Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 877 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
I think they have figured that out already, which is why they are discussing a CFB NIT.
A lot of D1 schools don't really want to be D1. They're not actually competing for championships at this level. They can't. They know they can't. They welcome the divide.

Reaction Score
I think they have figured that out already, which is why they are discussing a CFB NIT.
Agreed. They can dream... and maybe the winner of that "NIT" gets a wild card entry of some sort. But they have no other shot. They don't have the money, and the system will make sure they don't get into the playoff even if they have a dream season.

I still think there should be a separation for football and other sports in many conferences. You can have national conferences for football since your team only travels about 6 times per year. But other sports should be more regional.

Should UMass be in the MAC for all sports? Should UConn really be independent? There could be a solid conference of also-ran state school such as UMass, UConn, Delaware, JMU, Old Dominion, Colorado State, Oregon State, South Florida... Those are just a few that I thought of off the top of my head, so just think of the concept, not the schools.

I also wonder if the G5 came up with a "B Flight" of FBS football, would better FCS schools or conferences look to join.

Reaction Score
A lot of D1 schools don't really want to be D1. They're not actually competing for championships at this level. They can't. They know they can't. They welcome the divide.
Maybe a few administrators want a polite exit that other stakeholders (alumni, sponsors, etc) don't want but for the most part they do want to be in D1. They all want the national attention and to be part of the conversation

Reaction Score
Good question... one that should have been addressed a decade or so ago.
How so?

Edit: conceding to failure may be your choice. If it is, thank you for your interest in Connecticut athletics

Reaction Score
Agree. Why should UConn be in the Jv league while Rutgers, Indiana, wake forest etc. Be in the varsity?
Records since 2019 (excludes 2020 due to UConn cancelling the season):

Rutgers 18-32 Winning Seasons - 1
Indiana 17-32 Winning Seasons - 1
Wake 31-21 Winning Seasons - 3
UConn 12-37 Winning Seasons - 0

Reaction Score

They all suck but we pile up natties in Men’s and Women’s bball like cordwood. We are also pretty good at football when given a level playing field.

Reaction Score

One of those 12 wins was against BC. They sucked worse than us with more resources. Not sure we can beat Rutgers tho.

Reaction Score
I know that a lot of people here don’t like this kind of talk considering the current state of conference realignment. That said objectively the divide between the top and bottom of the current FBS is much wider on the field than the bottom of FBS and the top of FCS. The separation has happened in everything except name at this point.

This talent divide will only become more pronounced with the move to 105 scholarships, seemingly unchecked transfers, and straight up pay for play. The media spending 98% of their time covering the P4 and 2% on the G5 will only grow this separation even more.

At least The G5 is recognizing this reality and trying to do something about it. People will watch an 8 team playoff with all 5 champs and 3 wildcards. The conferences can collectively negotiate a deal and earn money and viewership for their product.

Is this a lesser tournament? Yes. Does it hurt the perception of the G5? Only if you believe that the division between the haves and have nots hasn’t already occurred. No honest individual is committing to an Arkansas State or Toledo to play football with the belief that their school can win a national championship.

They go because they love to play the game, they’re getting a free education, and potentially they can develop into a professional athlete. At least this tournament gives them something of substance to compete in as opposed to winning their conference and playing the 6th place ACC Finisher in The Monro Muffler Bowl on a Tuesday at 3:30 PM in December.

Reaction Score
Yes, I think FCS is a clownshow if those programs think they're the big time. Its a larp.

A G5 tournament is a freaking larp.
FCS programs know that they aren't the big time. They play at a lower level in part because the costs to compete are lower. They get to participate in playoffs and the fans of schools that win seem to be proud of their achievements.

I expect the G5 will have a similar though process. There is nothing wrong with playing competitive football with likeminded schools.

Reaction Score
who doesn't love nerf swords?
One of my favorite awful movies is that big brother movie where stifler and Fogle are in it and they do that LARP in Central Park, and they dress up as KISS.

LOL.

Reaction Score
One of my favorite awful movies is that big brother movie where stifler and Fogle are in it and they do that LARP in Central Park, and they dress up as KISS.

LOL.
MINOTAURRRRRRRRRRRR TASTE THE BEAST!

Reaction Score
FCS programs know that they aren't the big time. They play at a lower level in part because the costs to compete are lower. They get to participate in playoffs and the fans of schools that win seem to be proud of their achievements.

I expect the G5 will have a similar thought process. There is nothing wrong with playing competitive football with likeminded schools.
I have snowbird neighbors from the Dakotas and Montana
they take FCS very seriously. They’ll be in the outdoor pool in January when I freezing in the 60 degree weather and
their School Flags are out every Saturday just like the 2-3 Ohio State and the Minnesota Fans.
Enough with the disrespect of anyone not in a P conference .
Over 1,000,000 boys play HS football
I would think less than 10% of the male population are athletic enough to play HS football but it’s probably only 2-3% that do.
Of that only
about the best 3-4% of those are good enough to play college ball and more importantly get a scholarship.
Your talking about a pretty select bunch of kids
The majority of those kids are there for a free college education some at schools they could never dream about attending otherwise . You can laugh at a kid playing FCS but with college tuition $60,0000 +, that sport got him a $240,0000 education at some very prestigious Universities and some incredible contacts. For some it’s the opportunity to move up socially and economically. I have multiple stories in my extended family of it happening.
If your a parent of a college age kid , getting that scholarship is huge.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CajunHusk94

Top Bottom