Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 879 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It's amusing because clearly they want to be in the SEC or B1G but it's not exactly a lateral move for football and probably won't be from a dollars perspective. The Big XII with Clemson and FSU would clearly be a stronger football conference than the ACC is with Clemson and FSU. They'd likely get more money for the conference, too.

As always it comes down to what the networks want. If ESPN wants the ACC around, then they won't pay the SEC more for taking Clemson and FSU. If they don't want the ACC around anymore then they'll end up in the SEC.

And if Fox can get FSU and Clemson cheaper by blocking their B1G invite and forcing them to the Big XII, it would hurt the ACC and also give them more potential schools to fill into the B1G and Big XII
bingo and bingo

Reaction Score
It's amusing because clearly they want to be in the SEC or B1G but it's not exactly a lateral move for football and probably won't be from a dollars perspective. The Big XII with Clemson and FSU would clearly be a stronger football conference than the ACC is with Clemson and FSU. They'd likely get more money for the conference, too.

As always it comes down to what the networks want. If ESPN wants the ACC around, then they won't pay the SEC more for taking Clemson and FSU. If they don't want the ACC around anymore then they'll end up in the SEC.

And if Fox can get FSU and Clemson cheaper by blocking their B1G invite and forcing them to the Big XII, it would hurt the ACC and also give them more potential schools to fill into the B1G and Big XII

Anyone here that still thinks the Big 12 will be a lateral move with Clemson and FSU joining is 100% out to lunch.

The ACC would effectively begin to disintegrate.

The thing is all the FSU/Clem to the Big 12 stuff last week turned out to be speculative hogwash.

Reaction Score

Past performance doesn't guarantee future results but it is a helluva psychological barrier to overcome when a person leaves one relationship and is looking to enter a new one.
Oooh Chin,
Mixing those metaphors like a drunk Bartender. Love it!!

Reaction Score
FSU is looking at this move to separate themselves from UCF and get their revenues closer to be able to compete with Florida, Alabama, etc.

They’re not making a move just for a bit more money… they’re envisioning an invite at something close to a full share or some other way to get close to the money made in the P2. Even with FSU and Clemson the Big XII won’t get there.

If FSU goes to the Big XII they’ll talk about increased revenue to save face due to a relationship that they torched. I think it’s more likely they’re looking at a partial share membership to the Big Ten or SEC (which would be the first partial share membership in the SEC). Clemson’s participation is a Hail Mary to catch on as a +1 to whatever deal FSU takes. They know if their return to above average/good from the elite run Dabo had them on happens, their ceiling becomes whatever conference below the P2 has the higher payout (meaning if FSU goes Big XII that it’s still the best they were going to get).

Reaction Score
It could very well be that FSU and the BiG and SEC are beginning their respective negotiating ploys. FSU using the B12 as leverage with the BiG and SEC. In turn, the BiG and SEC setting the stage for partial shares. Who knows?

That all said, the thought that FSU and Clemson may have overplayed their respective hands makes me giddy. I mean.......how friggin great would that be!

Serves FSU right given last season's Orange Bowl......

Reaction Score
It could very well be that FSU and the BiG and SEC are beginning their respective negotiating ploys. FSU using the B12 as leverage with the BiG and SEC. In turn, the BiG and SEC setting the stage for partial shares. Who knows?

That all said, the thought that FSU and Clemson may have overplayed their respective hands makes me giddy. I mean.......how friggin great would that be!

Serves FSU right given last season's Orange Bowl......
What goes around come around!!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I imagine that a large part of this is due to FSU & Clemson believing that they are far more desirable than they really are.

One thing that could transpire, which would be absolute poetic justice would be if their efforts do little more than make it easier for other schools to leave the ACC and those schools end up getting grbbed by the SEC/B1G. I'm guessing that at the moment they both believe that ND would be the only school that would be picked ahead of them, but in reality at a minimum UNC and UVA would be grabbed in a heartbeat.

One thing that shouldn't be minimized is that the SEC is still missing a presence in two southern (and eastern) states; Virginia & North Carolina. That alone may have some value to the SEC. I'm also confident that the overall academic stature and reputation (even with the no show classes at UNC) of UNC and UVA is very attractive to the B1G.

Reaction Score
I imagine that a large part of this is due to FSU & Clemson believing that they are far more desirable than they really are.

One thing that could transpire, which would be absolute poetic justice would be if their efforts do little more than make it easier for other schools to leave the ACC and those schools end up getting grbbed by the SEC/B1G. I'm guessing that at the moment they both believe that ND would be the only school that would be picked ahead of them, but in reality at a minimum UNC and UVA would be grabbed in a heartbeat.

One thing that shouldn't be minimized is that the SEC is still missing a presence in two southern (and eastern) states; Virginia & North Carolina. That alone may have some value to the SEC. I'm also confident that the overall academic stature and reputation (even with the no show classes at UNC) of UNC and UVA is very attractive to the B1G.
Put me in the camp that day UNC and Virginia are doubtful adds to either the BIG or the SEC. Neither one adds $60+ million of value. Neither is a football power. And the BIG doesn’t need Maryland 2.0. And the SEC doesn’t care about academics. The Big cares about about it, just not as much as they do football prowess. Bottom line is neither adds much value and so how much are members willing to reduce their take to add those 2? Looked at differently, if UNC and Virginia are so darned valuable in football why doesn’t the ACC just feature them in place of FSU and Clemson?

Reaction Score
FSU is just throwing a tantrum. LOL Billybud and the Tallahassee Trash.
Don't believe everything you read. No conference is going to put it out there that they are trying to pry FSU and Clemson away from the ACC due to legal reasons. FSU and Clemson have to free themselves from the ACC before either the SEC or Big 10 would show interest. That said, I have never believed that the Big 10 has any interest in FSU.

Reaction Score
FSU is looking at this move to separate themselves from UCF and get their revenues closer to be able to compete with Florida, Alabama, etc.

They’re not making a move just for a bit more money… they’re envisioning an invite at something close to a full share or some other way to get close to the money made in the P2. Even with FSU and Clemson the Big XII won’t get there.

If FSU goes to the Big XII they’ll talk about increased revenue to save face due to a relationship that they torched. I think it’s more likely they’re looking at a partial share membership to the Big Ten or SEC (which would be the first partial share membership in the SEC). Clemson’s participation is a Hail Mary to catch on as a +1 to whatever deal FSU takes. They know if their return to above average/good from the elite run Dabo had them on happens, their ceiling becomes whatever conference below the P2 has the higher payout (meaning if FSU goes Big XII that it’s still the best they were going to get).
Let's say the unlikely were to happen and FSU & Clemson go XII. We know the revenue won't be close to B1G. The actual product on the field though. How close would or could XII be to B1G? Everyone likes to put the Cash before the Horse but if the actual performance is there, the rewards will come later. 4 programs in Texas and 2 in Florida. That's a lot of recruiting material for the rest of the conference. I think at that point they would be referred to as P3.

Reaction Score
Put me in the camp that day UNC and Virginia are doubtful adds to either the BIG or the SEC. Neither one adds $60+ million of value. Neither is a football power. And the BIG doesn’t need Maryland 2.0. And the SEC doesn’t care about academics. The Big cares about about it, just not as much as they do football prowess. Bottom line is neither adds much value and so how much are members willing to reduce their take to add those 2? Looked at differently, if UNC and Virginia are so darned valuable in football why doesn’t the ACC just feature them in place of FSU and Clemson?
In the current cable bundled channel world, UNC and UVA are more valuable than $60 million. Why? The price for the BTN or SECN in an in-market state is ~$1.50 per subscriber. North Carolina probably has ~3 million cable subscribers so $1.50 x 3 million x 12 months = $54 million. Virginia is a little bit less due to a smaller number of cable subscribers. And, that is just for the conference network. So, UNC and UVA can be positive adds to either the Big 10 or SEC.

Reaction Score
FSU using the Big 12 for leverage and/or the B1G and SEC saying they are not interested is either a ploy for posturing or the end game for the B1G is Notre Dame plus whoever ND wants to bring with them and the end game for the SEC is UNC plus whoever UNC wants to bring with them.

Reaction Score
Paul Finebaum: North Carolina is at the top of SEC's priority list if it further expands

The SEC doesn’t seem at all interested in any further expansion with the league now at 16 teams. Even so, if they were, Paul Finebaum knows the school that would be their next prime candidate in realignment.

Still, if the SEC were to add a new member, Finebaum says what he has heard is that the obvious pick would be North Carolina. The only question would be if the Tar Heels would join on their own or if at least one more team came along with them to make it an even number at 18.

“It’s North Carolina at the top,” Finebaum stated. “I think, after that, it’s a little bit unknown. There’s a million different theories. Would North Carolina take someone with them? Or would they just sit around?”

“The one thing I feel pretty confident of, though, is that, if something happens in the next couple weeks, it won’t be Florida State going to the SEC. I mean it just seems like they have shot themselves in the foot on that,” explained Finebaum. “I don’t think Clemson is in as bad of shape but they are now lumped with Florida State.”

Reaction Score
Paul Finebaum: North Carolina is at the top of SEC's priority list if it further expands

The SEC doesn’t seem at all interested in any further expansion with the league now at 16 teams. Even so, if they were, Paul Finebaum knows the school that would be their next prime candidate in realignment.

Still, if the SEC were to add a new member, Finebaum says what he has heard is that the obvious pick would be North Carolina. The only question would be if the Tar Heels would join on their own or if at least one more team came along with them to make it an even number at 18.

“It’s North Carolina at the top,” Finebaum stated. “I think, after that, it’s a little bit unknown. There’s a million different theories. Would North Carolina take someone with them? Or would they just sit around?”

“The one thing I feel pretty confident of, though, is that, if something happens in the next couple weeks, it won’t be Florida State going to the SEC. I mean it just seems like they have shot themselves in the foot on that,” explained Finebaum. “I don’t think Clemson is in as bad of shape but they are now lumped with Florida State.”

UConn should lobby SEC to be added to bring the Northeast. Great basketball add, good baseball, and football won't hurt them. Ideal partner with UNC.

Reaction Score
UConn should lobby SEC to be added to bring the Northeast. Great basketball add, good baseball, and football won't hurt them. Ideal partner with UNC.
A reporter from the New York times had this idea a few years ago. Not sure it makes sense.

Reaction Score
Offer all sports sans football. 20% of a full share. Mandate 2 football games per year non-conference. What’s the worst that happens, a no?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom