Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 30 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Right. And I'm not taking anything away from the man's tremendous accomplishments. However, that doesn't make it Manuel or Herbst's fault that we weren't invited to the ACC for an inferior football program to Louisville, nor does it change the tenuous situation of UConn's basketball program while transitioning away from a Hall of Fame coach or dealing with a postseason ban.

Nor does it absolve Calhoun of his responsibility for the APR mess. Even great men make mistakes.

For all he has done for the university, yes, JC did make mistakes and the APR thing was one of them. However, there are other programs who gamed the system to avoid the APR mess.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Syracuse and Louisville both lost scholarships to the APR.

They were just lucky that the NCAA decided to move the line in the sand when they did - we weren't.

Reaction Score
I don't blame any of the coaches for this. Frankly I thought the whole Warde waiting for Ollie's grades thing was a complete farce. It's up to the university, the academic side, to negotiate how far they are willing to drop the standards.

The thing is, as years go by, I'm less and less hung up on all this, because now the farce has seeped over to the academic side, and you see the same sort of fudges trying to get regular students through to graduation with lower standards. It's gotten to the point where they should just reduce time to degree to 3 years and lower requirements instead of setting up cash cow intersession courses. Those are all the rage all over America (no student loans or scholarship money allowed to pay for those courses; it's straight cash!).

Reaction Score
So if I read all this correctly, nothing is happening, people are still looking to blame someone for that fact that something didn't happen already, and the SEC is getting a cable channel. Meanwhile, a guy at ESPN thinks that people in Connecticut will watch Georgia-Florida and Bama-LSA (rocket scientist there). Oh, and GopherHawk is tired of winter and the oxidation of ferrous metals and has a little bit of Michigan/Ohio State envy. That about cover the last 50 posts?
You're forgetting McMurphy of ESPN, whose been pretty on top of stuff in realignment who speculated that Missouri and UConn would make sense for B1G expansion in the next few years based on comments of important people associated with the B1G not named Delany.

Reaction Score
It was on the players, not Calhoun. You are saying he has to tie Edwards down. If two players like Edwards leave, your APR gets dinged. Syracuse fell afoul of APR, Louisville, several others did as well. You say it was on his watch. Uh, tell us what you want him to do. He's a basketball coach. What do you want him to do?

Nothing. I don't really think it's his fault per se. Though I do think the Nate Miles stuff made it easier for the NCAA to want to come after us.

The whole point I was making wasn't that it was Calhoun's fault, but that people blamed Manuel and Herbst for Louisville" outmaneuvering" us into the ACC. But I think the truth is that Louisville has a better supported football program and less of a tough situation in basketball (not losing an HOF coach/dealing with a postseason ban).

I was saying, if you blame someone, it sure as heck can't be Manuel/Herbst. I'm sorry if I implied it was all on Calhoun. That wasn't really what I meant to say.

Reaction Score
Nothing. I don't really think it's his fault per se. Though I do think the Nate Miles stuff made it easier for the NCAA to want to come after us.

The whole point I was making wasn't that it was Calhoun's fault, but that people blamed Manuel and Herbst for Louisville" outmaneuvering" us into the ACC. But I think the truth is that Louisville has a better supported football program and less of a tough situation in basketball (not losing an HOF coach/dealing with a postseason ban).

I was saying, if you blame someone, it sure as heck can't be Manuel/Herbst. I'm sorry if I implied it was all on Calhoun. That wasn't really what I meant to say.

I agree it wasn't on the two in administration--though of course I've been saying all along that it was a combo of BC blocking UConn early and FSU insisting on Ville's football that froze UConn out. Given those 2 factors, there was little to be done. The other stuff, especially APR (remember, Louisville fell afoul of APR too!), even the Miles stuff, is secondary given everything going on in the college game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You're forgetting McMurphy of ESPN, whose been pretty on top of stuff in realignment who speculated that Missouri and UConn would make sense for B1G expansion in the next few years based on comments of important people associated with the B1G not named Delany.

I wouldn't necessarily say McMurphy is on top of expansion as much as he doesn't speculate. He's been more of the "Better to be right than be first".

Reaction Score
As long as B1G athletic directors (Michigan's Dave Brandon) or coaches (Penn State's Bill O'Brien) continue to make a statement that conference expansion may not be over, then speculation will continue. However, I do think this kind of statement from Jim Delaney makes it highly unlikely it will happen soon: 'Several commissioners stated at last week's College Football Playoff meetings that expansion conversations should simmer for awhile because of the ACC's move. Including Delany. "(Now) we could all use the opportunity to focus on what we have and what we're trying to build,” Delany said.' http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...eriously-with-several-schools-about-expansion. I still think, long term, the B1G will look at expansion to 16. Given the desire of the B1G to move into two regions, additional teams from the east - such as UCONN - would seem to be more likely in my opinion. When you will have 11 teams in the midwest and 3 teams in the east it would seem to me that you would want additional teams in that second region to better represent the conference there.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
McMurphy told me new SEC deal has no GOR. So if the B1G wanted to go for Mizzou do you think Mizzou would bite?

Reaction Score
There you go. Expansion rumors will now continue until Missouri says something along the lines of we don't want anything to do with the B1G. Saying simply you're very happy with the SEC won't quell the B1G expansion rumors.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
So, expansion hinges on Missouri. It's fall 2011 all over again.

Reaction Score
McMurphy told me new SEC deal has no GOR. So if the B1G wanted to go for Mizzou do you think Mizzou would bite?

My opinion: no. I imagine there are faculty at Mizzou who would have interest in a move to the B1G for academic reasons - number of AAU members, inclusion in CIC, etc. However, I think the prior lack of interest from the B1G, financial benefits from the forthcoming SEC network, competition in the best college football conference at this time, and access to the best recruiting grounds for college football would win the argument.

Reaction Score
There you go. Expansion rumors will now continue until Missouri says something along the lines of we don't want anything to do with the B1G. Saying simply you're very happy with the SEC won't quell the B1G expansion rumors.

As well as because of statements such as this. "Slive downplays it but there is sure to be speculation about further SEC expansion. Some influential SEC figures already have their eyes on the states of Virginia and North Carolina, where sizable TV markets like Washington, D.C., Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham have great appeal." http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ference-nine-game-schedule-expansion/2131081/. These "influential SEC figures" must not think too much of the ACC GOR. I doubt they are eyeing ODU and ECU for inclusion in the SEC.

pj

Reaction Score
As well as because of statements such as this. "Slive downplays it but there is sure to be speculation about further SEC expansion. Some influential SEC figures already have their eyes on the states of Virginia and North Carolina, where sizable TV markets like Washington, D.C., Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham have great appeal." http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ference-nine-game-schedule-expansion/2131081/. These "influential SEC figures" must not think too much of the ACC GOR. I doubt they are eyeing ODU and ECU for inclusion in the SEC.

I've said this before but it bears repeating: the point of a GoR is to tie schools to TV networks. The ACC GoR assigns school media rights to the conference and the conference has assigned them to ESPN. So the two contracts give the school rights to ESPN. ESPN also has SEC rights. So an ACC school can move to the SEC no problem; ESPN will be fine with it and their games will be televised and the money will flow just as it would if there was no GoR. What an ACC school can't so easily do is move to a Fox conference like the B1G.

Reaction Score
I've said this before but it bears repeating: the point of a GoR is to tie schools to TV networks. The ACC GoR assigns school media rights to the conference and the conference has assigned them to ESPN. So the two contracts give the school rights to ESPN. ESPN also has SEC rights. So an ACC school can move to the SEC no problem; ESPN will be fine with it and their games will be televised and the money will flow just as it would if there was no GoR. What an ACC school can't so easily do is move to a Fox conference like the B1G.

My apologies. Thank you for the information.

Reaction Score

Do you have a link where this issue was discussed?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm just saying, most basketball programs managed to get through this unscathed.
Well they kind a cooked the books on us. When it was going to in effect immediately a lot of other schools would have been sanctioned. If they had used current data UConn would not have been sanctioned. If we had given out grades for no show classes, we would not have been sanctioned. If we had a booster giving kids booze and hookers we would not have been sanctioned. If they got sweetheart deals from jewelers and then tried to steal the stuff instead of paying for it we'd have been okay or if their dad had been auctioning off their services to the highest bidder that would have been fine too. Sound kind of arbitrary? It does to me as well.

Reaction Score
@frankthetank111: Michigan AD comments RT @nickbaumgardner: Brandon says 14 Big Ten teams is "very workable number... we could be at this number forever."

@frankthetank111: Note that Dave Brandon has been one of the more outspoken proponents of Big Ten expansion, so it means a little more when he says it's done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
@frankthetank111: Michigan AD comments RT @nickbaumgardner: Brandon says 14 Big Ten teams is "very workable number... we could be at this number forever."

@frankthetank111: Note that Dave Brandon has been one of the more outspoken proponents of Big Ten expansion, so it means a little more when he says it's done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read statements such as the one above and then an article such as the one below and can't help but think 14 Big Ten teams is likely for the time being but not forever.
It is just difficult for me to understand why the B1G moved into the East and plans an office in the East yet stopped at only 3 (PSU, Maryland, Rutgers) from the region at this time.
UCONN ... I think you would be a worthwhile addition to the B1G ... I hope the offer comes your way sooner rather than later.

'More jousting in store?
On Friday, as Swofford waited for his flight home to North Carolina, he said that his moves are never made in response to another conference’s actions, indicating that the grant of rights agreement was made with only the ACC’s well-being in mind.
Delany said his counterpart’s move was smart. “John’s tactic was a good one,” he said.
But others, including those who know both men, spent the following days speculating that, if the Big Ten hadn’t gotten involved with Maryland,Swofford never would have gone to such lengths to protect the ACC.
“People are competing hard, and people are doing the best for their team, and those guys – they don’t take that lightly,” said Charles Waddell, a former North Carolina football player who has worked for both men and now is the deputy athletic director at South Carolina. “They both play at a high level, and they’re both very, very smart. So you’re going to see some of the things, some of the innovative things coming out of both of those guys.
“People kind of expect it with Jim, because a lot of times he’s out in front of the parade. But John is, most of the time, where he wants to be.”
After so many years, their routes taking such twists and turns, Waddell said he doesn’t expect last week’s news to truly end realignment. It wouldn’t be in Delany’s nature to accept a loss without having something up his sleeve — especially when it was his former classmate who delivered it.
“He’s not going to stop thinking about it and how things can go,” Waddell said. “I would be surprised if this is the way things end up. I don’t know how it’s going to be done, but for some reason I don’t think this is the last move.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...fd9a06-aea1-11e2-a986-eec837b1888b_story.html

Reaction Score
I read statements such as the one above and then an article such as the one below and can't help but think 14 Big Ten teams is likely for the time being but not forever.
It is just difficult for me to understand why the B1G moved into the East and plans an office in the East yet stopped at only 3 (PSU, Maryland, Rutgers) from the region at this time.
UCONN ... I think you would be a worthwhile addition to the B1G ... I hope the offer comes your way sooner rather than later.

'More jousting in store?
On Friday, as Swofford waited for his flight home to North Carolina, he said that his moves are never made in response to another conference’s actions, indicating that the grant of rights agreement was made with only the ACC’s well-being in mind.
Delany said his counterpart’s move was smart. “John’s tactic was a good one,” he said.
But others, including those who know both men, spent the following days speculating that, if the Big Ten hadn’t gotten involved with Maryland,Swofford never would have gone to such lengths to protect the ACC.
“People are competing hard, and people are doing the best for their team, and those guys – they don’t take that lightly,” said Charles Waddell, a former North Carolina football player who has worked for both men and now is the deputy athletic director at South Carolina. “They both play at a high level, and they’re both very, very smart. So you’re going to see some of the things, some of the innovative things coming out of both of those guys.
“People kind of expect it with Jim, because a lot of times he’s out in front of the parade. But John is, most of the time, where he wants to be.”
After so many years, their routes taking such twists and turns, Waddell said he doesn’t expect last week’s news to truly end realignment. It wouldn’t be in Delany’s nature to accept a loss without having something up his sleeve — especially when it was his former classmate who delivered it.
“He’s not going to stop thinking about it and how things can go,” Waddell said. “I would be surprised if this is the way things end up. I don’t know how it’s going to be done, but for some reason I don’t think this is the last move.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...fd9a06-aea1-11e2-a986-eec837b1888b_story.html

My gut was right about Md long before most BIG fans & despite less shock, I knew Rutgers would join as well. My feeling about UCONN to the BIG is equally the same at this point.

It will be UConn for 15 & it may stop there until the Big12 begins to implode, which will happen before the GOR expires.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Chadd Scott (@ChaddScott)
5/15/13, 10:11 AM
I was told last night FSU AD Randy Spetman was CRITICAL in bringing Louisville to ACC; for that he should be applauded

5/15/13, 10:17 AM
What I was told by someone w/ intimate knowledge of situation FSU's Spetman & SYR AD Gross 2 key players in bringing UL to ACC

5/15/13, 10:37 AM
@BlatantHomerism it would have been "easier" in a sense to invite UConn & follow SOP, UL move rejuvenated the league in a tough time

Reaction Score
Syracuse? They must be really b*tthurt by the beatings on the football field. And the trophy case.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
To the extent that the selection of Louisville over UConn most likely "saved" the ACC I can't argue with the pick. UConn is in a far better market, has far better academics and has a far better future than Louisville but all of that would have been for naught if the ACC collapsed. I think it says a lot about perception and how reluctant some administrators are to look past the length of their nose.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom