Berry Tramel ‏@BerryTramel · 12h12 hours ago

Power Lunch: Chat with columnist Berry Tramel http://Post original url/1Q4pGW3

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Berry Tramel ‏@BerryTramel · 12h12 hours ago

Power Lunch: Chat with columnist Berry Tramel http://Post original url/1Q4pGW3
re-link

I know granting of TV rights "locks" schools into conferences, but why don't we go BOLD with conference expansion and have PURPOSED open-ended invitations to FSU, Clemson? Maryland beat their granting of rights ($54m to $20m) I'd like to see an attempts to get those two PLUS VT, UVA, NCST, GT and make a 16 team conference to "bracket" the SEC!
Okie Orangeblood
Feb 25 2016 12:26 PM

It's a fun thought, but why would any school in a Power-5 conference leave for the instability of the Big 12? Especially schools like Virginia and Georgia Tech, with pristine academic reputations? Not going to happen. Florida State and Clemson, I suppose, would listen because the ACC isn't as football-centric as is the Big 12. But I think it's a longshot.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
and this is funny too...

I have an outside of the box thought for OSU. Before you say an East Coast guy would never come, look at the Thunder. I'm talking about a coach that would instantly put OSU on the map and he'd have a great challenge - Geno Auriemma. He's got to be bored with what he's doing now. No challenge left. There are plenty of great men coaches in the women's game. Jimmy Dykes at Arkansas. Gary Blair at Texas A&M. High risk, but Auriemma and Blair are proven and a lot more intriguing than what we currently have.
Gary
Feb 25 2016 12:46 PM

You're not the first to suggest it. But let me ask you a question. Travis Ford had difficulty acclimating to Oklahomans early in his OSU career, and he's from KENTUCKY. You think people in Stillwater would feel warmly about an abrasive guy from Connecticut? I think it's a terrible fit, even aside from the women's coach thing.

Right, if Geno goes to coach a men's team he's gonna go to Stillwater Oklahoma...

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
and this is funny too...

Right, if Geno goes to coach a men's team he's gonna go to Stillwater Oklahoma...

Well, there was a time when he entertained going to Norman, OK...

Reaction Score
John Martin ‏@JohnMartin929 5h5 hours ago
It's Monday, which means I wrote some words about Paxton Lynch, Dedric Lawson/NBA, Josh Pastner ... and the Big 12! http://www.espn929.com/pages/22517176.php

BIG 12

From the “take it for what it’s worth” department: I’ve heard that things are looking good for Memphis and the Big 12. As is the nature of conference expansion and realignment, these kinds of things are fragile. Gaining entry into the Big 12 is and continues to be a goal for this administration, and based on what I’ve heard, Memphis is gaining steam. FedEx and the city’s corporate affiliations will play a significant role, should it go down. I would suspect we hear something in May and/or early this summer.

John MartinVerified account
@JohnMartin929
Hear me & read me @929espn. Cover Memphis Grizzlies and Memphis Tigers.
929ESPNVerified account
@929espn
Memphis' Sports Station

Reaction Score
I would say this is more of a "Non-Key Tweet".
John Martin ‏@JohnMartin929 5h5 hours ago
It's Monday, which means I wrote some words about Paxton Lynch, Dedric Lawson/NBA, Josh Pastner ... and the Big 12! http://www.espn929.com/pages/22517176.php

BIG 12

From the “take it for what it’s worth” department: I’ve heard that things are looking good for Memphis and the Big 12. As is the nature of conference expansion and realignment, these kinds of things are fragile. Gaining entry into the Big 12 is and continues to be a goal for this administration, and based on what I’ve heard, Memphis is gaining steam. FedEx and the city’s corporate affiliations will play a significant role, should it go down. I would suspect we hear something in May and/or early this summer.

John MartinVerified account
@JohnMartin929
Hear me & read me @929espn. Cover Memphis Grizzlies and Memphis Tigers.
929ESPNVerified account
@929espn
Memphis' Sports Station

Reaction Score
Well, I debated that, but it is a legitimate radio station.
Only reason I say "Non-Key" is because of his mention of "hearing something in May and/or early this summer". I thought B-12 presidents won't meet until June to be presented with, look at and discuss the data/metrics they hired the companies to give them.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Only reason I say "Non-Key" is because of his mention of "hearing something in May and/or early this summer". I thought B-12 presidents won't meet until June to be presented with, look at and discuss the data/metrics they hired the companies to give them.

I believe that that information is going to be ready for them in May and they're meeting in June.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well, I debated that, but it is a legitimate radio station.

Yes, but suggesting that Memphis is on the current list disqualifies them for extreme stupidity.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I believe that that information is going to be ready for them in May and they're meeting in June.
2-day meeting: 5/31 and 6/1
It's like forever from now. Do you know how many car wash stories and non-key tweets we will endure from now until then? Yikes! I pray to a universal secular diety that this all finally pays off. Haha

Reaction Score
Kirk BohlsVerified account ‏@kbohls 2h2 hours ago
Bohls: On Texas basketball recruitingl, the NFL Draft and the Big 12’s future

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/sports/bohls-on-texas-basketball-the-nfl-draft-and-the-bi/nqbjk/

5. Joe Castiglione said there is “no perfect solution” for the Big 12 and looks forward to the May/June meetings that could determine whether the league adopts a conference football title game and chooses to expand. “Some years it could be really good, some years it could not,” the Oklahoma athletic director said. “We know it would have to be a rematch.” Texas’ stance on these issues remain a mystery although it’s safe to assume it doesn’t want to give up its lucrative Longhorn Network. There is one theory that ESPN would like the Big 12 to force its hand and pressure/entice Texas to abandon the LHN in favor of a league-wide network. Castiglione declined to address the idea. “Texas is like us. We’re all examining everything that could strengthen the league.” What troubles OU’s outspoken president, David Boren, is the fact that the league has only three recognizable, strong brands — Oklahoma football, Kansas basketball and Texas football, which at the moment is on the decline — and that doesn’t speak well to ticket sales. TCU, for instance, only sold 2,000 of its ticket allotments for the road football game in Norman last year. That’s a big reason Boren wants OU to join the SEC or the Big Ten.

Kirk BohlsVerified account
@kbohls
Austin American-Statesman sports columnist Kirk Bohls.

Austin, TX

Reaction Score
Kirk BohlsVerified account ‏@kbohls 2h2 hours ago
Bohls: On Texas basketball recruitingl, the NFL Draft and the Big 12’s future

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/sports/bohls-on-texas-basketball-the-nfl-draft-and-the-bi/nqbjk/

5. Joe Castiglione said there is “no perfect solution” for the Big 12 and looks forward to the May/June meetings that could determine whether the league adopts a conference football title game and chooses to expand. “Some years it could be really good, some years it could not,” the Oklahoma athletic director said. “We know it would have to be a rematch.” Texas’ stance on these issues remain a mystery although it’s safe to assume it doesn’t want to give up its lucrative Longhorn Network. There is one theory that ESPN would like the Big 12 to force its hand and pressure/entice Texas to abandon the LHN in favor of a league-wide network. Castiglione declined to address the idea. “Texas is like us. We’re all examining everything that could strengthen the league.” What troubles OU’s outspoken president, David Boren, is the fact that the league has only three recognizable, strong brands — Oklahoma football, Kansas basketball and Texas football, which at the moment is on the decline — and that doesn’t speak well to ticket sales. TCU, for instance, only sold 2,000 of its ticket allotments for the road football game in Norman last year. That’s a big reason Boren wants OU to join the SEC or the Big Ten.

Kirk BohlsVerified account
@kbohls
Austin American-Statesman sports columnist Kirk Bohls.

Austin, TX

I think the comments about lacking strong brands bode very well for UConn.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think the comments about lacking strong brands bode very well for UConn.

Sorry for posting in Key Tweets, but as far as national brands go:

1. Kansas basketball
2. Oklahoma football
3. Texas football
4. UConn basketball?
5. West Virginia football?
6. Oklahoma/Texas basketball?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Texas football WAY ahead of KU hoops or OK football as a brand. Hence their huge LHN deal

Probably right. I guess I'm looking at it from the sense of the average sports fan and where they would rank the programs in terms of prestige in their given sport as opposed to trying to monetize their value.

Reaction Score
Sorry for posting in Key Tweets, but as far as national brands go:

1. Kansas basketball
2. Oklahoma football
3. Texas football
4. UConn basketball?
5. West Virginia football?
6. Oklahoma/Texas basketball?
WVU FB and OU/TX BB are not nearly on the same level as the first three or UConn MBB and WBB. If UConn or KU walk into any B12 arena, or OU/TX walk onto any field, it's a marquee game, not to mention the girls going anywhere. I know, women's basketball is basically irrelevant, but if we're talking "brands" it must be mentioned.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom