Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 734 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
UConn make two horrible hires with Red Pants and Edsall 2.0. I thought back then Edsall 2.0.was one of the worst hires that year when much better football coaches were available. Edsall just got fired from Maryland where his team looked totally out of the sync, and his offense and defense were just outdated. Still, we gave him a job and did not fire him after year 1 when it was clear he was over his head.

We picked the worst stretch of time to be bad in football. Also, we are a victim of bad timing. ACC took Louisville because FSU and Clemson had a hissy fit with the NC schools. B12 didn't take us because FOX and B1G decided to destroy the PAC-12.

Going forward, I think this indy football with other sports in a regional conference make the most sense. UConn just got a head start. I can see all the valuable big schools doing that since there is no way teams like OSU and USC want to subsidize schools like RU and Northwestern forever.

UConn needs to secure a good streaming contract combined with linear TV for football ASAP.
We do have a linear TV deal.

Reaction Score
Every G5 that got promoted won
I don’t think one caused the others. UConn goes 8-4 every year over next 3 years, they won’t be any more attractive.

UCF is the one team I see that really elevates themselves by having two good years in a row on a poor schedule.

It will help. But the program has to prepare like the call is never gonna come .

Reaction Score
I don’t think one caused the others. UConn goes 8-4 every year over next 3 years, they won’t be any more attractive.

UCF is the one team I see that really elevates themselves by having two good years in a row on a poor schedule.

It will help. But the program has to prepare like the call is never gonna come .
Cincinnati, Houston also WON big. 8-4, not really it. I agree the call is likely to never come. They wasted 5 years with Edsall 2.0 doing squat.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Disagree. I think we can really help our narrative by winning and especially by beating before schools. But if you were saying that you don't think there are any more openings, I'm inclined to agree.

Reaction Score

UCF also has like 50k students and is in a large population center in the 3rd most populous and fastest growing state in the country. It's an attractive addition.

Reaction Score
I guess that doesn’t mean as much as you think it does.

We’re not seen as additive. The conferences that we need to be in already get what we have from someone else.

And what we have isn’t perceived as valuable enough to add.
Big 10 could sure use some of our national championships.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati, Houston also WON big. 8-4, not really it. I agree the call is likely to never come. They wasted 5 years with Edsall 2.0 doing squat.Houston have had one season

Cincinnati wins big once every 5 years. Ucf been mediocre since that 25-1 stretch. Houston. When did this happen? We’re they in American?

You can’t be an embarrassment. And that is what UConn was with diaco (crazy) and Edsall 2.0.(performance).

But barring repairing that football relationship, we have to stop thinking its footballs fault.

UConn needs more if a Branding overhaul. They are doing it last two years.

The fact that Tramel, Mandel, Forde, Thamel, Murphy etc. spew inaccuracies about the school’s position, ceiling, finances, reach and popularity is a lack of pull in earned media.

I will say this, might no longer be accurate. But UConn had from about 1995-2015 a very classic view of marketing and PR.

They were gatekeepers, engaiging local media and select national ti get message out.

In case u haven’t noticed, local media has collapsed. Only Hearst is an outlet with clout, and that has come through consolidation.

So, barring the collapse of your media ecosystem, how do you get your narrative out .

This killed UConn marketing. They have had to rebuild the narrative. And like many things from 04-15, marketing, media, game experienced, promotion really lagged.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
College sports is getting hit with four of the most dramatic changes in its history: NIL, Transfer Portal, end of cable bundle, and the demographic cliff for all colleges.

I don’t know what happens next, and neither does anyone else. The future is most definitely not written in stone though.

Reaction Score
College sports is getting hit with four of the most dramatic changes in its history: NIL, Transfer Portal, end of cable bundle, and the demographic cliff for all colleges.

I don’t know what happens next, and neither does anyone else. The future is most definitely not written in stone though.
NIL is the least consequential. People worried about players getting paid. Everyone will have competitive offers in major colleges in the next couple of years. Kids will start to flick towards amenities and lifestyle than straight cash.

Transfer portal has upended the sport. No more days of teams hoarding talent.

The last two are timebombs. Money is gone from the cable bundle. It’s over as a growth product. Every year should be less money u get.

Demo cliff? It’s going to smash small colleges

Reaction Score
Cincinnati wins big once every 5 years. Ucf been mediocre since that 25-1 stretch. Houston. When did this happen? We’re they in American?

You can’t be an embarrassment. And that is what UConn was with diaco (crazy) and Edsall 2.0.(performance).

But barring repairing that football relationship, we have to stop thinking its footballs fault.

UConn needs more if a Branding overhaul. They are doing it last two years.

The fact that Tramel, Mandel, Forde, Thamel, Murphy etc. spew inaccuracies about the school’s position, ceiling, finances, reach and popularity is a lack of pull in earned media.

I will say this, might no longer be accurate. But UConn had from about 1995-2015 a very classic view of marketing and PR.

They were gatekeepers, engaiging local media and select national ti get message out.

In case u haven’t noticed, local media has collapsed. Only Hearst is an outlet with clout, and that has come through consolidation.

So, barring the collapse of your media ecosystem, how do you get your narrative out .

This killed UConn marketing. They have had to rebuild the narrative. And like many things from 04-15, marketing, media, game experienced, promotion really lagged.
Houston went 13-1, and went to NY6 bowl. You might remember who they lost to. You kind of need that type of season when not in a power conference to get taken seriously. Utah went 13-0, with Alex Smith, and promptly got into the PAC. We could win 10 more national championships in BB and it wouldn't matter as much as a run of 10 win seasons in FB with an NY6 appearance. But who knows the rules may change again if UConn had that type of run.

Reaction Score
This is not true. Since 2007, Cincinnati has won 9 or more games 12 times. And, they have been to the CFP, the only G5 school to have gotten a bid. As for Houston, since 2011, they have had 3 seasons with 12 or 13 wins.

Reaction Score
UCF also has like 50k students and is in a large population center in the 3rd most populous and fastest growing state in the country. It's an attractive addition.
Disagree. I live down here. UCF stuff shows up in discount clothing stores. Florida all over. More USF than UCF (at least near Tampa).

Reaction Score
This is not true. Since 2007, Cincinnati has won 9 or more games 12 times. And, they have been to the CFP, the only G5 school to have gotten a bid. As for Houston, since 2011, they have had 3 seasons with 12 or 13 wins.
Every G5 school to get called up has had some excellent seasons. Since 2007, we won 9 games maybe once.

Reaction Score
Disagree. I live down here. UCF stuff shows up in discount clothing stores. Florida all over. More USF than UCF (at least near Tampa).
OK well at least they live in a part of the country that's rapidly growing unlike UConn. Half this board has probably fled Connecticut for Florida which tells you everything you need to know about where the money's going.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Three consecutive eight win seasons leading up to the B-12's most recent expansion would have benefitted us tremendously. At this point, we'll need to set our sites a whole lot higher as the three schools that were upgraded without a prior football national title each had a couple of seasons where they were clearly among the top five (whether voters did or did not give them sufficient credit).

If our fan base starts thinking 8-4 seasons are sufficient to stake a claim, well, we're as clueless about this as many claim.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
NIL is the least consequential. People worried about players getting paid. Everyone will have competitive offers in major colleges in the next couple of years. Kids will start to flick towards amenities and lifestyle than straight cash.

Transfer portal has upended the sport. No more days of teams hoarding talent.

The last two are timebombs. Money is gone from the cable bundle. It’s over as a growth product. Every year should be less money u get.

Demo cliff? It’s going to smash small colleges

Demo cliff is taking down WVU in real time. Small colleges can merge up. What will bad large schools do?

Reaction Score
OK well at least they live in a part of the country that's rapidly growing unlike UConn. Half this board has probably fled Connecticut for Florida which tells you everything you need to know about where the money's going.
Yeah. But like me they carry their UCONN fandom with them. The “away” noise at last years UCONN/Florida hoops game was spectacular.
Selfishly I would be very happy to see ourselves with USF or UCF in the same conference again.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom