Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
image.jpeg

I'll send them flowers!

Reaction Score
Dodd: No two schools bring pro rata.

Why would he even say this? They don't have to bring pro-rata. Dodd was the one who broke the story. Boren confirmed it.

There is no loss of money from the TV contract if the Big 12 adds two schools. This was first revealed in a story by Dennis Dodd story published 5/30/2012:

"The new Big 12 TV deal is expected to be announced any day, perhaps here this week as a celebration of the league's new-found strength. Within that deal is a clause that will give any new expansion candidates the same money as the current members (estimated to be at least $20 million per year).

One industry source said that number applies whether the Big 12 invites, "Appalachian State or Florida State." And according to another industry source, ESPN wouldn't stand in the way of Big 12 expansion even after negotiating a new deal with the ACC."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...n-and-feeling-its-oats-sitting-at-10-12-or-14

Maybe you can send that story to Dodd to remind him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dodd: No two schools bring pro rata.

Why would he even say this? They don't have to bring pro-rata. Dodd was the one who broke the story. Boren confirmed it.

There is no loss of money from the TV contract if the Big 12 adds two schools. This was first revealed in a story by Dennis Dodd story published 5/30/2012:

"The new Big 12 TV deal is expected to be announced any day, perhaps here this week as a celebration of the league's new-found strength. Within that deal is a clause that will give any new expansion candidates the same money as the current members (estimated to be at least $20 million per year).

One industry source said that number applies whether the Big 12 invites, "Appalachian State or Florida State." And according to another industry source, ESPN wouldn't stand in the way of Big 12 expansion even after negotiating a new deal with the ACC."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...n-and-feeling-its-oats-sitting-at-10-12-or-14

Maybe you can send that story to Dodd to remind him.
I did but thus far he has gone silent.

pj

Reaction Score
B12 is only protected from dilution from #s 11 and 12 through the end of this TV deal, 2024. If they want to keep the league after that, they'll want additions who pull their own weight. Also if they got that clause, probably the TV networks got some control over who they add. If the TV networks have to payout $40 mn extra when they add, they might balk at schools that don't provide that. So the pro rata clause doesn't mean that it's meaningless what a potential addition brings.

Fortunately, UConn brings more than anyone, so if there is going to be expansion at all, these issues work in our favor.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
What's the difference between Dennis Dodd and Andy Gresh? There is no such thing as research in journalism anymore. These guys have a platform above the Dude and MH Ver or whatever his name is. And the same stupid output....

Reaction Score
A network requires YEAR ROUND content. Under this model it's much more than football. Teams play 12-14 football games a year. Basketball teams teams play 36+. Plus the content needed for the network is not tier 1, that's going to the big boys. Why is this so hard to comprehend?

Reaction Score
Let me put it this way, when CR is going to take place it is not going to hit this board the day before the ESPN announcement, maybe one or two posters may have an insight a few days before and look like money. As an Greensboro resident i may, and strss may, have a bit of a clue, regarding Grandover thinking, but never specifics.

For example, right now the ACC believes UConn to be a top contender for any future P5 upgrade. But that doesn't really mean much, does it?

Reaction Score
Naw....wear black silk ninja wear.....we call 'em Swofford suits.

just trying to lighten up the board every now and then....there aren't breathless releases every day.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
David Benedict ‏@UConnHuskyAD · 8h8 hours ago
Looking forward to being on @SiriusXMCollege tonight at 8:15 pm ET with @JackOnSports and @SeniorBowlPhil Listen in if you can! #UConnNation

Did anyone hear him?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
David Benedict ‏@UConnHuskyAD · 8h8 hours ago
Looking forward to being on @SiriusXMCollege tonight at 8:15 pm ET with @JackOnSports and @SeniorBowlPhil Listen in if you can! #UConnNation

Did anyone hear him?
Just rewound it...

Asked about what's on short list: find out what support coaches need to compete on national level

Asked about smaller budget vs Auburn: UConn's budget one of best of group of 6 (sic) and on par of some power 5 schools. Great support from donors.

Great facilities already been built within last 10 years and more going to be built soon as soon as they have plans and funds in place.

Able to lean on Warde during transition.

Discussions about finding power 5 home: not yet but it did come up in interview process.

Excited to work with Diaco. Right direction. History of success. Facilities are great. Watched practice. Liked the energy. They looked althletic.

Hiring process: about a month ago got a text if had any interest in job. UConn had interest in looking at #2 with a lot of experience like him.

Jack Arute: only thing I need to warn you about is Joe Dambrosio

Db: Bruce pearl says hi

jA: blah blah blah get together over the summer at the race track.

Reaction Score
Just rewound it...

Asked about what's on short list: find out what support coaches need to compete on national level

Asked about smaller budget vs Auburn: UConn's budget one of best of group of 6 (sic) and on par of some power 5 schools. Great support from donors.

Great facilities already been built within last 10 years and more going to be built soon as soon as they have plans and funds in place.

Able to lean on Warde during transition.

Discussions about finding power 5 home: not yet but it did come up in interview process.

Excited to work with Diaco. Right direction. History of success. Facilities are great. Watched practice. Liked the energy. They looked althletic.

Hiring process: about a month ago got a text if had any interest in job. UConn had interest in looking at #2 with a lot of experience like him.

Jack Arute: only thing I need to warn you about is Joe Dambrosio

Db: Bruce pearl says hi

jA: blah blah blah get together over the summer at the race track.
I remember whenArute took a call on his show from a CT caller right after Pasqualoni was fired. He was asked about CR...his immediate and quick response was pretty brutal...over looked the horrendous job P did and went off on Herbst and Manuel (something to the effect that UConn was screwed in CR until the people calling the shots got their together, and that P wasn't the issue, should have beeb allowed to coach out yr 3). I listened to his show religiously up until that point. For a CT born & bred guy who lived pretty close to campus (he lived in Stafford at the time); who had a college sports radio show focusing mainly on football to stick up for P told me all I needed to know. I was able to find this interview between periods last night at the game. All I can say is what a difference a few years make. That and the fact that Benedict's boss at Auburn spoke his praises...so now Jack is back on board. It's funny how a few years and one hire can change perception. It's also funny how Jack Arute lives in CT and had absolutely NO IDEA how big UConn's athletic budget is.

Reaction Score
Ray Cartwright ‎@RayCartwright
@Jake_Trotter how likely is it that the big 12 is able to poach some teams from the acc?
10:13 AM - 4 Mar 2016

Trotter: To pull off that far-fetched scenario, the Big 12 would have to be able to offer something the ACC powers (Florida State, Clemson) don't currently have. What might that be? Million dollar payouts via a conference network. The ACC doesn't have that. Neither does the Big 12. But the Big 12 at least has the Longhorn Network, which, Oklahoma president David Boren believes, could be extrapolated into a conference network. Sure, it's a total long shot. But until the Big 12 creates a conference network, it's a no shot.

Tyler Papania ‎@TPaps17
@Jake_Trotter Cincinnati? Are we getting in?
10:17 AM - 4 Mar 2016

Trotter: If I were going to handicap the Group of 5 options in terms of likelihood for the Big 12, I might put Cincinnati at the top. No worse than second. Personally, given its tradition and following, I believe BYU to be the best overall candidate. But UC makes a lot of sense given its proximity to West Virginia. You can't overlook the coziness portrayed between Boren and UC president Santa Ono, either.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/110377/big-12-mailbag-iconic-moments-expansion-scenarios

Reaction Score
kelly Johnson ‏@kellyaj72 · 12h12 hours ago
@ChuckCarltonDMN maybe the Big Xii ought to invite the Huskies to join the league

Chuck Carlton Verified account 
‏@ChuckCarltonDMN

@kellyaj72 Sorry, that's going to be up to the data guys and TV consultants. Basketball (men's and women's) doesn't impact expansion much.

Chuck CarltonVerified account
@ChuckCarltonDMN
Reporting on all things Big 12 for the Dallas Morning News

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
@ChuckCarltonDMN maybe the Big Xii ought to invite the Huskies to join the league

‏@ChuckCarltonDMN

@kellyaj72 Sorry, that's going to be up to the data guys and TV consultants. Basketball (men's and women's) doesn't impact expansion much.

@ChuckCarltonDMN
Well I'm not sorry if that's the deciding metric. UConn is the clear and away first choice under those circumstances.

Reaction Score

‏@ChuckCarltonDMN

@ChuckCarltonDMN

Chuck is correct. People like to watch football reruns all year long. Its not about live content or advertising dollars, its all about football reruns.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom