Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 129 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Chuck is correct. People like to watch football reruns all year long. Its not about live content or advertising dollars, its all about football reruns.

I quoted him back on his tweet. Football is all but irrelevant to these conference networks. UConn women's hoops might be the single most valuable Tier 3 content anywhere.

Reaction Score
Michael Shults ‏@michaelshults · 18h18 hours ago
@dennisdoddcbs Enjoyed your column. Why did you change your tune re: expansion so suddenly and succinctly? No criticism, just curious.

Dennis Dodd Verified account 
‏@dennisdoddcbs
@michaelshults Got a better idea for how Big 12 could monetize its assets.

Reaction Score
Michael Shults ‏@michaelshults · 18h18 hours ago
@dennisdoddcbs Enjoyed your column. Why did you change your tune re: expansion so suddenly and succinctly? No criticism, just curious.

Dennis Dodd Verified account 
‏@dennisdoddcbs
@michaelshults Got a better idea for how Big 12 could monetize its assets.
In other words... @Dooley happened!!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In other words... @Dooley happened!!!
New Boneyard Tee-shirt:
upload_2016-3-8_15-44-3.png

Reaction Score
Dan WolkenVerified account‏@DanWolken

Remember this about the Big 12: The networks are already overpaying them or else there wouldn't be a Big 12.
Tweet text

Reply to @DanWolken

1. Dave R. ‏@CT_Goonie 7h7 hours ago
      @DanWolken so you don't think they will make more with an actual network?

2. Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 7h7 hours ago
      @CT_Goonie That ship may have sailed

0 retweets0 likes
    3. Show more

1. Mitch Vingle ‏@MitchVingle 7h7 hours ago
      @DanWolken The networks are already overpaying EVERY conference.

2. Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 7h7 hours ago
      @MitchVingle The Big 12 got significantly worse as a league but kept the same revenue. They're the only one that got such a deal.

3. mk ‏@yellmk 7h7 hours ago
      @theDudeofWV wish you weren't private so I could RT some of this. Hilarious

Reaction Score
That's some backwards-ass logic. The Big 12 got worse and kept the same deal - doesn't that mean they were probably already underpaid? Otherwise, why wouldn't they have lowered the payouts?

Reaction Score
@Dooley funny thing how people's opinion's change when even minimum subscriber fees and DMA numbers are put together. That's when reality hits and the metrics are realized....

The BIG gets it. Big chunks of geography having well-to-do people and cable access is the priority. Bad football programs and poor athletic departments can be fixed. Prime DMAs and demographics can't be replicated or relocated.

Reaction Score
Dan WolkenVerified account‏@DanWolken

Remember this about the Big 12: The networks are already overpaying them or else there wouldn't be a Big 12.
Tweet text
Isn't the point that the B12 owns its Tier 3 rights and ACC does not? So long as B12 owns those, a B12 network has additional content to sell.

@Iseriouslyrespecttherulesaroundhere; #firstviolation; #pleasenothroatpunch

Reaction Score
Yep...Boren said that Oklahoma cleared $2.5 million on it's Sooner Channel.

Reaction Score
Mitch Vingle ‏@MitchVingle 1h1 hour ago
Mitch Vingle: Big 12 expansion and MEC tournament news
http://www.wvgazettemail.com/article/20160308/GZ02/160309501

One comment and it is a UConn hater, of course. It is crazy how much people hate us. It goes back to what I've said here every time we are given zero respect. Everyone that knows us well is afraid of us. It is instinctual for the average fan to be horrified of UConn. Why? We win championships, we got good at football quick, we have facilities, we have a market, we have a brand and we are very strong academically.
Every hater wants to keep us out because they know they'll be challenged by us or constantly beaten by us and a P5 invite will put us right back on a level playing field. Its crazy. All these guys think Memphis and UCF and ECU are better choices, yeah, right. No they don't.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
As I mentioned here before, adding Connecticut would give the league access into the Northeast, including New York. It’s what the Big Ten thought when it took in Rutgers — only Connecticut has good basketball. (And went to a BCS bowl in football.)

Cincinnati, meanwhile, isn’t Ohio State, but at least the Bearcats’ large state is cabled.

Remember when the Cincinnati Enquirer requested public records and published communications between UC and the Big 12? Well, after that, reports surfaced that Connecticut president Susan Herbst hosted dinner for Kansas State president Kirk Schulz, who happens to be chairman of the Big 12 board of directors.

As I’ve written, UC and UConn are the front-runners for any open spots, but word I get is a third option is Central Florida. There is also some sentiment for Houston and Memphis, but if the league wishes to dive into Florida, UCF seems the leader

- See more at: http://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports...-and-mec-tournament-news#sthash.XAK6ZYfw.dpuf

Reaction Score
"First, any expansion would happen over a two-year period."
Did I miss something? I don't remember this being said. I thought the B12 summer meetings would be when/where any expansion decisions are made. Maybe I'm jumping the gun.

Reaction Score
Louisville left the AAC for $11 million and Rutgers for $11.5 million.....if you pay up, you don't have to wait the 27 months between notice and exit, I reckon.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Louisville left the AAC for $11 million and Rutgers for $11.5 million.....if you pay up, you don't have to wait the 27 months between notice and exit, I reckon.

Correct. We don't have an exit fee. We have a 27 month notice requirement, which can be negotiated down by paying up.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"First, any expansion would happen over a two-year period."
Did I miss something? I don't remember this being said. I thought the B12 summer meetings would be when/where any expansion decisions are made. Maybe I'm jumping the gun.
Announce in May/June, join 27 months later

Last edited:

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

CR talk begins at the 36 minute mark. Schroeder says from his digging around the past few months, there isn't the appetite for the schools available... but then later he says that inventory could play a role. Going back and forth on what Boren's endgame is. Talking about network numbers, mentions analysis that they think the B12N would do better than the Pac12N (which is having major problems).

Wolken "I'd be very surprised" if cable companies in central FL would pay whatever fee for B12... most potential candidates for markets UConn, Memphis, Cincy. Schroeder - MBB/WBB could be a staple for network.

Guess - Expansion unlikely. No binding votes on expansion in May, maybe in June. They're more in survey mode. If it's 6-4, likely nothing happens, need to get to 8 votes and then they'll need to decide what schools.

Who is in anti-expansion camp? DW - TCU. GS - probably Texas, Baylor, maybe K-State. Schools don't want that info in public eye of who is pro/anti.

Reaction Score
Matt Murschel ‏@osmattmurschel · 27m27 minutes ago  Orlando, FL
AAC commissioner Mike Aresco said the league’s MBB tourney will most likely return to Orlando in ‘18 after heading back to Hartford in ’17.

Matt Murschel ‏@osmattmurschel · 17m17 minutes ago  Orlando, FL
Aresco said Orlando could also be one of the cities bidding to host the #AAC Tourney in the future ‘19 and beyond.

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken · 17m17 minutes ago
There’s really no good place to have this thing.

SEC1STOP‏@sec1stop
@DanWolken. FedEx Forum in Memphis makes sense but they won't do it.

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken · 15m15 minutes ago
Not until there’s a new coach and a different attitude about the local program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom