Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 360 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score

So basically the Alliance without the B1G?

Interesting thought about an ACC-PAC championship game as I think that's where the SEC/B1G is going

Not sure what an ACC/PAC championship game would be worth but it could provide a few more dollars to both conferences

Reaction Score
School president. But I definitely think Lamont should be asking for a meeting with the ESPN CEO. Nominally, say it is about getting his read on the current realignment climate, but in the margins it should definitely be “dude don’t foook us over again.”
Fox Sports is headquartered in LA. Lamont has exactly 0 throw weight with them. Likewise, Lamont talking to other university presidents would come off as ham-handed. But, the Connecticut governor reaching out to a Connecticut company, that could be effective.
If ESPN didn't find a soft landing for us in the last 2 realignment deals why would they now? ESPN is beholden to their shareholders, not the State of CT.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If ESPN didn't find a soft landing for us in the last 2 realignment deals why would they now? ESPN is beholden to their shareholders, not the State of CT.
Has anyone ever gone to them, particularly the governor, and told them, in the nicest possible way, we are aware I think you screwed us over and we haven’t forgotten about it. Make sure it doesn’t happen again.

Again, you don’t do it that directly, but you make sure that the message is understood in the margins.

Reaction Score
Has anyone ever gone to them, particularly the governor, and told them, in the nicest possible way, we are aware I think you screwed us over and we haven’t forgotten about it. Make sure it doesn’t happen again.

Again, you don’t do it that directly, but you make sure that the message is understood in the margins.
Wish this was true, but Malloy and Herbst supposedly went to ESPN and well, here we still are.

Reaction Score

Interesting thought about an ACC-PAC championship game as I think that's where the SEC/B1G is going

Not sure what an ACC/PAC championship game would be worth but it could provide a few more dollars to both conferences

I brought this possibility up over the weekend. Two champions, just like the NFL / AFL days of the 60's.

CL82

Reaction Score
Wish this was true, but Malloy and Herbst supposedly went to ESPN and well, here we still are.
I’ve never heard that? Do you have a link?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I brought this possibility up over the weekend. Two champions, just like the NFL / AFL days of the 60's.

Had same thought but more of current AFC/NFC.

Or MLB with American and National league.

Reaction Score
I’ve never heard that? Do you have a link?
I found this:

Malloy Reached Out To ESPN On Behalf Of UConn In Big 12 Expansion Debate

Gov. Dannel P. Malloy reached out to ESPN to push for support of UConn's bid to gain entrance into the Big 12 Conference, according to two sources.

One source said that Malloy spoke to ESPN President John Skipper by phone in August. The second source said that while he did not know of a specific phone call, he said that Malloy was working on the UConn-Big 12 expansion issue because "it's good for basketball. It's good for football. It's good for the state.''

"The governor did speak with John Skipper, president of ESPN, and just as he did in a letter to Big 12 commissioner [Bob] Bowlsby, explained that UConn's strong academic and athletic program would make it an incredible asset to the Big 12."

Skipper then called Bowlsby, according to a source, and while maintaining the position that ESPN preferred no expansion, told the Big 12 commissioner if the league did add teams, that as corporate citizens in Connecticut, ESPN would appreciate that UConn be given all due consideration. 

After months of uncertainty, the conference decided Oct. 17 not to expand.

ESPN spokesman Mike Soltys declined comment except to say, "We have a productive relationship with Gov. Malloy and the state of Connecticut."

Reaction Score
Dude: I know it's often not easy to discern sarcasm on an internet bulletin board, but do you really think the poster who said that meant for it to be taken literally?
Dude: crappy use of sarcasm then, because it looks like he had a steady stream of reasoned wording in his post.

Reaction Score
I found this:

Malloy Reached Out To ESPN On Behalf Of UConn In Big 12 Expansion Debate

Gov. Dannel P. Malloy reached out to ESPN to push for support of UConn's bid to gain entrance into the Big 12 Conference, according to two sources.

One source said that Malloy spoke to ESPN President John Skipper by phone in August. The second source said that while he did not know of a specific phone call, he said that Malloy was working on the UConn-Big 12 expansion issue because "it's good for basketball. It's good for football. It's good for the state.''

"The governor did speak with John Skipper, president of ESPN, and just as he did in a letter to Big 12 commissioner [Bob] Bowlsby, explained that UConn's strong academic and athletic program would make it an incredible asset to the Big 12."

Skipper then called Bowlsby, according to a source, and while maintaining the position that ESPN preferred no expansion, told the Big 12 commissioner if the league did add teams, that as corporate citizens in Connecticut, ESPN would appreciate that UConn be given all due consideration. 

After months of uncertainty, the conference decided Oct. 17 not to expand.

ESPN spokesman Mike Soltys declined comment except to say, "We have a productive relationship with Gov. Malloy and the state of Connecticut."

"Skipper then called Bowlsby, according to a source, and while maintaining the position that ESPN preferred no expansion, told the Big 12 commissioner if the league did add teams, that as corporate citizens in Connecticut, ESPN would appreciate that UConn be given all due consideration."

Hilarious.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Because abandoning multi million dollars of infrastructure is a sound business decision. Am I right?

As the 20th C. philosopher Forrest Gump observed, "It happens".

CL82

Reaction Score
As the 20th C. philosopher Forrest Gump observed, "It happens".
No, it makes perfect sense to me. I mean ESPN revenues are way down so the absolutely most logical thing to do is a reactionary move that would cost a fortune in capital investment.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom