Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 896 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
"I think that UConn’s got to set its priorities. They have one of the biggest grants per capita of any state university in the country," Lamont said. "So rather than ask the taxpayers to do a little bit more ... but let me see what the proposal is coming in, there may be a private/public partnership that makes some sense in this, as well." <-
Don't know what Lamont is saying here, but this is absolutely untrue. Storrs campus does not have anywhere near one of the biggest grants per capita.

Reaction Score
We are at the “ where UConn cant do what is financially in their best interest portion of the expansion talk”

UConn, I swear, is treated like Notre Dame in this regard.

UCLA leaving PAC-6? Nothing .

SMU to the ACC along with Stanford! What a great job by SMU to be relevant, what a job .

UConn trying to keep its athletic department with peer institutions so it can maximize revenue and long term compete? WHY MUST THEY RUIN WHAT THEY ARE GOOD AT.
Right now we are beating up on the Lilliputians once the conference basketball season starts. And as I have said for years, our peers are not mid-size private religiously affiliated schools urban schools. We are a major public university with significant Doctoral programs in many fields, a medical school, a law school, a business school where they do actual research, not just hand out MBAs and pocket the cash from local employers. We are trying to do what 45 of our peers are doing. But we should be happy being the bengal tiger in the house at cage.

Reaction Score
We are at the “ where UConn cant do what is financially in their best interest portion of the expansion talk”

SMU to the ACC along with Stanford! What a great job by SMU to be relevant, what a job .

UConn trying to keep its athletic department with peer institutions so it can maximize revenue and long term compete? WHY MUST THEY RUIN WHAT THEY ARE GOOD AT.
Because UConn basketball is special

Reaction Score

I truly believe big media outlets and journalists just want basketball schools to "stay in their lane" and not make noise. As many have pointed out, no school has ever been invited to a power conference for their performances in sports aside football.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
The fact that two B12 schools went "on the record" as NO votes is not a good sign.

Pair that with the fact that this was leaked to the media just before the presentation from the consultants, and it feels like Yormark's UConn expansion is being sabotaged from within.

My guess is if this is not finalized and voted on by this Friday, it is dead in the water.
It could very well be a no, but where have you heard that they’re voting this on Friday because I have not seen anything to that point

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Saw an article on espn that said Ohio st spent 20 M on nil for fb. That’s crazy
It’s a good thing we aren’t competing with OSU or trying to be OSU. We are trying to survive and stay relevant. No one‘s gonna want to see what our revenue is going to be if we don’t make it into the big 12 and the ACC gets poached. What’s left will be G5 money

Reaction Score
I just hope the people making the decisions for UConn don’t throw a way what we have with our basketball
That point has been addressed many times. Being in the strongest conference in the country for men's hoops and a significant upgrade for women's is not a step backwards. Doing nothing is the only thing that guarantees we fall behind in all sports. The timing is unclear, but the lack of revenue and the fact we have no leverage as an outsider is very clear. So we aren't "throwing away" anything. We are adjusting to the landscape and preparing for the future.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Don't know what Lamont is saying here, but this is absolutely untrue. Storrs campus does not have anywhere near one of the biggest grants per capita.
If he's talking just about athletics we do. But overall he's way off.

Reaction Score
Have we ever had another conference commissioner pulling for us like this? It will be very demoralizing if we can't get in with this kind of support.
Plus the Big 12 Conference must be paying beaucoup bucks to Endeavor and Endeavor is in favor of it. Listen to Endeavor, Presidents, you are paying for their advice!

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
IMG_8449.gif

Reaction Score
When doing this kind of initiative, the academic quality of the university could plummet. This sounds like someone trying to get votes.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
No issues with Murphy's comments. It's the sentiment of at least half the fanbase.
But it is completely misinformed. Even if you only care about the Basketball Program (which is idiotic, but that is a separate issue), then you have to make the move to the B12. You can be disappointed that it has gotten to the point it has, that is fine. But saying "we don't need to make the change because we are have proven we can be successful in the Big East" is ignorant to what is going to happen to College Athletics in the next 5 years.

It is akin to the Blockbuster BOD laughing Netflix out to the boardroom in the year 2000 when they could have bought them for $50MM. Blockbuster laughed them out of the room as they thought "we own 90% of the movie rental business and own the industry. We don't need the online capabilities of Netflix as we can just dominate them out of the market". We all know how that turned out.

The entire landscape of college athletics is going change in over the next 5 years. If we do not make this B12 move now, then we will become irrelevant as an Athletic Department in 15 years. While we may not be excited that we have gotten tot his point, it is the reality and we must adjust or die. Let's not be arrogant and end up like Blockbuster! :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CajunHusk94

Top Bottom