Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 123 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Kent Sterling ‏@KentSterling · 1h1 hour ago  Indiana, USA
What is it about Louisville coaches chasing tail? Is there something in the river water that clouds judgment? #Louisville

Kent SterlingVerified account
@KentSterling
Happy to host The Kent Sterling Show weekdays from 3p-6p on CBS Sports 1430 in Indianapolis, and continuing to provide content at http://www.kentsterling.com.

Reaction Score
Blau's Blog
Another giant BC mistake
by Mark • February 22, 2016

The announcement sounded promising. Boston College, criticized for what it didn’t have in terms of athletic facilities and amenities, was announcing a $200 million athletic funding project.

Improvements in recreational sports, an upgrade in baseball facilities. Positive things for the university.

All items which would improve the quality of life for students at Boston College.

But then near the end of the release was this statement: DISCUSSIONS will begin about building an indoor football practice facility. No where is improving the basketball facilities mentioned.

DISCUSSIONS?

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

BC, which in athletics is President Father William Leahy and athletic director Brad Bates,doesn’t get it.

They have the dog walking the man. All the improvements which have been announced and funded will do ALMOST NOTHING to improve the profile of the revenue producing sports, football and men’s basketball.

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=13338

If there is a hint of truth to this, it significantly explains how Warde jumped from the AD of a G5 program over the head of Bates, an AD from a P5, program to become the AD of one the the top 5 athletic programs in the country at U of Michigan even though they both had similar connections to Ann Arbor.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Kent Sterling ‏@KentSterling · 1h1 hour ago  Indiana, USA
What is it about Louisville coaches chasing tail? Is there something in the river water that clouds judgment? #Louisville

Kent SterlingVerified account
@KentSterling
Happy to host The Kent Sterling Show weekdays from 3p-6p on CBS Sports 1430 in Indianapolis, and continuing to provide content at http://www.kentsterling.com.
Charlie Strong supposedly had an affair with UL trustee's wife, which came up in the divorce case.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If there is a hint of truth to this, it significantly explains how Warde jumped from the AD of a G5 program over the head of Bates, an AD from a P5, program to become the AD of one the the top 5 athletic programs in the country at U of Michigan.
BC is coasting on the ACC tv money, and is being left behind by the rest of its conference. It's just another warm body in the P5 world, somebody has to fill out the schedules. Its real success is as a university that appeals to a lot of college applicants and can charge whatever it wants for tuition.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If there is a hint of truth to this, it significantly explains how Warde jumped from the AD of a G5 program over the head of Bates, an AD from a P5, program to become the AD of one the the top 5 athletic programs in the country at U of Michigan even though they both had similar connections to Ann Arbor.
@Mr. Conehead, do you think the college athletic world views, albeit accurately, as a G5 program. I don't. When you look at Warde and the size of the AD budget and the national championships and facility expansion, etc. I don't think they view that G5...or is that just me being a fan?

Reaction Score
@Mr. Conehead, do you think the college athletic world views, albeit accurately, as a G5 program. I don't. When you look at Warde and the size of the AD budget and the national championships and facility expansion, etc. I don't think they view that G5...or is that just me being a fan?

As a fan, looking at budgets, facilities, and championships, UConn is more of a P5 program than BC; but, the media tends to view things differently...

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

I wonder about this, too...obviously, we're not on the level of schools like OU, Texas, OSU, Michigan...don't think any rational person can deny that. There's no way we aren't seen as at least on par with schools like Kansas State, Purdue, Wake, BC, Minnesota, any lower tier P5 team. Our only issue is that the perception of our football program is really poor. Fledgling program, recent poor performance, relatively low attendance. I truly think that the fact that the stadium is off campus looks really bad and is one of the more serious mistakes we've made as a university

CL82

Reaction Score
As a fan, looking at budgets, facilities, and championships, UConn is more of a P5 program than BC; but, the media tends to view things differently...
Agree regarding the media, but Michigan's due diligence would have been looking at hard numbers not articles. I suspect that the decision makers there didn't view UConn with the G5 pejorative attached. Instead they saw a flagship, land grant university with a big time budget, great facilities, at least for marquis sports, and outstanding athletic success. From that perspective, Warde is a no brainer.

Reaction Score
I avoid writing on this thread to avoid the wrath, but I had to chime in. UConn is absolutely "powerful" in terms of athletics. One of the best AD departments in the entire old Big East. This P5/G5 only came about for football purposes and even there UConn is better than many P5 programs. No question.

CL82

Reaction Score
30239810.jpg

How does Dodd's statement make any sense whatsoever, unless, he's hearing the BYU isn't in play and he's trying to create cover for himself.

I think he's still smarting from the Dooley beat down.

Reaction Score
Is Dodd trying to make a case against BYU or for? Seems like his two tweets would be anti-BYU to me.
  • BYU would have to give up it's network. Not something it would want to do considering that televising BYU sports would just be a means to an end (spreading the work of LDS).
  • From what I can see, BYU runs the network so there wouldn't be an ESPN vs. Fox or someone else issue, but it's not like they are both on ESPN.
  • Why would Texas or Oklahoma (or Kansas, or WVU...) want to give TCU and Baylor a "bloc"? Texas and Oklahoma have made it clear that they want the power (or at least in OK's case, they don't want to be subservient to someone).

Reaction Score
Re: Syracuse, I don't understand why they're of value to anyone if the ACC gets blown up somehow. They don't bring NYC, they bring Western NY. Football is ugly and I question how strong basketball will be when Boeheim retires.

Frankly, I was very surprised the ACC made the move there when they did. Syracuse could be rubbing elbows with BC in 10 years. No way they are close to as valuable to a conference as UCONN. I don't think there will be much of an appetite for a private school located 250 miles from the closest major media market.

Reaction Score
Re: Syracuse, I don't understand why they're of value to anyone if the ACC gets blown up somehow. They don't bring NYC, they bring Western NY. Football is ugly and I question how strong basketball will be when Boeheim retires.

Frankly, I was very surprised the ACC made the move there when they did. Syracuse could be rubbing elbows with BC in 10 years. No way they are close to as valuable to a conference as UCONN. I don't think there will be much of an appetite for a private school located 250 miles from the closest major media market.

Syracuse is in Central NY, not Western. They have Binghamton and Syracuse. They have some interest in Rochester and Albany, but it is not plainly evident (i.e. people aren't rabid fans). I rarely see a Syracuse presence around Buffalo, though when Villanova, UConn, St. Joe's, Dayton and Syracuse showed up for the 2014 NCAAs in Buffalo, there was a lot of orange everywhere.

Reaction Score

Which, so we're clear, is Toronto.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
From my time visting other boards, opposing fans view us as inferior. Going against us, by their comments, is the fact we are not in a P5 already and that our football has little history and in recent memory has sucked. the OU board I even saw us get trashed by one poster for the Fiesta Bowl. There are very few out there that realize what we could bring to a conference with a network. To his credit, on the landthieves site Okielite has been explaining our value and HipHopFroggy has been all over us with promoting what we bring. Here and there are some others that get it, but must uneducated consider us a drag on their conference and that we bring nothing to it. I think those people are only looking at current football results and have an inability to project what we could become in a better conference with some marquee teams. Thankfully as @CL82 said in reference to viewing Warde's candidacy, decision makers look at facts and what the school brings and not with G5 colored glasses.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
30239810.jpg

How does Dodd's statement make any sense whatsoever, unless, he's hearing the BYU isn't in play and he's trying to create cover for himself.

I think he's still smarting from the Dooley beat down.

I think he's doing the research (or having it force fed to him by Dooley and others) that he should have done before he wrote the stupid piece. Now he's backtracking via twitter as he realizes his mistakes.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
@Fairfield_1st Of course joe big 12 football fan who looks at conference expansion for no other reason besides "what does this do for me?" is going to see things only from a football & on field performance slant. Not many people out there have their PHD in realignment outside of us.

Reaction Score
To his credit, on the landthieves site Okielite has been explaining our value and HipHopFroggy has been all over us with promoting what we bring.
Okielite learned about UConn from arguing with HFD on Scout. Only now he's for us, instead of being against us. Plus he has to promote UConn for a network because of a fear of his school getting left behind if OK leaves.

Reaction Score
Which moral issues would the conference be voting on?
This looks like a desperate tweet from a journalist who has a really good idea of what is coming down the pike and personally doesn't like it; so he is putting out anything and everything he can think of to try and make a point. This tweet tells me that yes the B-12 is truely using metrics/data to make a decision..a B-12N is definitely on the table..and that BYU really isn't in the running.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom