Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 121 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
3 candidates, UConn, BYU, and Cinci. No one else is going to be considered. (Goes through some of the schools being mentioned and explains why they are being considered.)

Academics matters - "Cinci is solid, Connecticut is really good, BYU is really good."

Houston is out- Texas schools don't want to compete for candidates and UT absolutely hates them.

So 3 schools being considered - two have significant (geographic?) challenges.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I read that paragraph also. Hello rule number 1
I want to LIKE this because i agree and it's what I thought, but the kick in the cajones that would result prevents me from doing it. Maybe we can get another button that says "Agree, don't like"

Reaction Score

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

They mention OU possibly leaving if Boren doesn't get his way, whether FSU might consider leaving the ACC, Cincy, BYU, less of Memphis/Houston, zero mention of UConn.

Reaction Score
We should all stop reading at the point where Dinich suggests Nebraska will leave the Big 10 to come back to the XII.
That entire blog crew on ESPN.com is a joke. They really don't have any long time connections to the schools and athletic departments..they just cover the football teams..and most of them have been bounced around between league's the past 5-6 years. They have ZERO clue about metrics as far as a network is concerned. Like @brasssbonanzaa mentioned above..when you see Dinich mention Nebraska coming back...move on because they truly show how little they know.

Reaction Score
You don't think no playing on Sundays is a severe flaw?

I had no idea that was a thing. :D

He really didn't indicate in that clip which two he were the extremely flawed ones. I just kind of assume they look at our football program as a flaw.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
That entire blog crew on ESPN.com is a joke. They really don't have any long time connections to the schools and athletic departments..they just cover the football teams..and most of them have been bounced around between league's the past 5-6 years. They have ZERO clue about metrics as far as a network is concerned. Like @brasssbonanzaa mentioned above..when you see Dinich mention Nebraska coming back...move on because they truly show how little they know.
Eh. People who follow CR or even just football will know that there's zero chance of that happening, and can tell that this roundtable was mostly a session to throw stuff at the wall. I think Kevin McGuire's post was much, much worse because it was just as speculative / based on no reporting, but formatted to look like a piece of news.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I think Cincy is in and UConn and BYU are "flawed" for geographical reasons and UConn for "weak" FB and BYU for the Sunday thing. In the end I don't see BYU or the Big 12 capitulating on the Sunday issue so that would leave UConn as #12.

Reaction Score
I think Cincy is in and UConn and BYU are "flawed" for geographical reasons and UConn for "weak" FB and BYU for the Sunday thing. In the end I don't see BYU or the Big 12 capitulating on the Sunday issue so that would leave UConn as #12.

I would agree and I think the writing has been on the wall about BYU not going to a P5 in this round (not saying they deserve too or not) for a while with Mendenhall bolting for 'greener' pastures at UVA.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

Also agree.

Although, and I know you didn't make this argument but I'm just stating it: I think Cincy is just as flawed as either us or BYU.

Namely, they have less of a market- they're the #1(a) team in their own city- although that hasn't stopped schools like that from being picked up before (hello, Louisville).

They have had less overall athletic success than either us or BYU.

They do not operate on a P5 budget currently (granted, that would obviously change with P5 membership), but we currently do operate on such a budget. What does that say about the value of their brand compared to ours?

We are a state flagship, and are funded as such by our state. Good luck getting Ohio State to relent and allow Cincy to eat at some of the state of Ohio's allotment earmarked for Ohio State, so that won't change.

We are a far better candidate than them in all respects except for this:

IMG_20160219_202355.jpg

Reaction Score
Also agree.

Although, and I know you didn't make this argument but I'm just stating it: I think Cincy is just as flawed as either us or BYU.

Namely, they have less of a market- they're the #1(a) team in their own city- although that hasn't stopped schools like that from being picked up before (hello, Louisville).

They do not operate on a P5 budget currently (granted, that would obviously change with P5 membership), but we currently do operate on such a budget. What does that say about the value of their brand compared to ours?

We are a state flagship, and are funded as such by our state. Good luck getting Ohio State to relent and allow Cincy to eat at some of the state of Ohio's allotment earmarked for Ohio State, so that won't change.

View attachment 12059

That is only about 115 miles closer. Just saying.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I would agree and I think the writing has been on the wall about BYU not going to a P5 in this round (not saying they deserve too or not) for a while with Mendenhall bolting for 'greener' pastures at UVA.

I talked to a BYU fan about this and they explained that it was because BYU can't pay their coaches well...looked it up and Mendenhall only made 900K in 2015 at BYU and is slated to make 3.25 million next year at UVA. So maybe it also had to do with BYU and their P5 status, but money had to be a primary factor as well.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Also agree.

View attachment 12059
This!

I still just don't get Cincy and why they are THE team for the Big 12. So they are closer to WVU? That's why they fit? The interview stated how Cincy's academics are solid while ours are great. Football is above ours but that's about it in terms of athletics. Markets easily go to us when factoring in NYC. I guess I still scratch my head at times as to why everyone thinks Cincy is a lock and we're fighting for our life to get that last life boat.

Reaction Score
This!

I still just don't get Cincy and why they are THE team for the Big 12. So they are closer to WVU? That's why they fit? The interview stated how Cincy's academics are solid while ours are great. Football is above ours but that's about it in terms of athletics. Markets easily go to us when factoring in NYC. I guess I still scratch my head at times as to why everyone thinks Cincy is a lock and we're fighting for our life to get that last life boat.

Ohio HS football > New England HS football

Like infinitely better. Not even close.

It's a recruiting play too.

Reaction Score
I talked to a BYU fan about this and they explained that it was because BYU can't pay their coaches well...looked it up and Mendenhall only made 900K in 2015 at BYU and is slated to make 3.25 million next year at UVA. So maybe it also had to do with BYU and their P5 status, but money had to be a primary factor as well.
I think the point is that if Mendenhall knew a P5 invite was imminent - and thus, a pay raise - he wouldn't have left BYU for a P5 school with a lesser program.

Reaction Score
Based on BYU's requirement for coaches to be members of LDS, it dramatically impacts the pool of candidates. Along with likely commitment to the Mormon church and independent status, perhaps that requirement influences potential BYU salaries.

Reaction Score
John E. Hoover ‏@johnehoover · 7h7 hours ago
John E. Hoover: #Sooners Boren, #Big12 headed for showdown
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...2-b57f-1c1f1a63b116.html#.VsefrI_31C4.twitter

“You are truly an outstanding leader and knowing that you are at the helm in Cincinnati makes me even more inclined to support your cause,” Boren said in a February 2015 email to Ono, adding that proponents of Big 12 expansion “still face an uphill battle with several of our other colleagues.”

Later in Monday’s report, in an exchange between Ono and former Kansas State president Jon Wefald, Ono was told by Wefald that “David is impressed with Cincinnati. … He knows that UC is a big-time school.”

All indications are that Boren’s other choice for expansion is BYU, though he won’t say, and he said he won’t let his personal choice logjam league-wide consensus.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
"All indications are that Borens other choice for expansion is BYU". What are those indications? I haven't heard any and the article didn't include a single one.

Reaction Score
"All indications are that Borens other choice for expansion is BYU". What are those indications? I haven't heard any and the article didn't include a single one.

I looked back through about the last eight stories that Hoover wrote regarding the Big 12 expanding and there was no mention of Boren favoring BYU. I did find this older story by Berry Tramel, where Boren spoke favorably of BYU:

BYU teams do not compete on Sundays, and a variety of Big 12 sports play on Sundays, including some championships. BYU also has developed a reputation, fair or not, for being difficult to deal with in a conference.

But OU president David Boren recently said that “I don’t know that that is accurate. That’s kind of always what’s been said … for me, I wouldn’t close the door on them. It’s a quality program.”

http://m.newsok.com/why-byu-remains-the-big-12s-best-option-for-expansion/article/5378122/?page=2

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom