Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 127 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Memphis ain't Louisville.
Memphis getting good at Football at the exact right time while being an atrocious school academically and just being plain slimy reminds me eerily of the Louisville to ACC saga.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Memphis getting good at Football at the exact right time while being an atrocious school academically and just being plain slimy reminds me eerily of the Louisville to ACC saga.

I think Louisville's brand and fan base is much larger--they're a nationally recognized school. When people think of Louisville they think of athletic success--especially in basketball. When you think of Memphis, you think of a couple of solid years with Coach Cal and then nothing

Reaction Score
I looked up Memphis and found it is a school with poor academics (a school referred to as "Tiger High" by the locals) and it is surrounded by high crime ghetto neighborhoods.
I don't see how the Big 12 could benefit on any level by inviting Memphis. The Fed Ex CEO having to offer to pay millions to any conference that will take Memphis is already a clue Memphis would not be a good add.

I don't post here a lot but "please." Although you "looked it up" almost all of that is wrong. The U of M campus is one of the safest in the country. The area surrounding the campus has undergone 100's of millions of dollars in investment - with multiple sites for upscale off-campus student housing and investments in the nightspots down Highland Strip. Locals don't call Memphis "Tiger High" or really UT/Ole Miss fans any more. And the FedEX CEO never offered "millions to any conferencethat will take Memphis." But yes, our academics aren't the best. Your research skills?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I think Louisville's brand and fan base is much larger--they're a nationally recognized school. When people think of Louisville they think of athletic success--especially in basketball. When you think of Memphis, you think of a couple of solid years with Coach Cal and then nothing
If your older that 30 you have memories of Anfernee Hardaway, older than 40 Keith Lee (one of my favorite college players ever) and over 50 an NCAA final. They do have some cool history. That said, if they get in the Big 12 instead of us I am going to stop watching college sports.

Reaction Score
If your older that 30 you have memories of Anfernee Hardaway, older than 40 Keith Lee (one of my favorite college players ever) and over 50 an NCAA final. They do have some cool history. That said, if they get in the Big 12 instead of us I am going to stop watching college sports.
Well, I don't think you have to worry about Memphis.
Memphis does nothing to move the needle for the Big 12.

Reaction Score
The only BB tourney that I have ever attended was in 1972...we are definitely the old bunch.

Reaction Score
For whatever reason I still think of former Memphis St BB player Baskerville Holmes, from the mid 80's. I think I saw him play on TV maybe 2 times when I was a kid, and was coincidentally reading the book The Hounds of Baskerville, s0 the name just stuck with me (his mother named him after the book). He was a very good CBB player who never made it in the NBA, ended up in Europe for years. Tragically he was an addict and ultimately ended up killing his girlfriend then committing suicide in the mid 90's.

On that uplifting note, enjoy the rest of your Thursday.

Reaction Score

They were tied at the hip prior to the Big East and Pitino. Brand and fanbase. Louisville's fanbase consistently fills up the big arena, but it doesn't extend outside the city limits. I just described Memphis as well.

Reaction Score

With Lynch and Fuente gone, Memphis will be back to a football mediocrity next season. Don't you worry.

Reaction Score
For whatever reason I still think of former Memphis St BB player Baskerville Holmes, from the mid 80's. I think I saw him play on TV maybe 2 times when I was a kid, and was coincidentally reading the book The Hounds of Baskerville, s0 the name just stuck with me (his mother named him after the book). He was a very good CBB player who never made it in the NBA, ended up in Europe for years. Tragically he was an addict and ultimately ended up killing his girlfriend then committing suicide in the mid 90's.

On that uplifting note, enjoy the rest of your Thursday.

Didn't the wonderfully named Baskerville Holmes play with Andre Turner, wonderfully nicknamed for a point guard "Andre Turnover."

(As an aside, when I went with my sone to an AAU tournament in Memphis a number of years ago, they played in an inner city school gym where Andre Turner went to school, and there were murals of him all over the place.)

Reaction Score
Didn't the wonderfully named Baskerville Holmes play with Andre Turner, wonderfully nicknamed for a point guard "Andre Turnover."

(As an aside, when I went with my sone to an AAU tournament in Memphis a number of years ago, they played in an inner city school gym where Andre Turner went to school, and there were murals of him all over the place.)
My favorite misfortunate athlete name is the MLB pitcher Grant Held out.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Can't we just start banning people that can't figure out what the tweets threads are for? I come here to read about tweets about realignment not about unfortunate baseball player names.

I'm not sure if this is a key tweet or not. Keep it key, folks!

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I mean, granted, there are a lot of extraneous posts (this one included of course :p) in this thread but a lof them have been related to the "key tweet" if not about its content surely about the veracity of said "tweet".

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
And, I must say, I'm enjoying posting this nonsense in the "key tweets" thread because its living life on the edge. Kind of like kicking my legs in the water of an, umm, shark tank.

Reaction Score
Having a semi-interesting Twitter conversation with our pal Dennis Dodd. It started with me questioning why he mentions BYU often.
DD: Where the hell did you get that idea?
Me: I've just seen you more than others pushing them for B12 consideration.
DD: Cincinnati and BYU are most common names mentioned. That's fact. Already out there. Pushing? No. There's nothing in it for me.
Me: Maybe I'm being a homer but for what the B12 needs (network, east coast tv for fox, brand) Uconn should be their #1 choice.
DD: B12 expansion conversation starts with 1 question: Who's going to pay for it? No money in the system re rightsholders. No two schools bring pro rata. Even during realignment ESPN wasn't particularly pleased it had to pay more for SEC and SEC Network.
With expansion B12 would have to split NCAA money 12 ways instead of 10. Why do that?
Me: Having a network would certainly help bridge the gap between the B12 and SEC/B1G. They won't ever match them but getting to 12, expanding their footprint is the only path forward. Stay at 10 and OU leaves
DD: There's no footprint to expand. As I said, no two teams bring pro rata. You expand to earn MORE money, not stay even. What does "bridge the gap" mean? In any financial universe B12 is going to be behind SEC and Big Ten. Forever. The trail SEC by $9 million per school right now. Let's say by some miracle they get to within $5 million. Still in third place.OU CAN'T leave. They've all signed a grant of rights until 2024.
Me
I never said they would approach the earnings of the B1G or SEC. GoR's can certainly be negotiated and in any case 2024 is not that far away. Without a network the B12 will be 4th or maybe even 5th.B12 needs east coast eyeballs. Fox would love to have Uconn basketball to help their abysmal ratings.By the way I remember a couple years ago you had said Uconn was on the top of the B1G wish list. What happened there?
DD: First of all, a couple of years. Shoot me that link.
Me: I'll look for it. Thanks for taking the time to respond.blogs.courant.com/uconn_football…Looks like the actual story isn't available anymore. Since that article Uconn has only improved their brand (and won several NC's).
DD
I wouldn't say losing AQ status is exactly improving brand. Remember, it's still all about fb. Proof: Kansas was THIS close to moving to Mountain West in 2010 when B12 was breaking up. Didn't really matter it had top 5 bkb
program.
Me: Fb is getting better with Diaco as their coach. Uconn didn't earn their demotion to the G5 so it's unfair to say we have to earn our way back in.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Having a semi-interesting Twitter conversation with our pal Dennis Dodd. It started with me questioning why he mentions BYU often.
DD: Where the hell did you get that idea?
Me: I've just seen you more than others pushing them for B12 consideration.
DD: Cincinnati and BYU are most common names mentioned. That's fact. Already out there. Pushing? No. There's nothing in it for me.
Me: Maybe I'm being a homer but for what the B12 needs (network, east coast tv for fox, brand) Uconn should be their #1 choice.
DD: B12 expansion conversation starts with 1 question: Who's going to pay for it? No money in the system re rightsholders. No two schools bring pro rata. Even during realignment ESPN wasn't particularly pleased it had to pay more for SEC and SEC Network.
With expansion B12 would have to split NCAA money 12 ways instead of 10. Why do that?
Me: Having a network would certainly help bridge the gap between the B12 and SEC/B1G. They won't ever match them but getting to 12, expanding their footprint is the only path forward. Stay at 10 and OU leaves
DD: There's no footprint to expand. As I said, no two teams bring pro rata. You expand to earn MORE money, not stay even. What does "bridge the gap" mean? In any financial universe B12 is going to be behind SEC and Big Ten. Forever. The trail SEC by $9 million per school right now. Let's say by some miracle they get to within $5 million. Still in third place.OU CAN'T leave. They've all signed a grant of rights until 2024.
Me
I never said they would approach the earnings of the B1G or SEC. GoR's can certainly be negotiated and in any case 2024 is not that far away. Without a network the B12 will be 4th or maybe even 5th.B12 needs east coast eyeballs. Fox would love to have Uconn basketball to help their abysmal ratings.By the way I remember a couple years ago you had said Uconn was on the top of the B1G wish list. What happened there?
DD: First of all, a couple of years. Shoot me that link.
Me: I'll look for it. Thanks for taking the time to respond.blogs.courant.com/uconn_football…Looks like the actual story isn't available anymore. Since that article Uconn has only improved their brand (and won several NC's).
DD
I wouldn't say losing AQ status is exactly improving brand. Remember, it's still all about fb. Proof: Kansas was THIS close to moving to Mountain West in 2010 when B12 was breaking up. Didn't really matter it had top 5 bkb
program.
Me: Fb is getting better with Diaco as their coach. Uconn didn't earn their demotion to the G5 so it's unfair to say we have to earn our way back in.
Do you think it worth mentioning that there is anti-dilution clause in the Big 12's TV deal. So any additions don't need to bring in money to "pay" for that?

FWIW, I do think UConn brings value and I think the metrics studies show just that. But our friend Mr. Dodd is starting from a flawed position.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
tool. I wish that link still worked.

Reaction Score
What this showed is there are plenty of tools in the media like DD who are pretty clueless about the whole conference realignment situation. Unfortunately, public perception is and will be shaped by tools like him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom