Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 31 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Chadd Scott (@ChaddScott)
5/15/13, 10:37 AM
@BlatantHomerism it would have been "easier" in a sense to invite UConn & follow SOP, UL move rejuvenated the league in a tough time

Boy, I never realized until now that the ACC wildly overrates Louisville! We're talking about a team that is 4-4 against UConn. How exactly did Louisville football rejuvenate this conference? I know that ACC football is terrible, but I never thought it was really this bad, so bad that Louisville joining would make for a jubilee!

Reaction Score
5/15/13, 10:11 AM
I was told last night FSU AD Randy Spetman was CRITICAL in bringing Louisville to ACC; for that he should be applauded

5/15/13, 10:17 AM
What I was told by someone w/ intimate knowledge of situation FSU's Spetman & SYR AD Gross 2 key players in bringing UL to ACC

5/15/13, 10:37 AM
@BlatantHomerism it would have been "easier" in a sense to invite UConn & follow SOP, UL move rejuvenated the league in a tough time
These tweets make me want to vomit. B1Gharder

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Boy, I never realized until now that the ACC wildly overrates Louisville! We're talking about a team that is 4-4 against UConn. How exactly did Louisville football rejuvenate this conference? I know that ACC football is terrible, but I never thought it was really this bad, so bad that Louisville joining would make for a jubilee!

Winning BCS games. I am convinced that if we beat OU then Cuse or Pitt is in our spot right now.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Winning BCS games. I am convinced that if we beat OU then Cuse or Pitt is in our spot right now.

I disagree. Pitt has a long term relationship with Notre Dame, so getting Pitt helped with getting ND for the ACC. Also, Syracuse had already been selected for the ACC back in 2003, so they were a clear choice. Both schools have much more football tradition than UConn.

You also have to think that the end game for the ACC was to try and get Penn St. to join. (I know, many of you will say that PSU would never have left the Big 10, but ...) Penn St would have had rivals in the ACC like BC, Pitt, Syracuse, and Maryland which would have made the ACC attractive for them. Imagine if the ACC had lured Penn State and Rutgers to the ACC before the Big 10 added Maryland and Rutgers?

The ACC could have been:

North: BC/Syracuse/Pitt/Rutgers/Penn St./Maryland/Virginia Tech/Virginia
South: UNC/NC St./WF/Duke/Clemson/GT/FSU/Miami

This would have been the #2 football conference behind the SEC and the #1 basketball conference. The media contract would have been huge as Penn St/Rutgers/Syracuse would have locked up NYC, NY, PA, NJ. This would have been very bad for UConn, but I think it was the home run play for the ACC.

Reaction Score
basically, if Louisville had kragthorpe still Uconn would be in the ACC? or if Uconn hired a real coach when Edsall left, Uconn might be in the ACC?

Reaction Score

All credit to Ville and West Virginia then. We know Rutgers, Pitt and Cuse didn't win any BCS bowl games. But, to be fair, Ville won the bowl game a month and a half after being invited.

Reaction Score
I disagree. Pitt has a long term relationship with Notre Dame, so getting Pitt helped with getting ND for the ACC. Also, Syracuse had already been selected for the ACC back in 2003, so they were a clear choice. Both schools have much more football tradition than UConn.

You also have to think that the end game for the ACC was to try and get Penn St. to join. (I know, many of you will say that PSU would never have left the Big 10, but ...) Penn St would have had rivals in the ACC like BC, Pitt, Syracuse, and Maryland which would have made the ACC attractive for them. Imagine if the ACC had lured Penn State and Rutgers to the ACC before the Big 10 added Maryland and Rutgers?

The ACC could have been:

North: BC/Syracuse/Pitt/Rutgers/Penn St./Maryland/Virginia Tech/Virginia
South: UNC/NC St./WF/Duke/Clemson/GT/FSU/Miami

This would have been the #2 football conference behind the SEC and the #1 basketball conference. The media contract would have been huge as Penn St/Rutgers/Syracuse would have locked up NYC, NY, PA, NJ. This would have been very bad for UConn, but I think it was the home run play for the ACC.

I think Pitt had little to nothing to do with ND. ND is its own thing. And, PSU is the school that lured Maryland out of the ACC. PSU has been pimping Maryland and Rutgers to the B1G for over a decade. Several years ago, I posted that info on this board. I also posted it because when PSU came calling to the BE in the 1980s, the PSU people claimed they came to Gavitt with Maryland in their back pocket. Maryland was already interested in jumping back then--to the BE!

Reaction Score
I think Pitt had little to nothing to do with ND. ND is its own thing. And, PSU is the school that lured Maryland out of the ACC. PSU has been pimping Maryland and Rutgers to the B1G for over a decade. Several years ago, I posted that info on this board. I also posted it because when PSU came calling to the BE in the 1980s, the PSU people claimed they came to Gavitt with Maryland in their back pocket. Maryland was already interested in jumping back then--to the BE!

I do not think that the ACC brought Pitt into the fold to entice ND to join the conference, but any association with ND is good and Pitt does have a decent rivalry going with ND. Only a few teams have played ND more than Pitt in the last 40-50 years. It did not hurt Pitt to have a home game against ND every other year for the ACC/ESPN to broadcast. I do not think ND played much of a factor at all in Syracuse getting an invite, but Cuse also had ND on their future schedules.

And I agree with UConnJim. When it was first announced that Pitt was going to the ACC, newspapers and blogs in Pittsburgh swirled with the idea of PSU leaving the B1G for the ACC (and maybe even WVU although unrealistic). The basis was that the B1G GOR was soon to end, and PSU may want to look for a fresh start in another conference. PSU could use moving to the ACC as a way of closing the chapter on the Paterno/scandel era. I think the ACC was definitely going to make a play at PSU with Rutgers. That was the pipe dream end game for the ACC. With Rutgers and Maryland in the B1G, I think the ACC may still quietly make a play at PSU and ND (football), or PSU with Uconn/Cinci/WVU in the next couple years.

I think the chance of PSU leaving the B1G is slim to none, but until the B1G GORs is signed PSU is not officially off the table and people in the Pittsburgh/PSU area will continue to discuss PSU to the ACC as a possibility. I do not expect the ACC to make any moves that do not include ND (football), PSU, or Texas until the new B1G GOR is in place, so basically I do not expect any moves for a couple years.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If Pitt sank into the earth tomorrow, Notre Dame would never notice that they're gone.

Every Big Ten school has granted their rights to the Big Ten Network. There is no chance Penn State will leave the Big Ten for a lesser conference for less money and weaker football - and now that Maryland and Rutgers are in the Big Ten, it's not even worth discussing.

Reaction Score
I do not think that the ACC brought Pitt into the fold to entice ND to join the conference, but any association with ND is good and Pitt does have a decent rivalry going with ND. Only a few teams have played ND more than Pitt in the last 40-50 years. It did not hurt Pitt to have a home game against ND every other year for the ACC/ESPN to broadcast. I do not think ND played much of a factor at all in Syracuse getting an invite, but Cuse also had ND on their future schedules.

And I agree with UConnJim. When it was first announced that Pitt was going to the ACC, newspapers and blogs in Pittsburgh swirled with the idea of PSU leaving the B1G for the ACC (and maybe even WVU although unrealistic). The basis was that the B1G GOR was soon to end, and PSU may want to look for a fresh start in another conference. PSU could use moving to the ACC as a way of closing the chapter on the Paterno/scandel era. I think the ACC was definitely going to make a play at PSU with Rutgers. That was the pipe dream end game for the ACC. With Rutgers and Maryland in the B1G, I think the ACC may still quietly make a play at PSU and ND (football), or PSU with Uconn/Cinci/WVU in the next couple years.

I think the chance of PSU leaving the B1G is slim to none, but until the B1G GORs is signed PSU is not officially off the table and people in the Pittsburgh/PSU area will continue to discuss PSU to the ACC as a possibility. I do not expect the ACC to make any moves that do not include ND (football), PSU, or Texas until the new B1G GOR is in place, so basically I do not expect any moves for a couple years.

PSU was never leaving the B1G for the ACC. It's inexplicable that you agree with Jim on this.

Reaction Score
PSU was never leaving the B1G. There may be a few fans that wished for the ACC, but they didn't pay the bills or help the academic side of PSU.

Why would PSU think about giving up its ownership in the BTN for a slice of the ACC pie which is smaller. While some of the ACC schools are like institutions, not all are(Wake, BCU, Cuse, Duke). Academically PSU is where it belongs. Now with RU and UMd, there is a solid foothold on the coast that Cuse and BCU can not compete with.

Some people might think Swafford's GOR was one upping the B1G. The reality is it was a move made necessary by the B1G taking the NYC to DC out of the ACC.

Reaction Score
To the extent that the selection of Louisville over UConn most likely "saved" the ACC I can't argue with the pick. UConn is in a far better market, has far better academics and has a far better future than Louisville but all of that would have been for naught if the ACC collapsed. I think it says a lot about perception and how reluctant some administrators are to look past the length of their nose.

From an old article but still relevant to how Jim Delany and the B1G look at expansion and how the advantages (academics and market) you mentioned with respect to UCONN make it worthwhile for UCONN to keep trying for an invitation to the B1G even though expansion seems to be on hold at this time.
"Whether it takes six months, 12 months or 18 months, hopefully we'll do it in a way that feels comfortable," Delany said. "You're not trying to find somebody you want to spend a year with. You're trying to find out who you are going to be (with) for the next 25-50 years."
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...leagues-that-expansion-is-not-on-fast-track/1

Reaction Score
basically, if Louisville had kragthorpe still Uconn would be in the ACC? or if Uconn hired a real coach when Edsall left, Uconn might be in the ACC?

No. They would have come up with some other reason for public consumption.

Reaction Score
@DanWolken: Thank goodness for Delany. Someone has to keep the West Virginia bloggers in business.

One could argue the BY as well...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
@DanWolken: Thank goodness for Delany. Someone has to keep the West Virginia bloggers in business.

One could argue the BY as well...

Unlike WVU, we take no joy in this, we do this out of necessity.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Unlike WVU, we take no joy in this, we do this out of necessity.

well that and desperation.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
What would possibly be the point of BYU joining for football-only only? I don't see why that restriction would work for either party - if football is in the Big 12, it makes sense to bring them in for all sports.

But in any event, he has about as good a track record as the West Virginia crew.

Reaction Score
What would possibly be the point of BYU joining for football-only only? I don't see why that restriction would work for either party - if football is in the Big 12, it makes sense to bring them in for all sports.

But in any event, he has about as good a track record as the West Virginia crew.

Exactly. As I recall he was the one that stated UNC to the SEC and Miami to the Big 12 were a done deal.

Reaction Score
You can almost be guaranteed that future expansion will involve brands and content that is watchable. Basketball now has value as evidenced by the Big East contract. UConn and Cincy are on deck, in that order. I don't think UConn can be passed over again by clear thinking people. We are kind of like a great player that slips in the draft. Eventually, someone like Jerry West smiles knowingly and pulls the trigger, then cackles menacingly.

Reaction Score
You can almost be guaranteed that future expansion will involve brands and content that is watchable. Basketball now has value as evidenced by the Big East contract. UConn and Cincy are on deck, in that order. I don't think UConn can be passed over again by clear thinking people. We are kind of like a great player that slips in the draft. Eventually, someone like Jerry West smiles knowingly and pulls the trigger, then cackles menacingly.

Don't think UConn can get passed by again? Think again. Also do we know the Big East contract has been finalized?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom