Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 156 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
He said massive transaction. That means Fox got the 2nd half of B1G's TV package.
Nah he's around - it's almost certainly something related to personnel on the studio show.

But the "not yet" part is worth noticing.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Has to be related to TV rights or conference realignment. Could be FSU announcing their departure of the ACC for the B1G?

If that happened, there is no doubt UCONN would be in the short list for the ACC.

Am i the only one who thinks it is absolutely ridiculous that FSU is mentioned with the B1G? They are the #2 school in their state...not flagship..and they have questionable ethics and academics. UVA....UNC...I understand. FSU....not so much.

Reaction Score
I think they could win a FB NC sometime in near future though. They are almost there.

Reaction Score
Dennis Dodd ‏@dennisdoddcbs 2h2 hours ago
It sure seemed like the B12’s biggest expansion proponent walked back the idea today. OU’s David Boren:

Behind the hype: Oklahoma president calms down Big 12 expansion talk - CBSSports.com

This was the powerful president's chance to stir the expansion pot further. On his turf. To send a message to the world. After that hour, it sounded a lot the Big 12 may just take a pass on the whole thing -- expansion, network, championship game.

"I think we kind got out ahead of ourselves," Boren said. "Somehow, the speculation got out ahead of what the reality on the ground is."

He added: "I personally do not have any candidates at this point."

"If you're not going to have a network, you don't need to have an expansion," he said.

And a network -- it should be stressed -- is the least likely outcome of this discussion. The demographics don't seem to be there. History may record the SEC and Big Ten networks as colossal successes -- and that's it.

But now we're in a different economy. There's not as much money. ESPN and Fox already own the rights for most of the Big 12 expansion candidates you can name. Why would they want to pay more for those rights?

Reaction Score
It sure seemed like the B12’s biggest expansion proponent walked back the idea today. OU’s David Boren:

Behind the hype: Oklahoma president calms down Big 12 expansion talk - CBSSports.com

This was the powerful president's chance to stir the expansion pot further. On his turf. To send a message to the world. After that hour, it sounded a lot the Big 12 may just take a pass on the whole thing -- expansion, network, championship game.

"I think we kind got out ahead of ourselves," Boren said. "Somehow, the speculation got out ahead of what the reality on the ground is."

He added: "I personally do not have any candidates at this point."

"If you're not going to have a network, you don't need to have an expansion," he said.

And a network -- it should be stressed -- is the least likely outcome of this discussion. The demographics don't seem to be there. History may record the SEC and Big Ten networks as colossal successes -- and that's it.

But now we're in a different economy. There's not as much money. ESPN and Fox already own the rights for most of the Big 12 expansion candidates you can name. Why would they want to pay more for those rights?
Where's that Price is Right horn?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Chuck CarltonVerified account‏@ChuckCarltonDMN
While Texas has been publicly quiet in Big 12 debate, here's a look at where UT stands on expansion and a network.

Carlton: What Texas needs from the Big 12 when it comes to expansion, the Longhorn Network | SportsDay
Texas wants quality candidates if the Big 12 does add schools, ones that bring value athletically and just as much academically.

Hmmn... Who could meet that criteria?

OU’s David Boren:

You don't expand unless you're creating game inventory for that network.

Hmmn... Who out there brings quality across a broad range of sports?

Reaction Score
This doozy from Dodd's article, he's such a . We've heard this a million times its such BS though

The truth is, if all these schools were such a good "fit," they'd be in Power Five leagues already. The market has spoken. For whatever reason, Connecticut, Memphis, UCF, etc. didn't make the cut when conferences were deciding the best combination to present to networks in order to make the most money.

Reaction Score
That doesn't sound that bad. He's just trying to get people to back off a little. The whole thing is easier done in the dark. Way too much press involved at this point. Again, what other conference conducted this process in public?

We get upset about comments these guys make about UConn. Imagine what they would have said about Rutgers had the B1G done things this way. It is much easier to pick your schools and then feed the fanbase the data that led you to your choices during the announcement.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
You got to love the old if they were so good how come they aren't someplace already. Truly a strong and well informed argument.
Yeah especially when you look at some schools who are in the P5. That market for adding Syracuse and keeping Wake must have spoken real loudly! He's such a . So much crap has gone on in CR and some deserving schools were given the shaft, bottom line. How anyone can make the argument that UConn hasn't proven they belong in the P5 is beyond me.

Reaction Score
Yeah especially when you look at some schools who are in the P5. That market for adding Syracuse and keeping Wake must have spoken real loudly! He's such a . So much crap has gone on in CR and some deserving schools were given the shaft, bottom line. How anyone can make the argument that UConn hasn't proven they belong in the P5 is beyond me.

The criteria for adding a program is different than the one for dumping a conference member. But I would drop kick Wake Forest and Boston College and add replacement members.

Reaction Score
The cool thing about totally dismissing a loser like Dodd is you never have to click on his always slanted, lightly researched nonsense. Boren has his plan and my guess is he already has his schools.

Reaction Score
I think the question is deeper than that. Sure, Texas can land with at least 3 of the other conferences but at what cost? If they join the Big, they lose some of their identity and a lot of their power. By joining either coast they can become second fiddle in their state or region. The only place Texas can remain as King is in the Big 12.

That's what I meant by "how much does Texas really like being in the B12?"

Reaction Score
The cool thing about totally dismissing a loser like Dodd is you never have to click on his always slanted, lightly researched nonsense. Boren has his plan and my guess is he already has his schools.
Maybe Boren HAD his schools and lost one. UConn and BYU are clearly the two most valuable programs outside of the P5. They would be the most logical choices if you wanted to start a Big 12 network. Then we started getting these rumors of UConn to the ACC and Tim Brando's nonsensical tweet advising UConn to not try to join the Big 12. UConn and BYU may have been just palatable enough to opponents of Big 12 expansion. If UConn was out of the picture Cincy would be the next choice. This may have been too much for B12 expansion opponents to take. It would explain the U. Oklahoma's trustee's rant against Cincy. It would also explain Brando's odd tweet. Then again, I may be grasping at straws.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Did ESPN really make the suggestions as to which teams the ACC should pick, or was that just BC's AD lying?

I think it simply provided a list of schools that would be acceptable. Which is fine.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Jake Trotter ‏@Jake_Trotter · 2h2 hours ago
Boren: “If you’re going to have a network, you’re probably going to have 12 or 14 members” to have enough content.

Or.....you could just show UConn Olympic sports 24/7 and call it a day.

Jake Trotter ‏@Jake_Trotter · 2h2 hours ago
Boren says he’s received materials form 25 schools regarding expansion. “There’s a lot of interest in this conference."

No.....just 25 schools desperate to get out of G-5 purgatory.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
That doesn't sound that bad. He's just trying to get people to back off a little. The whole thing is easier done in the dark. Way too much press involved at this point. Again, what other conference conducted this process in public?

We get upset about comments these guys make about UConn. Imagine what they would have said about Rutgers had the B1G done things this way. It is much easier to pick your schools and then feed the fanbase the data that led you to your choices during the announcement.
I think he's tamping down the Memphis brochure / FedEx stuff. And he wants to go through the actual process.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The criteria for adding a program is different than the one for dumping a conference member. But I would drop kick Wake Forest and Boston College and add replacement members.
I agree 100% with the kicking out a member bit. It's just silly to say that "the market has spoken" when talking about UConn vs some of the current P5 schools who were either grandfathered in or added in recent raids.

Reaction Score
John E. Hoover ‏@johnehoover · 15h15 hours ago
John E. Hoover: Creating #Big12 network before expansion would be a mistake
Here’s why creating a Big 12 network first is a bad idea

“Where do we stand on expansion? It depends on the answer to the first question (about a network),” Boren said. “… Then it comes down to what schools are available.

“We have another consulting group looking at all these schools — 80, 50, it’s a large number. All the schools that might be available — even some that probably wouldn’t be but might be, if you could find someone that wanted to change conferences that’s out there.”

pj

Reaction Score
“Where do we stand on expansion? It depends on the answer to the first question (about a network),” Boren said. “… Then it comes down to what schools are available.

A hint that some schools they want may not be available.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom