Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 892 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
IMG_4053.jpeg

Like an odd choice of host for the football coach's show.

Reaction Score
I am not as concerned about FOX not being supportive now given ESPN’s support. FOX is only against the move until there is some outcome beneficial to them that gets driven out of it. As an example, when Texas and OU wanted to leave early to go to the SEC this year, FOX was against until they were able to negotiate Texas and Michigan flipping the home/away games on their home and home series this year so that FOX still got to broadcast a Texas game.

The discussions will continue and there are (legitimate) concerns that need to be smoothed over before we are added. The fact that the conversations will continue in an effort to ease those concerns and that both the hired third-party media company, commissioner, and (half) of the TV partners are supportive is a good thing.

Remember, Cal, Stanford and SMU additions took time too. Oregon and Washington originally didn‘t have support from FOX and the B1G. These things take time.
Fox gets us on the cheap now and we keep the BE relevant . Why would they want to damage one of their properties and pay more for the privilege

Reaction Score
There are also concerns that UConn is "one of the most heavily subsidized public FBS athletic departments in the country,"

The fact that any "serious" person doesn't understand WHY that's the case is still so incredibly dumbfounding. It's actually pure stupidity. Do they think 1+1=3? In one breathe they complain we don't spend enough money, in another breathe we spend too much money.
Where do they think the money should be coming from? We're a football independent. Donors? The school's endowment? It's like not hiring someone to a good-paying job despite their tremendous qualifications because they currently don't earn enough money from their freelance gig.

Which, come to think of it, is kind of how our society works, isn't it?

Reaction Score
There are also concerns that UConn is "one of the most heavily subsidized public FBS athletic departments in the country,"

The fact that any "serious" person doesn't understand WHY that's the case is still so incredibly dumbfounding. It's actually pure stupidity. Do they think 1+1=3? In one breathe they complain we don't spend enough money, in another breathe we spend too much money.
I don't think the spending is the issue. It's from where the money they are spending comes. They'd much rather the money come from a large base of donors than from a state government. A lot has to happen to turn off each individual donor spigot than does the current government subsidy.

Reaction Score
Where do they think the money should be coming from? We're a football independent. Donors? The school's endowment? It's like not hiring someone to a good-paying job despite their tremendous qualifications because they currently don't earn enough money from their freelance gig.

Which, come to think of it, is kind of how our society works, isn't it?
It's just people who don't want us making up reasons. You spend too much money guys. We don't want you because you don't spend enough money. If we do let you in were not going to spend any money on you and expect you to spend your own money to get better. But we have concerns you spend too much money.

It's bizzaro world stuff

Reaction Score
I don't think the spending is the issue. It's from where the money they are spending comes. They'd much rather the money come from a large base of donors than from a state government. A lot has to happen to turn off each individual donor spigot than does the current government subsidy.
It makes no sense. Green is green. A major donor of a university that props up a program can die and their kids could say screw it I want a yacht not club seats at a football game. It's no different than fears the state would pull back on funding.

Reaction Score
Fox gets us on the cheap now and we keep the BE relevant . Why would they want to damage one of their properties and pay more for the privilege
This feels illegal but it's probably not. It's surely a conflict of interest.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Bingo- the concern is the lack of big time athletics donors/fundraising (which is something UConn has struggled with for years). Relying on the state to fund improvements to facilities (look at how long its taken to do anything at The Rent, XL, Gampel as an example) rather than a large base of donors is one of many things that highlight the existing issue, along with the lack of initiative related to NIL and low fundraising amount as it relates to football.

I would hope as part of the presentation, AD David Benedict has a list of high end donors willing to step up with multi-year commitments once it becomes official.

Reaction Score
6/8 is a 75% clip. If the other teams are 8/8 (not impossible, as I feel teams opposed to us would be most likely to leak) we probably sneak in, but 12/16 sound acrimonious.
Once they get the 12th vote, it will be unanimous. Only the B1G had negative votes when PSU was invited. All the other additions were unanimous.

Reaction Score
The difference of course is the media money, of which UConn receives very little. If UConn joined the B12, it would instantly vault into the top quarter of the league in spending, even if it reduced it's university subsidy by $20m. And then if it became really aggressive in fake accounting, it would take all the branding revenue for the entire university and include that as athletics income. That's just one common trick. There are many more.

Reaction Score
Bingo- the concern is the lack of big time athletics donors/fundraising (which is something UConn has struggled with for years). Relying on the state to fund improvements to facilities (look at how long its taken to do anything at The Rent, XL, Gampel as an example) rather than a large base of donors is one of many things that highlight the existing issue, along with the lack of initiative related to NIL and low fundraising amount as it relates to football.

I would hope as part of the presentation, AD David Benedict has a list of high end donors willing to step up with multi-year commitments once it becomes official.
The vast majority of P4 schools rely on the state for facility improvements. Michigan does. Texas does. Donors don't pay for stadiums, except in the case of T Boone Pickens and the $450m he donated (then rescinded because he lost all his money, only to give it again a decade later). The bonding for those projects goes through the school, not the AD. So does the debt service. You won't see debt service for facilities on the AD's balance sheet. And if donors pony up for stadiums, the money never goes to the construction of the stadium itself. Instead, it becomes athletic donor revenue.

I've long said that the top programs could professionalize and use the university brand if they wanted to, but the only thing holding them back is the fact that so many universities owe hundreds of millions, if not billions, on facilities. Look at Cal-Berkeley. That's a massive hole in the budget.

Reaction Score
Our state media is worthless
There is only one or two left. They can’t do everything. And, there is no dedicated college football writer at any of the legacy papers.

Ralph is one of the best in the business and actually cares about the big 12.

Reaction Score
Gotta wonder which of the 8 schools voted yes or no and which ones of the remaining 8 are left undecided.

And what it would take to sweeten the deal for everyone so we get the 12 needed votes.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think the only thing left of concern is finding out when they will take an official vote. Especially if Zanetto is correct that the needed votes are secured and all these meetings are formalities. You'd think the final pitch and vote would be before College Football really kicks off.

Reaction Score
I think the only thing left of concern is finding out when they will take an official vote. Especially if Zanetto is correct that the needed votes are secured and all these meetings are formalities. You'd think the final pitch and vote would be before College Football really kicks off.
My way of thinking is it is either tomorrow because they have the votes or "still working out the details" because BY doesn't have the votes and turns to hoping that Mora's boys change some minds by not being awful.

Reaction Score
Gotta wonder which of the 8 schools voted yes or no and which ones of the remaining 8 are left undecided.

And what it would take to sweeten the deal for everyone so we get the 12 needed votes.
Hopefully don’t need to sweeten it if Yormark & Endeavor can convince 6 of them to join the 6 schools already on board. If they’re on the fence, the benefit of the doubt should go to Yormark.

Reaction Score
I don’t really understand the assumption that yormark still has the votes when it was just reported that the unofficial vote was 6-2 and at least a couple schools still needed convincing. Otherwise wouldn’t the latest intel be along the lines of “yormark still has the votes…”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CajunHusk94

Top Bottom