Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 883 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I wonder what ADs would be anti-UConn. Probably. Okie State, Texas Tech, Baylor.

i would think WVU and Cincinnati would love UConn back. Fun games.
Nope on all three.

Reaction Score
I wonder what ADs would be anti-UConn. Probably. Okie State, Texas Tech, Baylor.

i would think WVU and Cincinnati would love UConn back. Fun games.
I actually think those 3 might be okay with us. I bet its TCU, Utah, and BYU as the anti-UConn faction. Maybe Colorado too

Reaction Score
I actually think those 3 might be okay with us. I bet its TCU, Utah, and BYU as the anti-UConn faction. Maybe Colorado too
My thoughts exactly (except for Colorado). We don't help football-centric TCU, Utah and BYU much, not to mention those schools are unlikely to look favorably on UConn culturally. CU might like the idea of UConn as a state flagship with good academics and a more similar cultural bent, but the football struggles might make them squeamish.

Reaction Score
The top academic schools in the big 12 will likely be in favor of UConn because they care about recruiting students from the northeast and being associated with similar schools from an academic profile. So I think the 4 corner schools will vote yes and that’s what is pushing UConn to be invited.

Reaction Score
Aren't there a lot of B12 alumni on east coast where could catch a game more easily?

Reaction Score
The top academic schools in the big 12 will likely be in favor of UConn because they care about recruiting students from the northeast and being associated with similar schools from an academic profile. So I think the 4 corner schools will vote yes and that’s what is pushing UConn to be invited.
They are AAU.

Reaction Score
Cmon this is modern athletics. They don't give a damned about academics and it's not like our 2 and 3 stars are especially smert (intended)

I think the football realities and regional considerations would be the strikes against us. As such I'd expect the bulk of the "no" to come from the western PAC schools. They'll all have their own reasons in the end.

Reaction Score
Cmon this is modern athletics. They don't give a damned about academics and it's not like our 2 and 3 stars are especially smert (intended)

I think the football realities and regional considerations would be the strikes against us. As such I'd expect the bulk of the "no" to come from the western PAC schools. They'll all have their own reasons in the end.
The athletic directors have already approved of UConn and that is why the presidents of the universities are going to be pitched next week. The presidents definitely care about academics and recruiting students with high academic profiles or students who can pay full tuition.

Reaction Score
That 2031 really bothers me the more I think about it. 2028 would make so much more sense.
2031 It’s when their tv deal expires so why does 2028 make more sense? What’s the significance of 2028?

Reaction Score
The athletic directors have already approved of UConn and that is why the presidents of the universities are going to be pitched next week.
How do you know the AD's have already approved of UConn?

An AD will give his input to his President, positive or negative.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
How do you know the AD's have already approved of UConn?

An AD will give his input to his President, positive or negative.
That’s what it sounded like to me. Majority of ADs supported and that’s why Yormark is now presenting to the Presidents.

Reaction Score
I could see it potentially taking a while just because there might be more to work out compared to last year if we had joined, as far as money, when exactly we join, scheduling arrangements, investments they want from us, etc.

That said, we don’t know how far along in the process they are, maybe that’s all been worked out and it’s really just about formalities now

Reaction Score
This article from April is relevant now. Note the quote from one Big 12 AD:

College sports is run by football, so why is the Big 12 betting big on basketball?

"We all now live on the SEC and Big 10’s chess board. This includes you, NCAA. Even if you’re not a King or a Queen on this board, you’re OK with being a rook or a pawn, too. Looking at you, Nebraska.

The ACC and Big 12 are in a death struggle to retain their spots No. 3 on the four-conference power poll rankings. Where they sit typically depends on where you live.

To keep its spot the Big 12 is doubling down not on football, but rather basketball. Because all of the premier names in college football belong to the SEC and the Big 10, the Big 12 sees its future as being the best basketball brand in the sport.

Since he was hired as commissioner of the Big 12, Brett Yormark has made it no secret that he believes basketball is an undervalued property. As football continues to eat up more of the basketball season by expanding its playoffs, this is a calculated but necessary risk.

“It’s the best way to keep our spot at the table,” one Big 12 athletic director said."

The table is that of ESPN, Fox Sports, CBS, Turner, or any potential media rights partner that wants to dump money into live sporting events. Think Amazon Prime. Perhaps Apple TV, too.

Reaction Score
This article from April is relevant now. Note the quote from one Big 12 AD:

College sports is run by football, so why is the Big 12 betting big on basketball?

"We all now live on the SEC and Big 10’s chess board. This includes you, NCAA. Even if you’re not a King or a Queen on this board, you’re OK with being a rook or a pawn, too. Looking at you, Nebraska.

The ACC and Big 12 are in a death struggle to retain their spots No. 3 on the four-conference power poll rankings. Where they sit typically depends on where you live.

To keep its spot the Big 12 is doubling down not on football, but rather basketball. Because all of the premier names in college football belong to the SEC and the Big 10, the Big 12 sees its future as being the best basketball brand in the sport.

Since he was hired as commissioner of the Big 12, Brett Yormark has made it no secret that he believes basketball is an undervalued property. As football continues to eat up more of the basketball season by expanding its playoffs, this is a calculated but necessary risk.

“It’s the best way to keep our spot at the table,” one Big 12 athletic director said."

The table is that of ESPN, Fox Sports, CBS, Turner, or any potential media rights partner that wants to dump money into live sporting events. Think Amazon Prime. Perhaps Apple TV, too.

Which is an interesting point because adding UConn also heavily hits the Big East. Arguably, no seat at the table for them unless Nova turns it around and others step up big time.

Reaction Score
Which is an interesting point because adding UConn also heavily hits the Big East. Arguably, no seat at the table for them unless Nova turns it around and others step up big time.

I can’t see the BE losing a seat but it will be seat #4 or #5. If the future is p3 with 24 teams per conference, that’s 72 teams ahead of you. The reality is the sec and B1g will be driving the rules.

Reaction Score
2031 It’s when their tv deal expires so why does 2028 make more sense? What’s the significance of 2028?
They would want UConn to have value as a football program when the next contract is negotiated.

As long as the money isn't out of their pocket, why do they care if UConn is on their schedule once in conference before the next contract is signed? In exchange for that one game, they get better ratings in the northeast from which to negotiate the next long-term deal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom