Lifted from VT CR board | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Lifted from VT CR board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So this started as a thread from a Michigan guy who copied a post from a VT CR board

Here's another VT CR lift from a another Michigan guy. Just wanted to show that they (VT) are talking about us (B1G) again. I think you two (VT/UConn) would make a lovely couple in the B1G.

What do you think Stimpy?

http://chat.virginiatech.sportswar.com/mid/7395283/board/vtrealignment/

So B1G schools LOVE playing VT and VT LOVE's playing the B1G.

And you can't help but think the OSU folks were mighty impressed when they visited Blacksburg and Lane Stadium recently.

So what's all of this tell ya?

BTW, it's seeped out that the Bama folks were pretty dang impressed when they got a taste of Hokie Nation back in 2009 down in Atlanta. It is said that encounter led to VT's being at the top of the SEC's list in 2012.

Is a move to the B1G possible for VT? The B1G shrugged at the $50 million Maryland buy out. VT is playing as many B1G schools the next decade as it's playing members of the Atlantic Division.

Reaction Score
Here's another VT CR lift from a another Michigan guy. Just wanted to show that they (VT) are talking about us (B1G) again. I think you two (VT/UConn) would make a lovely couple in the B1G.

What do you think Stimpy?

http://chat.virginiatech.sportswar.com/mid/7395283/board/vtrealignment/
There are 4 posters on the VT board that want to be in the B1G. There are about 4 more that want to be in the SEC. There are many others that like being in the geographic center of their conference. They did enjoy winning in Columbus, OH. We'll have to see if they can do that with the rest of the B1G. Jim Weaver scheduled a bunch of Big Ten games before he retired.

Reaction Score
So this started as a thread from a Michigan guy who copied a post from a VT CR board about a radio interview with the GT AD talking about the ACCN and now it’s progressed into an argument between a UVA guy and a Maryland guy over whose football sucks less. All this on a UConn CR board...this is why, as a Hoosier living in Texas, I'm a member of the Boneyard. : )
This has to be one of the top all time posts on TBY!

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
So this started as a thread from a Michigan guy who copied a post from a VT CR board about a radio interview with the GT AD talking about the ACCN and now it’s progressed into an argument between a UVA guy and a Maryland guy over whose football sucks less. All this on a UConn CR board...this is why, as a Hoosier living in Texas, I'm a member of the Boneyard. : )

The BYs reach is as far and wide as the conference UConn competes in. Welcome aboard, all. Except BCU fans. They can take a hike.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
From the same poster who brought you the claim that the ACC turned down Michigan, Penn State and NW because they we're going to get Purdue instead of Indiana:

Bottom line is AAU membership

if we do that, then VT and UVA can hike to the B1G.

candidly, why would we trade Duke for Illinois, Georgia Tech for Purdue and anyone in the ACC for the likes of Northwestern?

B1G membership has not been good for UMD and has been less than that for Rutgers.

My Internal sources say that the B1G is on the verge of collapsing.

Posted: 02/18/2016 at 2:16PM

My "internal sources" tell me I shouldn't have had that last bean burrito at dinner.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yes that was impressive. Unfortunately, we didn't get the opportunity to play.

We've been kicking UVa ass for years. On my one trip to Charlottesville we beat that John Crotty-Bryant Stith team. Listening to the campus station on the drive out was a highlight. I think there were real tears involved.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My "internal sources" tell me I shouldn't have had that last bean burrito at dinner.
As a positive, you may end up a bit less full of sh|t than some wahoo, bcu-ers, rutgals, free shoes' fanatic, some purported UConn fans, and run-of-the-mill knuckleheads filing FOIA requests with UConn. ;)

Reaction Score
We've been kicking UVa ass for years. On my one trip to Charlottesville we beat that John Crotty-Bryant Stith team. Listening to the campus station on the drive out was a real highlight. I think there were real tears involved.
OMG. John Crotty and Bryant Stith haven't played for UVA for 25 years. Bless you for even remembering those names. I've wanted the ACC to invite UConn for 3 years now. It looks like the Big XII will beat us to it. It's a P5 league that it would be just fine.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think it was 1993 - UConn beat Virginia so badly in Charlottesville that Jeff Jones apologized to the fans after the game.

At the time, it was UVa's worst home loss - something like 77-36. UConn won the return game in Hartford by about 30 a few seasons later.

Reaction Score
From the same poster who brought you the claim that the ACC turned down Michigan, Penn State and NW because they we're going to get Purdue instead of Indiana:

Someone call the FBI. We have a mad man on our hands.

Reaction Score
OMG. John Crotty and Bryant Stith haven't played for UVA for 25 years. Bless you for even remembering those names.
Crotty was there at the same time UVa lost that Sugar Bowl game you were touting when arguing with the Maryland poster. Bless you for even remembering that game.

Reaction Score
As the song says..Virginia is too old to live, too young to die. Like an awful Illinois will always be a Big Ten team, Virginia will be an ACC team.

A tradition steeped institution, Thomas Jefferson's child...the Hoo's have been awful in football for a while..but did win the baseball NC last year.

The "small sports" have been successful...men's soccer NC in 2014, men's tennis 2015...and many competitive teams.

Reaction Score
$2o million buys a lot of "tradition" and when the gap between the SEC/BIG and the ACC reaches that amount it is only a matter of time till someone in the ACC jumps. That timeline only accelerates if the B12 can build a network.

UVA may not be the first to leave but if the USS ACC starts sinking they'll get in the BIG lifeboat...

Not trying to sound like a moonshine drinking ACC apocalypse prophet but the money disparity is becoming larger. If the ACC cannot close the income gap they are likely to lose some teams.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
But we’re always getting better because we can't get worse and we refuse to believe we’re standing still.

Just moving very, very slowly. Don't know why IU football sucks really, there's no objective reason for it. I miss Bobby K.

Reaction Score
$2o million buys a lot of "tradition" and when the gap between the SEC/BIG and the ACC reaches that amount it is only a matter of time till someone in the ACC jumps. That timeline only accelerates if the B12 can build a network.

UVA may not be the first to leave but if the USS ACC starts sinking they'll get in the BIG lifeboat...

Not trying to sound like a moonshine drinking ACC apocalypse prophet but the money disparity is becoming larger. If the ACC cannot close the income gap they are likely to lose some teams.
When is the ACC contract up? No one else is going to make money like the B1G/SEC, but I'm sure the ACC in due time will keep relative pace. I hate the ACC for the role they have played in UConn's current predicament, but they are a solid leauge in both major sports. If they stick together, and history has shown those schools for the most part enjoy being in league with each other, they will be fine.

Reaction Score
Crotty was there at the same time UVa lost that Sugar Bowl game you were touting when arguing with the Maryland poster. Bless you for even remembering that game.
Who touted it? The Maryland poster made a false statement, which I corrected.

Reaction Score

Yes. When it does, members will take a look at it. Right now the gap is less than $5 million. Extra travel will eat that up in a minute.

Reaction Score
When is the ACC contract up? No one else is going to make money like the B1G/SEC, but I'm sure the ACC in due time will keep relative pace. I hate the ACC for the role they have played in UConn's current predicament, but they are a solid leauge in both major sports. If they stick together, and history has shown those schools for the most part enjoy being in league with each other, they will be fine.
In ten years or so. Most of the members of the ACC are happy being in the league together. Florida State fans get anxious from time to time when their team is down. When their team is doing well, they seem to be fine. They live in the middle of SEC country, so they want the ACC to have a good story to tell to those SEC fans. Their beating Auburn 3 years ago and Clemson coming within 5 of Alabama this year helps the cause.

Reaction Score
Florida State fans get anxious from time to time when their team is down.

"Anxious"?
  1. experiencing worry, unease, or nervousness, typically about an imminent event or something with an uncertain outcome:
    "she was extremely anxious about her exams"
  2. Desperately seeking: greener pastures, similarly supported football programs, additional opportunities for television exposure, etc. "Sighting Florida State's periodic anxieties, the ACC determined that FSU was a 'significant risk to flee’ and erected at $50 million fence around the conference."

Reaction Score
FSU fans are football guys...not latte slurping biffs paging through lacrosse or basketball magazines while their gridiron squad attempts to make a play that will get them to look up for a moment and politely clap.

I wouldn't qualify us as anxious...more like pissed off.

An elite football school playing in a basketball conference....and when football carries the weight for media dollars, we have too many pennyweights.

Virginia has not won even 17% of their games with FSU.
North Carolina has not won even 14% of their games...
Syracuse is looking for their first ACC win against FSU as is Pitt

BC looks damn good in comparison...

Reaction Score
Just moving very, very slowly. Don't know why IU football sucks really, there's no objective reason for it. I miss Bobby K.

IDK either really...I think some would say it was because we've never really been willing to pay coaches well enough. But I can't answer why that was the case other than basketball was king. I remember in the late 80s the athletics budget was around $21 million I think, I remember hearing that $20 million of that came from basketball. Not really sure if that was ever close to being true but that was the fans mindset, that basketball was most important. Anyway AD Glass is pushing in the right ways to make football better now...a long way to go but its absolutely getting better. The new contract extension puts Coach Wilson in the middle of the B1G in pay and his staff pay is more in-line with the B1G as well. That along with the upgrades already completed and those to be done over the next 5 years have and will continue to make us competitive on the facilities side.

Reaction Score
Why does Illinois suck?...they have been deader than disco.

Big State...resources...etc

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Why does Illinois suck?...they have been deader than disco.

Big State...resources...etc

They don't want to put the money in for their facilities and coaches. It's as simple as that. Wisconsin is the next to fall. There's a reason they have lost their last two coached to other schools, (one of them being Oregon Freaking State), they won't pay their assistant coaches enough to keep them.

Reaction Score
FSU fans are football guys...not latte slurping biffs paging through lacrosse or basketball magazines while their gridiron squad attempts to make a play that will get them to look up for a moment and politely clap.

I wouldn't qualify us as anxious...more like pissed off.

An elite football school playing in a basketball conference....and when football carries the weight for media dollars, we have too many pennyweights.

Virginia has not won even 17% of their games with FSU.
North Carolina has not won even 14% of their games...
Syracuse is looking for their first ACC win against FSU as is Pitt

BC looks damn good in comparison...
It's ironic that Mike London is 50% with both games in Tallahassee. That's crazy.

The key for FSU should be to have the best path to the Playoff and Championship. You have it right now. You've proven it. Why would you want to make that path more difficult by having more teams that you have a greater chance to lose to? If you were in the SEC, that's exactly what you'd have. South Carolina or Arkansas for instance will never sniff a major bowl. After two hall of fame coaches failed to get there at South Carolina. Give it up. Clemson on the other hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom