Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 882 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
There is also a lot of anti northeast going on. They don’t like to come up,this way and their boosters, culturally, don’t understand why they need to engage an area of the country that is mostly about pro sports.
I get that the ads and the boosters would have a bias but wouldn’t think the presidents would. Of course they could be influenced by the boosters and berry.

Reaction Score
Matt Norlander@MattNorlander
Last week in Dallas at Big 12 AD meeting, UConn brass presented a deck highlighting investments and work they’d put into football to have it Big 12-ready by 2031. This presentation also included a sell by UConn that would lift Big 12 “from the best to the undisputed best” in basketball

·
3h
There was also the obvious inclusion of the women’s program and how big of a boon that would be for women’s hoops in the Big 12. That said, UConn was summarily dismissed by Big 12 presidents as an expansion candidate just one year ago.

·
3h
Why are we back here? Yormark has desired a NYC/northeast presence in the Big 12 since he took the job. The Huskies winning back-to-back titles in men’s BB reinforced his desire to try and convince Big 12 presidents to reconsider their previous collective stance on UConn.

·
3h
Sources emphasized that it remains unclear, as of today, if Yormark is going to get enough support to get this over the finish line when he presents next Tuesday. A big unknown. Keep in mind, he pushed hard—real hard—for Gonzaga for basically a year, but that died on the vine.

·
3h
There’s also the matter of the Big 12 JUST getting to 16 schools. A lot of ADs + presidents in that league have been steadfast that they wanted to stay at 16 for a while—especially w/ the fallout from the House case settlement still a huge unknown. Will they change their stance?

·
3h
Yormark and UConn are selling that their inclusion would come at “no additional cost to any of the 16 Big 12 schools,” sources said. That primarily stems from football being held out until 2031.

·
3h
By the way, this all lands just a few weeks removed from the Big East announcing a solid new media rights deal through the end of the decade. A deal that was sweetened in no small part because, unlike the previous Big East media deal, UConn was a major selling point.
The Big East media deal is horrible.

Reaction Score
A legit key tweet...

Only need 12!

So all we know for sure is that the UConn brass (and probably Yormark) are presenting to the Big 12 presidents this week. 12/16 votes needed.

Now for the guessing game. Who says yes/who says no?

Yes: Kansas, Arizona, Houston, WVU, Cincy, UCF (feel strongly about that)

Probably yes: KSU, ASU, ISU, Baylor

I can’t think of any firm NOs but I’d assume BYU, Utah, Colorado, TCU, Texas Tech, OK st need the convincing.

Reaction Score
That 2031 really bothers me the more I think about it. 2028 would make so much more sense. The weird thing is the articles make it sound like we are pushing that date but maybe we are just responding to what we can do by 2031. Truth is even with NLI we are not going to gain much competitive ground without the carrot of "hey you are going to get to play in the Big12". What we need is some early scheduling help from the Big12. I don't even care about the football money right away. get us in earlier for nothing if we have to so we can sell it to the kids coming in.

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
I wonder what ADs would be anti-UConn. Probably. Okie State, Texas Tech, Baylor.

i would think WVU and Cincinnati would love UConn back. Fun games.
I would think Okie Lite, Tech, and Baylor schools with good basketball (not Okie recently but y'know) would be on board, especially with the football being pushed by to 2031, I assume school like BYU, Utah, or like K State wouldn't like it tho.

Reaction Score
I would think Okie Lite, Tech, and Baylor schools with good basketball (not Okie recently but y'know) would be on board, especially with the football being pushed by to 2031, I assume school like BYU, Utah, or like K State wouldn't like it tho.
Let's find Steve Young who played for Greenwich High School and get him to convince our friends at BYU.

Reaction Score
Isn't K State serious about basketball now? They made the tournament in 2023. UConn is a plum opponent if you're looking for strength of schedule credibility.

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
Isn't K State serious about basketball now? They made the tournament in 2023. UConn is a plum opponent if you're looking for strength of schedule credibility.
true, mistake on my part

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom