Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 890 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but I firmly believe that UConn entering the Big 12 now will enhance certain ACC schools in the future to feel better about joining if a B1G/SEC invite isn't available. I believe our east coast location, our academics and our championship DNA will matter to other East coast institutions.

Reaction Score
This is a good thing for our candiancy.

Said another way: Big 12’s media consultants came in and talked to the decision makers about UConn’s media value and how it would translate with Big 12 membership- those conversations were positive/productive enough that the decision makers are willing to continue down the path on this and didn’t immediately say “thanks but no thanks”
Yes it is a good thing.

Reaction Score
Yup. And it’s also reported that ESPN would pony up for UConn this year too but Fox will not (since they have us for cheap). So that’s the issue.

The fact that talks continue is in our favor.
Why can’t Fox shave off from the big east contract whatever they would pay us in the big 12? they could renegotiate the BE deal if schools left

Reaction Score
I'm glad to see so much optimism here for the Big 12. Don't let them bring you down! However, to me.. the longer this drags on, the less likely it seems we'll get in—it's just how realignment has worked for us. One thing is for sure: 'imminent' was off.

Reaction Score
I'm glad to see so much optimism here for the Big 12. Don't let them bring you down! However, to me.. the longer this drags on, the less likely it seems we'll get in—it's just how realignment has worked for us. One thing is for sure: 'imminent' was off.
It's hard to say how long it's "dragged on" for certain. We pitched to the XII in 2016 and last year. These reports broke last Friday but renewed talks have been certainly going on for a while. Hopefully today was the last piece of the puzzle ($) before a vote.

Reaction Score
It's hard to say how long it's "dragged on" for certain. We pitched to the XII in 2016 and last year. These reports broke last Friday but renewed talks have been certainly going on for a while. Hopefully today was the last piece of the puzzle ($) before a vote.
Hopefully this drama doesn't play out through the entire football season. Talk about a distraction. @GoKU any feel for how long this would LIKELY play out?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Why can’t Fox shave off from the big east contract whatever they would pay us in the big 12? they could renegotiate the BE deal if schools left
Putting two-and-two together, maybe that is the purpose for the leak that was made on Friday by the B12.

Initial B12 conversations with Fox about UConn expansion probably came back "there is no chance we are giving additional $ for UConn since we already have them locked in on the cheap with the Big East with the new BE contract". But the whole "all-sport in '26 and football in '31 for the B12" may be a planned leak to push them to give some additional $ for the UConn B12 expansion (certainly won't be pro-rata, but can we get half of the Fox pro-rata rate?).

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
What dragging on? The process only officially began last week.

Reaction Score
You have to remember, there are only 8 schools in the current Big 12 that were in the Big 12 back in 2016. The other 8 have to be brought up to speed on what UConn does for the Big 12. This vetting by the Big 12 seems much deeper than what happened in 2023. In 2023, the Big 12 was looking for a 14th school to pair with Colorado and this time it feels like a UConn add is positioning the Big 12 for the future.

Reaction Score
That's what the Front Office Sports story above said what would happen to the Big East contract. I don't know if we would get the money, though. The other schools have to get some money to offset their travel costs in order to make it revenue-neutral for them.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

UConn talk starts around 1:15 mark and only two minutes. The short clip in the tweet pretty much sums it up.

It’s weird because I thought Vannini was initially saying it was a done deal but maybe that was me projecting lol

Reaction Score
What is the “Big12 Consultant’s Endeavor”?
Endeavor is the name of the outside consultants the Big 12 hired specifically for branding and sports media.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CajunHusk94

Top Bottom