Lifted from VT CR board | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Lifted from VT CR board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
FSU fans are football guys...not latte slurping biffs paging through lacrosse or basketball magazines while their gridiron squad attempts to make a play that will get them to look up for a moment and politely clap.

I wouldn't qualify us as anxious...more like pissed off.

An elite football school playing in a basketball conference....and when football carries the weight for media dollars, we have too many pennyweights.

Virginia has not won even 17% of their games with FSU.
North Carolina has not won even 14% of their games...
Syracuse is looking for their first ACC win against FSU as is Pitt

BC looks damn good in comparison...

That's too bad. Life sucks sometimes. Maryland did their part to help FSU's cause (at least as you and others with unfortunate narrow focus see it). I wouldn't count on Virginia, UNC, Syracuse, Pitt, Wake Forest, leaving any time soon, unless the conference completely collapses (which I don't see happening any time soon, if at all).

If FSU really only cares about football, they should simply drop all other sports and become independent. Or better yet, leave the NCAA and join a pro or semi-pro league. Since that is not happening, perhaps FSU can take up the challenge and be more competitive in other sports. Perhaps they would have had respectable records in other sports against Maryland, and the other current teams in the ACC that you are pissed at.

I do understand that football somehow still drives the bus. I find it increasingly boring, despite the "gridiron squad attempts to make a play." Seriously, football is still fine, but there is more out there.

Reaction Score
That's too bad. Life sucks sometimes. Maryland did their part to help FSU's cause (at least as you and others with unfortunate narrow focus see it). I wouldn't count on Virginia, UNC, Syracuse, Pitt, Wake Forest, leaving any time soon, unless the conference completely collapses (which I don't see happening any time soon, if at all).

If FSU really only cares about football, they should simply drop all other sports and become independent. Or better yet, leave the NCAA and join a pro or semi-pro league. Since that is not happening, perhaps FSU can take up the challenge and be more competitive in other sports. Perhaps they would have had respectable records in other sports against Maryland, and the other current teams in the ACC that you are pissed at.

I do understand that football somehow still drives the bus. I find it increasingly boring, despite the "gridiron squad attempts to make a play." Seriously, football is still fine, but there is more out there.

Football blows.

Reaction Score

If FSU really only cares about football, they should simply drop all other sports and become independent. Or better yet, leave the NCAA and join a pro or semi-pro league. Since that is not happening, perhaps FSU can take up the challenge and be more competitive in other sports. Perhaps they would have had respectable records in other sports against Maryland, and the other current teams in the ACC that you are pissed at

Putting aside the Maryland/UVA blood feud going on here, just two quick points. First, if the ACC collapses, UVA is likely safe as it is believe that the B1G has a lot of interest in them. The others noted, especially Wake, are likely screwed.

Also, putting aside FSU's infamous football program, FSU is a half-way decent program with 7 total NCAA titles, which is in the middle of the pack in the ACC, with strong programs in track, baseball, softball, women's soccer, and gymnastics. Their issue is, especially if they are thinking of the B1G far down the road should the ACC fall, is that they only sponsor 19 sports whereas the B1G programs on average offer 23 sport teams (Maryland just offers 19, second fewest in the conference).

Reaction Score
Putting aside the Maryland/UVA blood feud going on here, just two quick points. First, if the ACC collapses, UVA is likely safe as it is believe that the B1G has a lot of interest in them. The others noted, especially Wake, are likely screwed.

Also, putting aside FSU's infamous football program, FSU is a half-way decent program with 7 total NCAA titles, which is in the middle of the pack in the ACC, with strong programs in track, baseball, softball, women's soccer, and gymnastics. Their issue is, especially if they are thinking of the B1G far down the road should the ACC fall, is that they only sponsor 19 sports whereas the B1G programs on average offer 23 sport teams (Maryland just offers 19, second fewest in the conference).
With respect to the Maryland/Virginia feud here, I harbor no hatred for Virginia. Even if I did, I wouldn't leave a trail of posts stating over and again that hatred. My only issue is with one particular poster. It is also generally my policy to not tout my school and disparage other schools, especially not repeatedly, on another school's board. Like most people, I don't like my school unfairly disparaged. It's one thing if a UConn fan does it on this board, and I usually let it go when a fan from another school does it. But when it became repetitive and laced with slimy cheap shots, I responded.

My apologies, in particular to the UConn fans here, for my part in this feud. I do not anticipate responding directly or indirectly to the poster in question anymore. Besides, it appears most posters have him pegged pretty well, and have the same or worse opinion of him that I have. That's my final word on this issue.

On your next point, if the ACC collapses, I agree that Virginia will most likely get picked up by the Big Ten. I think UNC will also find another home, Big Ten, or possibly the SEC.

As for FSU, let me correct what I stated above. I agree that FSU does generally well in other sports. But they do/did not have the same dominance over Maryland, Virginia, etc., in other sports. So, in overall competiveness, the ACC is a good conference for FSU. If FSU really only cares about football, and are "pissed" about the competition, there are other options, including my above suggestions.

Reaction Score
I think it was 1993 - UConn beat Virginia so badly in Charlottesville that Jeff Jones apologized to the fans after the game.

At the time, it was UVa's worst home loss - something like 77-36. UConn won the return game in Hartford by about 30 a few seasons later.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it was Ray & Doron's 1st game. Allen came off the bench and I don't think I was more excited about a freshman ever after their 1st ever game. Also, I believe Donyell went nuts and was unstoppable.

Reaction Score
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it was Ray & Doron's 1st game. Allen came off the bench and I don't think I was more excited about a freshman ever after their 1st ever game. Also, I believe Donyell went nuts and was unstoppable.

I was at that game (in Charlottesville, UConn website says it was in Richmond, but it was not, it was in U Hall). I have never been so impressed with a UConn team. They absolutely dominated the game. It was 77 - 36, and that doesn't even indicated how much UConn overwhelmed the 'Hoos. I'm a fan of both teams, felt bad for UVA. The first indication of what was to come for UConn in the next several years, leading up to the '99 NC.

Reaction Score
http://www.nytimes.com/1993/11/30/s...a-offers-apologies-after-uconn-dashes-by.html

"I want to apologize to everybody who was here tonight for having to sit through something like that," Virginia Coach Jeff Jones said.

Connecticut Coach Jim Calhoun, recalling a 90-57 loss to St. John's in 1992, said: "I've been there. We took a 16-1 team into Madison Square Garden and lost by 33 points, so I sympathize with Jeff. But I must say that during the game, I wasn't feeling any sympathy."

Reaction Score
I don't often agree with Billybud, but I had to chuckle at the phrase "Latte slurping biffs." Visiting Charlottesville is definitely a different experience for us northerners. Guys wearing sports coats and ties during hot as duck* September in the south is something new to me. I hope that Delany is keeping his options open to non AAU Schools. I still believe that VPI is much more of a cultural and academic fit to the schools of The B1G.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I don't often agree with Billybud, but I had to chuckle at the phrase "Latte slurping biffs." Visiting Charlottesville is definitely a different experience for us northerners. Guys wearing sports coats and ties during hot as duck* September in the south is something new to me. I hope that Delany is keeping his options open to non AAU Schools. I still believe that VPI is much more of a cultural and academic fit to the schools of The B1G.

This over and over again. While I feel that UVA would be a good fit, especially with schools like Michigan and Northwestern, the culture of VT is much more in line with what the Big10 is about. If UNC is the big prize, than it's UVA all the way. If that happens, they are going to 20, imo.

BTW - There are a couple of long threads on their CR board about VT and theBig10. One poster is pushing it, but there are others who seem receptive to the idea.

Reaction Score
One of BC's bigger issues is facilities. They are behind just about everyone in the ACC and even UConn. Combined with some questionable hiring, and its easy to see what they are so behind. Syracuse, for better or worse, has at least been updating their facilities, including new Olympic fields and an indoor football practice facility on hill campus. Pitt even built a new venue a few years back for soccer, baseball, and softball.
They heard you Mr. Conehead. Now you know that the BC Administration is reading the Boneyard.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/91115/bc-announces-plan-for-indoor-football-facility

This will mean that Miami will be the only ACC member without a indoor football practice facility. You wouldn't think South Florida would need one, but they do have lightning to deal with.

Reaction Score
They heard you Mr. Conehead. Now you know that the BC Administration is reading the Boneyard.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/91115/bc-announces-plan-for-indoor-football-facility

This will mean that Miami will be the only ACC member without a indoor football practice facility. You wouldn't think South Florida would need one, but they do have lightning to deal with.
Stimpy after reading that..it's great they announced the "plans"..it will be greater when they actually put a shovel in the ground (looks to me they have no funding raised for it yet..and it will be fun to watch them fight to get approval to build it from the city!). I see Addazio commented on it as well saying how great it is to finally have a indoor facility. Too bad he'll never be there to see it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Stimpy after reading that..it's great they announced the "plans"..it will be greater when they actually put a shovel in the ground (looks to me they have no funding raised for it yet..and it will be fun to watch them fight to get approval to build it from the city!). I see Addazio commented on it as well saying how great it is to finally have a indoor facility. Too bad he'll never be there to see it.
I've been following Temple fight Philadelphia over zoning for a new football stadium. It's always an adventure to do stuff in a city. I'm sure Boston College will have challenges, but at least they are laying out their intentions.

Reaction Score

Beat me too it. The announcement is great for BC; but, they did not mention anything about current donors to the project and that they have not send the request to the City of Boston for approval. I have friends who can confirm how much fun that is.

Reaction Score
I've been following Temple fight Philadelphia over zoning for a new football stadium. It's always an adventure to do stuff in a city. I'm sure Boston College will have challenges, but at least they are laying out their intentions.
Intentions are great...but they are gonna need $$ to get that project done. This reminds me of the basketball facility here at UCONN..Hathaway jerked around for 8 years..Manuel was able to raise enough money to get the thing done in 18 months. Right now Bates is responsible for an embarrassing mess. Addazio can say all he wants...if he doesn't win the $$ won't be there to get it done. They are also gonna need $$ to buy him out.

Reaction Score

Big difference for Temple is that while the local residents will complain, putting a football stadium (along with other campus enhancements) will greatly approve a neighborhood in N Philly that needs more investments. The city itself is on board (and the University is a state school, not religious) and has been aggressively looking to improve the neighborhood between Temple and Center City. The market supports such a move because many of the neighborhoods to the south and east of Center City have been built-out and are now really expensive. With city hall and private investor support (not for the stadium itself; but, for the neighborhood), this will get done. BC, on the other hands, will be trying to build in equally dense neighborhood on the edge of Boston and shares a border with highly affluent and influential Newton. Residents of both have a strong history of blocking any attempts by BC to expand.

If I was a betting man, Temple will have their downtown, on-campus football stadium long before BC builds their indoor field. The bubble will live on!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

BC also has an advantage because they don't need any room for fans in their stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom