Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 891 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score

GG

Reaction Score
Putting two-and-two together, maybe that is the purpose for the leak that was made on Friday by the B12.

Initial B12 conversations with Fox about UConn expansion probably came back "there is no chance we are giving additional $ for UConn since we already have them locked in on the cheap with the Big East with the new BE contract". But the whole "all-sport in '26 and football in '31 for the B12" may be a planned leak to push them to give some additional $ for the UConn B12 expansion (certainly won't be pro-rata, but can we get half of the Fox pro-rata rate?).
Safe to say, the media partners probably get really excited about the prospect of UConn playing some of these top teams in the Big 12.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
What makes no sense to me is that if we were going to be the team that goes with Colorado pre-collapse, didn't they already do this stuff? It doesn't add up. It's not like anything has materially changed
It’s a process every time, even if you lean towards an outcome you still have to go through the steps/check the boxes. Sports media landscape has changed even in the last 12 months, plus there’s 4 new Big 12 members who weren’t here to consider UConn’s candidacy last go round that need to understand the numbers, learn about the school and potential fit, etc

Drew

Reaction Score

Big 12 presidents were briefed Monday about the possible addition of UConn to the league without taking action, CBS Sports has learned. The league's lack of unanimity on the issue will require ongoing discussions as the possible next round of realignment looms, sources told CBS Sports.

CBS Sports was able to verify six Big 12 schools in favor of UConn's addition with two against if a vote were taken today. Those schools did not want to be identified because of the sensitivity of the issue. It takes a super majority (at least 12 of the 16 Big 12 schools) to approve such a move.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score

Big 12 presidents were briefed Monday about the possible addition of UConn to the league without taking action, CBS Sports has learned. The league's lack of unanimity on the issue will require ongoing discussions as the possible next round of realignment looms, sources told CBS Sports.

CBS Sports was able to verify six Big 12 schools in favor of UConn's addition with two against if a vote were taken today. Those schools did not want to be identified because of the sensitivity of the issue. It takes a super majority (at least 12 of the 16 Big 12 schools) to approve such a move.

Don’t think this is good for us. Even though that puts us at a 75% pace, I doubt they add us with that much dissent. Fox opposing is also bad.

I think the most likely scenario is this being “postponed” but UConn taking a spot from BC or Wake if & when the ACC falls apart.

Reaction Score
Don’t think this is good for us. Even though that puts us at a 75% pace, I doubt they add us with that much dissent. Fox opposing is also bad.
Aren't we at 50%? We need 12 Yes votes and we have 6 so far that we know of.

2 are No's and 8 are unknown or undecided.

Hope Yormark can convince them.

Last edited:

Drew

Reaction Score

I think the most likely scenario is this being “postponed” but UConn taking a spot from BC or Wake if & when the ACC falls apart.
I am not as concerned about FOX not being supportive now given ESPN’s support. FOX is only against the move until there is some outcome beneficial to them that gets driven out of it. As an example, when Texas and OU wanted to leave early to go to the SEC this year, FOX was against until they were able to negotiate Texas and Michigan flipping the home/away games on their home and home series this year so that FOX still got to broadcast a Texas game.

The discussions will continue and there are (legitimate) concerns that need to be smoothed over before we are added. The fact that the conversations will continue in an effort to ease those concerns and that both the hired third-party media company, commissioner, and (half) of the TV partners are supportive is a good thing.

Remember, Cal, Stanford and SMU additions took time too. Oregon and Washington originally didn‘t have support from FOX and the B1G. These things take time.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Aren't we at 50%? We need 12 Yes votes and we have 6.

6/8 is a 75% clip. If the other teams are 8/8 (not impossible, as I feel teams opposed to us would be most likely to leak) we probably sneak in, but 12/16 sound acrimonious.

Drew

Reaction Score
6/8 is a 75% clip. If the other teams are 8/8 (not impossible, as I feel teams opposed to us would be most likely to leak) we probably sneak in, but 12/16 sound acrimonious.
Just remember, Calford and SMU were added to the ACC with the minimum number of “yes” votes needed- NC State had to flip to make it happen.

Reaction Score
Wondering if the following scenario has been pursued (or will be pursued): to maintain the Big East with UConn staying, Fox offers UConn a sizeable football tv deal that is conditioned on UConn remaining in the Big East for basketball?

Reaction Score

There are also concerns that UConn is "one of the most heavily subsidized public FBS athletic departments in the country,"

The fact that any "serious" person doesn't understand WHY that's the case is still so incredibly dumbfounding. It's actually pure stupidity. Do they think 1+1=3? In one breathe they complain we don't spend enough money, in another breathe we spend too much money.

Drew

Reaction Score
Wondering if the following scenario has been pursued (or will be pursued): to maintain the Big East with UConn staying, Fox offers UConn a sizeable football tv deal that is conditioned on UConn remaining in the Big East for basketball?
Doubtful as the CBSSN deal goes through this year with two separate 2 year extension options where CBSSN also gets the first right of refusal if another offer comes in

GG

Reaction Score

How do you know Fox opposed this? Are you speculating?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CajunHusk94

Top Bottom