Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 361 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
"Skipper then called Bowlsby, according to a source, and while maintaining the position that ESPN preferred no expansion, told the Big 12 commissioner if the league did add teams, that as corporate citizens in Connecticut, ESPN would appreciate that UConn be given all due consideration."

Hilarious.
I searched for Gov Malloy, Herbst and Skipper and couldn't find it. I knew I didn't imagine it.

Thank you. @jostar1

Reaction Score
"Skipper then called Bowlsby, according to a source, and while maintaining the position that ESPN preferred no expansion, told the Big 12 commissioner if the league did add teams, that as corporate citizens in Connecticut, ESPN would appreciate that UConn be given all due consideration."

Hilarious.

“All due consideration” translation: “We’re supposed to ask you guys to help these other guys but we don’t really care whether you do or not”

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
No, it makes perfect sense to me. I mean ESPN revenues are way down so the absolutely most logical thing to do is a reactionary move that would cost a fortune in capital investment.

You're troll game on this subject is weak.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don’t disagree. My point was don’t act like we have ESPN over a barrel. I can’t stand them and their role in us being left behind. That unfortunately is not how the game works

I didn't realize that is where the thread had gone.

ESPN is a shrinking business that will have less employment in the future than it does now. Giving ESPN tax breaks is like giving tax breaks to a horse-pulled buggy or beeper manufacturer. What is the point? Connecticut should continue to make the state a great place for tech companies and financial services, and every other company needs to justify every nickel it gets from the state. Why should a shrinking dinosaur like ESPN get taxpayer subsidies?

Reaction Score
I didn't realize that is where the thread had gone.

ESPN is a shrinking business that will have less employment in the future than it does now. Giving ESPN tax breaks is like giving tax breaks to a horse-pulled buggy or beeper manufacturer. What is the point? Connecticut should continue to make the state a great place for tech companies and financial services, and every other company needs to justify every nickel it gets from the state. Why should a shrinking dinosaur like ESPN get taxpayer subsidies?
Again, I agree with you. They are the Notre Dame of media living off their name until the next Apple replaces IBM. It is one thing to change policies which have not helped this state’s business climate. In that case tell them we are not picking winners anymore and the tax break is gone. Just don’t expend them to say thanks and in return we will get your flagship university into a p 4 conference

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You're troll game on this subject is weak.
You make a stupid point, you get a stupid answer.

It’s not trolling because I’m not looking to induce you to post more on it. My goal is more of a realization where you think to yourself “oh sheet, I guess I did say that” and just walk away from it with a shred of dignity.

Reaction Score
Did you read the article or just the headline?
Read the article.
Your right and the outmigration of people and companies from Connecticut is fake news

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The ACC schools hold all the cards in the negotiation. If Clemson is pulling out $33 million a year from the ACC, and would get $115 million from the Big 10 or SEC, then it would be worth it for Clemson to leave if the ACC would get $82 million a year from the Big 10. Is Clemson willing to pay $82 million (and growing) per year until 2037 or whenever the ACC GOR ends? That would be the opening position for me if I was Wake Forest's President.

My math, and everyone else's math, on the GOR was wrong. There are 14 schools in the ACC. Assume that Clemson and FSU leave, and the subsequent contract resulted in the ACC getting $20 million per school instead of $33. The amount FSU and Clemson would owe is ($33-$20) x 12 x 15 years left on the contract. $2.34 billion. That is the starting point in damages from the left behind ACC schools.

But that is not big deal, right? Everyone can negotiate a settlement.

CL82

Reaction Score
Your right and the outmigration of people and companies from Connecticut is fake news
LOL, you went full Nelson, never go full Nelson.
(Single sentence strawman are pretty much running up the white flag.)

Reaction Score
Well..that math depends on ESPN....when Nebraska and Colorado left the Big 12, ESPN did not lower the Big 12 conference payout...and, with fewer schools to split the pie...the remaining members actually got more. And the Big 12, 4 years later when the ESPN contract expired, secured a larger contract with Fox.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
My math, and everyone else's math, on the GOR was wrong. There are 14 schools in the ACC. Assume that Clemson and FSU leave, and the subsequent contract resulted in the ACC getting $20 million per school instead of $33. The amount FSU and Clemson would owe is ($33-$20) x 12 x 15 years left on the contract. $2.34 billion. That is the starting point in damages from the left behind ACC schools.

This math isn't right, either, at least when it comes to negotiating a settlement. Keeping in mind these are media rights, you would need to subtract anything that isn't impacting them (OOC away games, neutrals, T3, etc). It's still a big, negotiated, number, but it's not this simple (and big).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You make a stupid point, you get a stupid answer.

It’s not trolling because I’m not looking to induce you to post more on it. My goal is more of a realization where you think to yourself “oh sheet, I guess I did say that” and just walk away from it with a shred of dignity.

Your troll game on this subject is weak

Reaction Score

is the 2 billion plus the GOR for the entire league? Would a school only be responsible for their share of the GOR, somewhere is the 150-200 Million range?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
is the 2 billion plus the GOR for the entire league? Would a school only be responsible for their share of the GOR, somewhere is the 150-200 Million range?

If two teams left, the damages would be the difference per team between the new contract and the old contract, times the number of remaining teams, times the number of years left on the contract.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This math isn't right, either, at least when it comes to negotiating a settlement. Keeping in mind these are media rights, you would need to subtract anything that isn't impacting them (OOC away games, neutrals, T3, etc). It's still a big, negotiated, number, but it's not this simple (and big).

I get that it is not that simple, but my math is a pretty good starting point. Things like T3 rights would actually increase the damages, not decrease them. Wake and the rest would have a claim for any prospective loss of T3 value.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Well..that math depends on ESPN....when Nebraska and Colorado left the Big 12, ESPN did not lower the Big 12 conference payout...and, with fewer schools to split the pie...the remaining members actually got more. And the Big 12, 4 years later when the ESPN contract expired, secured a larger contract with Fox.

If ESPN wants to cover the cost, then that would definitely reduce the damages. Why would ESPN do that on an already signed contract that runs for another 15 years?

CL82

Reaction Score
Multi million dollars of infrastructure?
LOL, yep. It was inelegantly phrased, perhaps, but the ESPN campus is over 20 buildings of nearly 750,000 ft.² no one is going to walk away from that because their feelings were hurt.
" ></iframe>
<iframe title="vimeo-player" src="" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reaction Score
ESPN isn't losing money if two leave the ACC to the SEC...just switching time slots on Saturdays while building an adjacent ESPN property....The ACC contract still would exist for 14 years,. All ESPN would be doing is payingthe same for two less teams but the ACC would backfill...and the contract is undervaued already.

ESPN kept paying the Big 12 because it was their property and they didn't want it to fold...ditto for the ACC...

ESPN does not want ACC teams fleeing to a Fox property like the B1G.

Reaction Score
I get that it is not that simple, but my math is a pretty good starting point. Things like T3 rights would actually increase the damages, not decrease them. Wake and the rest would have a claim for any prospective loss of T3 value.
Damages? I get the GOR but I don't see any reason a program would be liable for damages. It's not the leaving program's fault if the remaining properties don't command the same fee.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

You would be correct if the sole recourse was to sue for damages. The GOR goes much further than has been discussed here and the fact is the departing schools would need to buy their broadcast rights back from the ACC (as they have been signed over to the ACC for another decade and a half).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom