Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 881 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Very curious what the required "investments" into the football program will be. Part of me hopes Dave got Lamont on board with an on campus stadium to be complete by 2031. If that happens Dave will be the best AD in UConn history
I would see it more as an agreement to expand the Rent to the amount it was designed to. If Big XII teams are coming in and we’re competitive no one is going to complain about it being off campus, let’s just be realistic here.

Reaction Score
I doubt its that huge. More likely it is around coaching staff pay and player benefits.
If that's the case then it's just a lip service thing for current big 12 fans and ADs/presidents that aren't on board. Can't spend money you don't have yet. Unless we start taking out loans against future media payouts lol

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Very curious what the required "investments" into the football program will be. Part of me hopes Dave got Lamont on board with an on campus stadium to be complete by 2031. If that happens Dave will be the best AD in UConn history
I doubt its that huge. More likely it is around coaching staff pay and player benefits.
If that's the case then it's just a lip service thing for current big 12 fans and ADs/presidents that aren't on board. Can't spend money you don't have yet. Unless we start taking out loans against future media payouts lol

I'd love to see a on campus stadium but I don't see that happening by 2031.
The Rent is fine. Spruce it up with amenities for fans, media production and visiting team facilities.
And yes, a certain level of financial commitment to staff and players.

Reaction Score
Yeah some kind of ND Deal to help flesh out a schedule. It’s nearly impossible to be an independent when no one else is
And you can't schedule games if you can't guarantee a return game. And you certainly can't do a 2 for 1. The schedules are made too far in advance

Reaction Score
I would see it more as an agreement to expand the Rent to the amount it was designed to. If Big XII teams are coming in and we’re competitive no one is going to complain about it being off campus, let’s just be realistic here.
I think Lamont is smart enough to know it's not worth putting lipstick on a pig. I don't see anything besides repairs going to the rent

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

If UConn is added, it may not be the Big 12’s last addition.

“Keep your eye on what happens in the ACC,” a source said.

Yormark, though, never wavered on his interest in UConn.

“Yormark’s going to kick every tire possible,” a Big 12 athletic director said. “We’re open to looking at anything. UConn is a big brand, the biggest-branded institution in the Northeast.”

Reaction Score
If UConn is added, it may not be the Big 12’s last addition.

“Keep your eye on what happens in the ACC,” a source said.

Yormark, though, never wavered on his interest in UConn.

“Yormark’s going to kick every tire possible,” a Big 12 athletic director said. “We’re open to looking at anything. UConn is a big brand, the biggest-branded institution in the Northeast.”
Yeah it's Big 24 or bust for Yormark. He wants it all. He knows we are a strategic add to cripple the ACCs future.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see a on campus stadium but I don't see that happening by 2031.
The Rent is fine. Spruce it up with amenities for fans, media production and visiting team facilities.
And yes, a certain level of financial commitment to staff and players.
New scoreboard and locker room renovations have been approved.

“A new $2.8 million scoreboard and other improvements to Rentschler Field in East Hartford are among the many things the state Bond Commission is poised to approve Friday at its meeting.”

IMG_0861.jpeg

Reaction Score
"The people who spoke to the AP said a definitive decision for either side is not imminent and Yormark must still build consensus among his members. The Big 12 is about to begin its first year as a 16-team conference after adding Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah from the Pac-12 last year".

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

-> Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark has renewed his pursuit of expansion target UConn, with league officials set for a meeting next week where the issue will be reintroduced for in-depth discussion, multiple Big 12 administrators and broadcasting sources told The Athletic. <-

->According to the sources, if the Big 12 did accept UConn, its football program would not join the league until the next television rights contract, or at the very least for several years. When UMass joins the MAC next year, UConn will be one of two remaining FBS independents, along with Notre Dame.

In order to feel comfortable adding another school, the current members will want assurance that UConn’s addition would not dilute their shares of league revenue.

The Big 12 is a year away from beginning a new six-year deal with ESPN and Fox that will pay its members an average of $31.7 million per school. The deal was agreed to before the former Pac-12 schools’ additions, but ESPN was required to pay a pro-rata share to the four Power 5 members. UConn, however, would not be guaranteed the same deal. <-

If ESPN doesn't give us a full share, we should (figuratively) burn that place to the ground!

Reaction Score
Matt Norlander@MattNorlander
Last week in Dallas at Big 12 AD meeting, UConn brass presented a deck highlighting investments and work they’d put into football to have it Big 12-ready by 2031. This presentation also included a sell by UConn that would lift Big 12 “from the best to the undisputed best” in basketball

·
3h
There was also the obvious inclusion of the women’s program and how big of a boon that would be for women’s hoops in the Big 12. That said, UConn was summarily dismissed by Big 12 presidents as an expansion candidate just one year ago.

·
3h
Why are we back here? Yormark has desired a NYC/northeast presence in the Big 12 since he took the job. The Huskies winning back-to-back titles in men’s BB reinforced his desire to try and convince Big 12 presidents to reconsider their previous collective stance on UConn.

·
3h
Sources emphasized that it remains unclear, as of today, if Yormark is going to get enough support to get this over the finish line when he presents next Tuesday. A big unknown. Keep in mind, he pushed hard—real hard—for Gonzaga for basically a year, but that died on the vine.

·
3h
There’s also the matter of the Big 12 JUST getting to 16 schools. A lot of ADs + presidents in that league have been steadfast that they wanted to stay at 16 for a while—especially w/ the fallout from the House case settlement still a huge unknown. Will they change their stance?

·
3h
Yormark and UConn are selling that their inclusion would come at “no additional cost to any of the 16 Big 12 schools,” sources said. That primarily stems from football being held out until 2031.

·
3h
By the way, this all lands just a few weeks removed from the Big East announcing a solid new media rights deal through the end of the decade. A deal that was sweetened in no small part because, unlike the previous Big East media deal, UConn was a major selling point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scorpio1

Top Bottom