Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 896 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
I just hope the people making the decisions for UConn don’t throw a way what we have with our basketball
That point has been addressed many times. Being in the strongest conference in the country for men's hoops and a significant upgrade for women's is not a step backwards. Doing nothing is the only thing that guarantees we fall behind in all sports. The timing is unclear, but the lack of revenue and the fact we have no leverage as an outsider is very clear. So we aren't "throwing away" anything. We are adjusting to the landscape and preparing for the future.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Don't know what Lamont is saying here, but this is absolutely untrue. Storrs campus does not have anywhere near one of the biggest grants per capita.
If he's talking just about athletics we do. But overall he's way off.

Reaction Score
Have we ever had another conference commissioner pulling for us like this? It will be very demoralizing if we can't get in with this kind of support.
Plus the Big 12 Conference must be paying beaucoup bucks to Endeavor and Endeavor is in favor of it. Listen to Endeavor, Presidents, you are paying for their advice!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nor should they. UConn can build its stadium,
I agree. But I'm pretty sure that all of the on-campus stadium proponents here are expecting the state to pick the tab, or at least most of it.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
IMG_8449.gif

Reaction Score
When doing this kind of initiative, the academic quality of the university could plummet. This sounds like someone trying to get votes.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
No issues with Murphy's comments. It's the sentiment of at least half the fanbase.
But it is completely misinformed. Even if you only care about the Basketball Program (which is idiotic, but that is a separate issue), then you have to make the move to the B12. You can be disappointed that it has gotten to the point it has, that is fine. But saying "we don't need to make the change because we are have proven we can be successful in the Big East" is ignorant to what is going to happen to College Athletics in the next 5 years.

It is akin to the Blockbuster BOD laughing Netflix out to the boardroom in the year 2000 when they could have bought them for $50MM. Blockbuster laughed them out of the room as they thought "we own 90% of the movie rental business and own the industry. We don't need the online capabilities of Netflix as we can just dominate them out of the market". We all know how that turned out.

The entire landscape of college athletics is going change in over the next 5 years. If we do not make this B12 move now, then we will become irrelevant as an Athletic Department in 15 years. While we may not be excited that we have gotten tot his point, it is the reality and we must adjust or die. Let's not be arrogant and end up like Blockbuster! :)

Reaction Score
But it is completely misinformed. Even if you only care about the Basketball Program (which is idiotic, but that is a separate issue), then you have to make the move to the B12. You can be disappointed that it has gotten to the point it has, that is fine. But saying "we don't need to make the change because we are have proven we can be successful in the Big East" is ignorant to what is going to happen to College Athletics in the next 5 years.

It is akin to the Blockbuster BOD laughing Netflix out to the boardroom in the year 2000 when they could have bought them for $50MM. Blockbuster laughed them out of the room as they thought "we own 90% of the movie rental business and own the industry. We don't need the online capabilities of Netflix as we can just dominate them out of the market". We all know how that turned out.

The entire landscape of college athletics is going change in over the next 5 years. If we do not make this B12 move now, then we will become irrelevant as an Athletic Department in 15 years. While we may not be excited that we have gotten tot his point, it is the reality and we must adjust or die. Let's not be arrogant and end up like Blockbuster! :)
Facts!

Reaction Score
Have we ever had another conference commissioner pulling for us like this? It will be very demoralizing if we can't get in with this kind of support.
At the end of the day this is it, right? At least we know that. We're never getting into the Big 10 or SEC, and we have the Big 12 commissioner going to bat for us with university presidents who owe him one after how well he did following the Pac 12 implosion. And we're coming off of back to back national championships with the highest profile coach in college basketball.

If we can't get in here, it's either stay where we are and kill football or join the remains of the ACC when it starts to fall apart. Neither are viable solutions long term and in my opinion we may as well stay in the Big East and get comfortable.

Reaction Score
I believe the B1G is watching, not necessarily with interest, but with curiosity(I guess thats interest) The people in those seats don't get there by leaving any stones unturned. Should Mora and the Pigskin men hit it out of the park this year, eyebrows will be raised in all the right places. I doubt there is anything we could possibly do for the SEC no matter how far we come.

Reaction Score
I believe the B1G is watching, not necessarily with interest, but with curiosity(I guess thats interest) The people in those seats don't get there by leaving any stones unturned. Should Mora and the Pigskin men hit it out of the park this year, eyebrows will be raised in all the right places. I doubt there is anything we could possibly do for the SEC no matter how far we come
Ok pump the breaks, AllHusky.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom