Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 897 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
I believe the B1G is watching, not necessarily with interest, but with curiosity(I guess thats interest) The people in those seats don't get there by leaving any stones unturned. Should Mora and the Pigskin men hit it out of the park this year, eyebrows will be raised in all the right places. I doubt there is anything we could possibly do for the SEC no matter how far we come.
Why? If Fox doesn't want to pay us more in the Big 12 vs the Big East, why would they want to pay even more in the B1G?

Reaction Score
Why? If Fox doesn't want to pay us more in the Big 12 vs the Big East, why would they want to pay even more in the B1G?
Do you believe that the Big Ten itself has no input, only Fox? Extrapolating Yormarks belief that hoops in undervalued, the B1G may have more interest in jacking up the Basketball end of things than the B12. Yeah it’s quite a stretch, but these folks always are looking for where a buck might come from.

Reaction Score
Do you believe that the Big Ten itself has no input, only Fox? Extrapolating Yormarks belief that hoops in undervalued, the B1G may have more interest in jacking up the Basketball end of things than the B12. Yeah it’s quite a stretch, but these folks always are looking for where a buck might come from.
We just need our foot in the door.

Reaction Score
there is no way on this earth that the B10 has any interest in UConn.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day this is it, right? At least we know that. We're never getting into the Big 10 or SEC, and we have the Big 12 commissioner going to bat for us with university presidents who owe him one after how well he did following the Pac 12 implosion. And we're coming off of back to back national championships with the highest profile coach in college basketball.

If we can't get in here, it's either stay where we are and kill football or join the remains of the ACC when it starts to fall apart. Neither are viable solutions long term and in my opinion we may as well stay in the Big East and get comfortable.
Sad to hear and you’re probably correct. If nothing happens here it’s time to take our football back and slink home.

Unfortunately Mom won’t have tomato soup and toasted cheese sandwiches for us.

Maybe the governor will give us all a big bottle of our favorite beverage.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I believe the B1G is watching, not necessarily with interest, but with curiosity(I guess thats interest) The people in those seats don't get there by leaving any stones unturned. Should Mora and the Pigskin men hit it out of the park this year, eyebrows will be raised in all the right places. I doubt there is anything we could possibly do for the SEC no matter how far we come.
The Big 10 just added 4 west coast schools and have Rutgers for NYC access and easy football wins for the rest of conference. I’d honestly say the SEC or the AFC East are more likely to come calling.

Reaction Score
The Big 10 just added 4 west coast schools and have Rutgers for NYC access and easy football wins for the rest of conference. I’d honestly say the SEC or the AFC East are more likely to come calling.
Let’s see if we can raise their FB eyebrows just a little bit. If we can’t then you and the mighty Patman are absolutely right. It’s an easy stance to take, like betting on the sun rising.

I got to UConn in the mid 80’s, went to school elsewhere. If you had asked me then to bet on how many National Championships we’d have in M&W hoops by now, I’d have laughed too.

I’d prefer to ask what is the best scenario for us and see what it would take to attain that.

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
if we have a solid season this year in football I think consideration would go up considerably (haha), I think these conversations will be a thing for a lot longer than we want.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sad to hear and you’re probably correct. If nothing happens here it’s time to take our football back and slink home.

Unfortunately Mom won’t have tomato soup and toasted cheese sandwiches for us.

Maybe the governor will give us all a big bottle of our favorite beverage.
Don’t forget 7th place ribbons.

Reaction Score
Earlier this summer before we got involved with B12 3.0, I posted a timeline and aggressive but doable actions to achieve consistent top 20 rankings, and have a shot at the playoffs( as an independent. That timeline was in the 15-20 year range. Can we sustain those efforts without a P? Invite? Whew, tough. With one, no problem.

Point is, one season is not going to do it, 10 is the minimum “buy in”. Doable? Yes. Probable?

Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
40% chance? not great
He seems to have no inside info. I think something like a 40% chance of a yes vote happening in September is a reasonable prediction, but a 40% chance of it ever happening seems too low. It appears the consulting firm for the big 12 has concluded that adding UConn will be a good long term financial move. But I think the presidents will want to wait to vote until later in the season or after the season partly because they want to do it when UConn football has won some more games in order to appease the concerns of the fans. If UConn had won 7 or 8 games last year after winning 6 games two years ago, then I think UConn would have already got the invite earlier in the summer. Right now football matters tremendously to the schools opposing the addition of UConn.

Reaction Score
He seems to have no inside info. I think something like a 40% chance of a yes vote happening in September is a reasonable prediction, but a 40% chance of it ever happening seems too low. It appears the consulting firm for the big 12 has concluded that adding UConn will be a good long term financial move. But I think the presidents will want to wait to vote until later in the season or after the season partly because they want to do it when UConn football has won some more games in order to appease the concerns of the fans. If UConn had won 7 or 8 games last year after winning 6 games two years ago, then I think UConn would have already got the invite earlier in the summer. Right now football matters tremendously to the schools opposing the addition of UConn.
I think this is what drives UConn fans nuts, or definitely myself nuts. The football was so bad over the last decade-plus and whenever UConn had to right the ship, it just got worse. What you said encapsulates why last year was so deflating. Instead of gaining momentum and building off of the 6-6 season, last year was deep sixed and I knew it during the Georgia State game when UConn was down early in the 2nd half 28-0. Even if they won the Utah St game and the South Florida game, they would have been 5-7 and optically speaking that looks a lot better than 3-9.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think this is what drives UConn fans nuts, or definitely myself nuts. The football was so bad over the last decade-plus and whenever UConn had to right the ship, it just got worse. What you said encapsulates why last year was so deflating. Instead of gaining momentum and building off of the 6-6 season, last year was deep sixed and I knew it during the Georgia State game when UConn was down early in the 2nd half 28-0. Even if they won the Utah St game and the South Florida game, they would have been 5-7 and optically speaking that looks a lot better than 3-9.

This has very little to do with how bad the football team is or has been in recent years. UConn's problem is that the two leagues that regionally make the most sense, the Big 10 and ACC, don't think they need us. The Big 10 has PSU and Rutgers for the northeast, and Rutgers was a huge mistake for them and has probably made them gun shy about going east. The ACC probably knows they don't have the market, but BCU keeps blocking us.

So now we have to convince one of the other two leagues, which are pretty far away, to take us. It will be a challenge.

Reaction Score
This has very little to do with how bad the football team is or has been in recent years. UConn's problem is that the two leagues that regionally make the most sense, the Big 10 and ACC, don't think they need us. The Big 10 has PSU and Rutgers for the northeast, and Rutgers was a huge mistake for them and has probably made them gun shy about going east. The ACC probably knows they don't have the market, but BCU keeps blocking us.

So now we have to convince one of the other two leagues, which are pretty far away, to take us. It will be a challenge.
Respectfully, I am not with you on this one. If one thing conference realignment has shown us is that the team being added to a conference doesn't need to be in close proximity to the rest of the conference members. If UConn Football was great, I know they are not, but if they were, a conference would have added them long time ago and even more recently considering their basketball success. None of the reasons you listed for conferences being hesitant would have blocked UConn.

The thing is UConn Football does not even need to be really good, it just needs to be good enough. What does good enough mean? It means 1) playing competitively on the field and not looking like a team of middle schoolers overmatched going against high school seniors and 2) having an 80% capacity at the Rent for a loud raucous environment that looks and sounds good on TV. With the level of football played in the last decade-plus years, especially the Randy Edsall 2.0 years, would come close to being good enough football for conferences that are looking to add.

Reaction Score
Definitely looking more and more likely UConn got played again. It is bad enough with the negativity outside, but when some of our own fans and public figures are so adamant against this move, it is not a good look. Not surprised, but disappointed.
Again, this got leaked to a podcaster for exactly this reason. They knew the sentimentalist would start crying about their beloved bus trips and soon after the Chris Murphy types would crap on a potential move.

Why do i say this? The source went from they "definitely" have the votes to only 8 or 9 votes. That's how you cut this things legs off before they move.

Going forward, Benedict, Toscano and Burton are going to have to be super secretive about this. There are traitors among us.

Reaction Score
Again, this got leaked to a podcaster for exactly this reason. They knew the sentimentalist would start crying about their beloved bus trips and soon after the Chris Murphy types would crap on a potential move.

Why do i say this? The source went from they "definitely" have the votes to only 8 or 9 votes. That's how you cut this things legs off before they move.

Going forward, Benedict, Toscano and Burton are going to have to be super secretive about this. There are traitors among us.
Why would Benedict, Toscano, and Burton not be super secretive now if they want us in the Big 12 and someone from CT leaking it would blow up the deal?

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Odd question. I know the football record has been poor. Why haven’t we gone out and overpaid for a Huge name in coaching? Would that soften the stance on record?

Example a std p4 coach makes xxx. Triple that.

Then you get your conference goals. The excitement of they hired so and so. Almost like the Dion Sanders factor.

Whatever names from the NFL you could get.

Reaction Score
Odd question. I know the football record has been poor. Why haven’t we gone out and overpaid for a Huge name in coaching? Would that soften the stance on record?

Then you get your conference goals. The excitement of they hired so and so. Almost like the Dion Sanders factor.

Conflicting priorities and needs. UConn under heavy $$ pressure in last 5-10 years. Upgrading FB was a hard sell, both to donors and the State. People are enjoying the glow of consecutive titles, and coming to the realization that that glow will be in the rear view if we don’t get shipshape(P3/4) asap.

Reaction Score

Where is this $15M-$20M/year coming from to pay this head coach and staff?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom