Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 363 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
If Flugs is considered key, than we are truly screwed. We are just 1 step away from having the WVU twitterati as our college sports overlords.

All hail President DudeofWV!!

giphy.gif
He pretty much called the last defections a couple weeks early I think. Beat out a ton of so called beat guys who got caught flat footed.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The ACC and SEC are essentially ESPN properties.

The B1G is essentially a FOX property.

The B1G may want to add UNC and UVA at some point in the future. If ESPN would like to keep UNC and UVA away from FOX forever and always, ESPN can effectively allow UNC and UVA to buy their way out of the ACC GOR and into the SEC at a negotiated number everyone feels good about.

ESPN can then backfill the ACC with UConn and WVU, and pay the teams the same TV contract minus a % to UConn and WVU. Everyone else in the ACC can kick rocks because they really aren't valuable enough for ESPN to need to protect them from the B1G/FOX.

Conference hierarchy will be:
B1G/SEC
ACC
Big 12/PAC combo maybe with a side of SDSU and Boise

Two to four of ND, Oregon, Stanford, and Washington go to B1G. Those that don't go to the combo platter conference.

The end.
Sounds reasonable and possible- except I just don’t know if Clemson/FSU/Miami will let ESPN slide out Virginia and UNC without getting their own deal to exit too.

Reaction Score

Not a tweet, but interesting tidbit in this article:

247Sports’ Josh Pate reported on a Monday podcast that “there are conversations happening with folks at Clemson and folks in the Big Ten.”

“Everything that seemed impossible just a few years ago is now a possibility,” an industry source told McMurphy.

Clemson will not comment on the realignment reports, an athletics department spokesman told The State on Wednesday.

DGB

Reaction Score
Sounds reasonable and possible- except I just don’t know if Clemson/FSU/Miami will let ESPN slide out Virginia and UNC without getting their own deal to exit too.
Clemson, FSU, and Miami are interesting, but they are the second team in SC and the second and third teams in Florida respectively.

Would FOX/B1G be interested in the market share these schools bring, knowing the bigger piece of the pie in those states is controlled by ESPN/SEC via UF and USCe? Would FOX/B1G really throw the hundreds of millions we are talking about at secondary market share adds?

If not, those schools have no leverage and should be happy to be in a well-paid ACC. If FOX/BIG would do this, then all of Va Tech, Duke, NC St, and G-tech are also on the table. I lean towards the former.

Reaction Score
Clemson, FSU, and Miami are interesting, but they are the second team in SC and the second and third teams in Florida respectively.

Would FOX/B1G be interested in the market share these schools bring, knowing the bigger piece of the pie in those states is controlled by ESPN/SEC via UF and USCe? Would FOX/B1G really throw the hundreds of millions we are talking about at secondary market share adds?

If not, those schools have no leverage and should be happy to be in a well-paid ACC. If FOX/BIG would do this, then all of Va Tech, Duke, NC St, and G-tech are also on the table. I lean towards the former.

Market share doesn't matter anymore. People will watch Clemson outside of small SC market. More than who is watch SC.

Reaction Score
Market share doesn't matter anymore. People will watch Clemson outside of small SC market. More than who is watch SC.
LOL. Remember when Rutgers got in and all anyone everywhere touted was cable box size? Same with Syracuse and Boston College.

How quickly that fell on its face. ESPN, nor other rights holders, saw streaming coming (how they missed that disruption is fascinating and why I am not a sportswriter anymore).

Now, it isn't about size of potential fan base, it is about intensity of fan support mixed with size. You need a big fanbase and brand while also having rabid intensity.

If football gets off the mat again, UConn could have something because the men, when good, have an excellent fanbase and the women's program is a national crown jewel (Paige Bueckers is probably most known women's NCAA athlete currently in school).

It doesn't overcome the football problem, but those are attractive ancillary pieces. UConn has everything you would want except a functioning football program. Mora's got a big job. Program overachieved first 10 years. Have underachieved last 10.

Reaction Score
All we need now are obligatory statements "we are proud and committed members of the ACC", and we will know this is real.
UConn issued the following statement about reports regarding a move [to the Big East]:

"It is our responsibility to always be mindful of what is in the best interest of our student athletes, our fans and our future. With that being said, we have been and remain proud members of the American Athletic Conference."

Reaction Score
Is this Key?

"(Mora) has a goal of joining the ACC in a few years. "

What I find interesting about this is the money thats involved.

The money doesn't matter if you join the B1G or SEC. But if we end up joining the ACC, I have to imagine it's a relatively strong ACC that still gets a decent payout. Because if it's a walking corpse and we have to pay tens of millions of dollars to get out of the Big East, I'm not sure how much financial sense it makes. I guess that's a good thing. Maybe the ACC plans to go to 18 or something preemptively before 2036 and we get in that way instead of through defections.

Reaction Score
LOL. Remember when Rutgers got in and all anyone everywhere touted was cable box size? Same with Syracuse and Boston College.

How quickly that fell on its face. ESPN, nor other rights holders, saw streaming coming (how they missed that disruption is fascinating and why I am not a sportswriter anymore).

Now, it isn't about size of potential fan base, it is about intensity of fan support mixed with size. You need a big fanbase and brand while also having rabid intensity.

If football gets off the mat again, UConn could have something because the men, when good, have an excellent fanbase and the women's program is a national crown jewel (Paige Bueckers is probably most known women's NCAA athlete currently in school).

It doesn't overcome the football problem, but those are attractive ancillary pieces. UConn has everything you would want except a functioning football program. Mora's got a big job. Program overachieved first 10 years. Have underachieved last 10.
Yeah it's not about casual fans. It's about fans who will buy streaming packages to watch college football

DGB

Reaction Score
Ehh...people outside of SC will watch Clemson when Clemson is good. When they're not they won't. Nebraska is arguably a bigger historical brand than Clemson and nobody outside of the corn fields is watching them right now.

This is why FOX/B1G cared about USC and UCLA. They bring ad buys in the second biggest market in the country.

This is also why Miami (city of Miami) and Ga Tech (Atlanta) may be more interesting to FOX/B1G (and therefore more likely to be protected by ESPN in the SEC) than Clemson and FSU. Though, frankly I'd guess none of these schools are that high on the list.

If FOX/B1G has a regret in expansion, it's Nebraska, not Rutgers. Rutgers did what it was supposed to do with NYC. Nebraska has been useless.

Market, and share thereof absolutely matters.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
If FOX/B1G has a regret in expansion, it's Nebraska, not Rutgers. Rutgers did what it was supposed to do with NYC. Nebraska has been useless.

This is how I feel. I really don’t regret Nebraska, but they are just kinda there. I suppose an Iowa fan might feel different, but games against Nebraska are like games against Wisconsin or Iowa for me. Rutgers and Maryland did exactly what they were supposed to do, give the Big10 a presence. Do they do it alone? Hell no! But with the strong alumni base Michigan, OSU, PSU and Indiana have in the NYC and DC areas, they work. Put ND with those and you have a great market presence that no other football conference has. The Big East still is a big presence, but not like a football presence is.
This is also why Miami (city of Miami) and Ga Tech (Atlanta) may be more interesting to FOX/B1G (and therefore more likely to be protected by ESPN in the SEC) than Clemson and FSU. Though, frankly I'd guess none of these schools are that high on the list.

I think you are on to something with GT. I believe that the Big10 would add them before Duke and maybe even UVA. The Atlanta market with the Big10 alumni base might work. ND and, to a lesser extent, UNC are the big gets now.

Reaction Score
Georgia Tech makes sense for the B1G for the following reasons:

1. Atlanta market (plus the entire state is exploding with growth)
2. AAU status
3. A conference presence in the southeast for recruiting purposes (plus the B1G is calling itself a national conference, so you need a presence in the southeast)
4. A school located in the heart of SEC country. Plant that B1G flag in the heart of the south!

The million dollar question or should I say $100 million question - Would Georgia Tech hold its own without decreasing conference payouts to everyone else?

Reaction Score
Ehh...people outside of SC will watch Clemson when Clemson is good. When they're not they won't. Nebraska is arguably a bigger historical brand than Clemson and nobody outside of the corn fields is watching them right now.

This is why FOX/B1G cared about USC and UCLA. They bring ad buys in the second biggest market in the country.

I've said this a bunch of times thru the years on the BY.

Nebraska was much more of a lottery winner than Rutgers because there was always going to be a desire to add Rutgers at some point because of their location. In fact the ACC should have added Rutgers (and UConn) when they added Syracuse. They may not be sucking on a significantly under valued TV contract now if Swofford had some foresight

The B1G added Nebraska just before conferences realized that you needed to bring more to the table than just a name. Delaney didn't make many mistakes but, I'd bet in private, he'd admit adding the Huskers was a wasted move for the B1G

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

If market and share thereof mattered, Rutgers would not be in the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Nebraska was a wasted addition. Too much tradition for their current downward shift to last forever. They are an anchor school when they return to their glory days. Bo Pelini had them winning 9 games a season and was fired because that wasn’t good enough. The Cornhuskers will find their way eventually.

Penn State
Nebraska
Maryland
Rutgers
USC
UCLA

Each of the six had a reason for being added that was centered on benefitting the conference in the next 100 years or more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom