Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 33 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

U

UConn9604

I still get fired up with Hathoway every time I look at those numbers. Could he have butchered what should have been a wonderful opprtunity any worse? :mad:

This is something I don't understand: if we bought these tickets, each of which was going to turn into a pumpkin after the game (like Randy himself, but that's neither here nor there), why not offer them to students, gratis? If a loss is a loss, why not make something good of it?

I'm not talking about handing them out outside of the Student Union -- I'm saying, stop by the UConn table outside Gate to pick up your free tickets. I don't understand why, knowing we'd likely take it in the shorts, we didn't give tickets out to the people who could make an experience out of the trip.

Reaction Score
That's a $1.8M gap between the two figures though...

What you need to take into account though is that UConn had to purchase two sets of tickets, one for the Fiesta Bowl and one for the championship game. Because of the CG, the teams that didn't make it but whose fans bought tix in the expectations of making it, then flooded the market with ultra-cheap tix to the Fiesta Bowl. The school, meanwhile, sold tix in travel packages. The costs for the package was astronomical. That's why only 3k fans purchased the package, but if you look at the pictures of the field and stands (many fans here have posted those) it looks like at least 10k were there.

Reaction Score
This is something I don't understand: if we bought these tickets, each of which was going to turn into a pumpkin after the game (like Randy himself, but that's neither here nor there), why not offer them to students, gratis? If a loss is a loss, why not make something good of it?

I'm not talking about handing them out outside of the Student Union -- I'm saying, stop by the UConn table outside Gate to pick up your free tickets. I don't understand why, knowing we'd likely take it in the shorts, we didn't give tickets out to the people who could make an experience out of the trip.

Because if you do, you're going to have problems. You'll crater the market and be left to pay out a huge amount.

The big mistake was transportation. They should have gotten rid of those travel packages tied to the tickets. And they should have sent students on buses out there with stops along the way.

Reaction Score
Because if you do, you're going to have two separate problems. One, you're crater the market and be left to pay out a huge amount. Two, they also had to sell tix to the NC game a week after because the Fiesta Bowl forced schools to buy 2 sets of tix, 17,500 for the Fiesta and 17,500 for the championship. If you start giving them away, then you have to pay for both games.

Lastly, the big mistake was transportation. They should have gotten rid of those travel packages tied to the tickets. And they should have sent students on buses out there with stops along the way.
This is the first I'm hearing that Uconn was expected to sell 35K . any support on that?
Could be true, never heard it explained like that. If it is, want to make sure I have the facts.
Can't tell you how many times I have tried to explain that the figure thrown out don't reflect the actual # of uconn fans at the game. And that Uconn's packages were well above market price.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

If you start giving them away, then who's going to pay for them.

U

UConn9604

If you start giving them away, then who's going to pay for them.

I was talking about for the students only, and for the tickets that no one was willing to pay for. I paid for mine, but I would have had no problem if instead of eating a loss and getting nothing in return, we ate the loss and gave something to the students.

Reaction Score
This is the first I'm hearing that Uconn was expected to sell 35K . any support on that?
Could be true, never heard it explained like that. If it is, want to make sure I have the facts.
Can't tell you how many times I have tried to explain that the figure thrown out don't reflect the actual # of uconn fans at the game. And that Uconn's packages were well above market price.

I screwed this up badly. This isn't what happened. What happened was this: the fans who purchased tix to the CG had to also purchase tix not only to the Fiesta Bowl, but also the Insight bowl. So, fans who were going to the CG were dumping tix for the Fiesta for $20 while UConn was selling them for $200. Somehow I got confused between who was forced to buy the extra tix and who wasn't.

By the way, here's one reason that Oklahoma was not going to flop in that game like so many big schools flop:
Oklahoma (12-2) carried plenty of BCS baggage after losing three straight title games and two Fiesta Bowls.

Reaction Score
Apparently, when you count player families and tix for corporate donors, the figures UConn "sold" were 4,700. That's 1,900 more than were bought by people outside the donor/player families.

So, we can say that 50% of the UConn fans who showed up for the game didn't get tickets from UConn's 17,500.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I was talking about for the students only, and for the tickets that no one was willing to pay for. I paid for mine, but I would have had no problem if instead of eating a loss and getting nothing in return, we ate the loss and gave something to the students.
Maybe they should make all student tickets free for big BCS/playoff bowl games (season ticket holders get first priority, then first come first serve). The biggest issue for students though is travel costs though. I remember buying final four tickets in 99 and the student prices were only like $150-200 for a pair for all 3 games. We all caravan-ed down and packed em in to hotels. One of my best experiences as a student. Plus my friend and I had an extra pair of tickets that we sold for $$$$$$.

Reaction Score
Huh?

$1.663,560 UConn
-$840,000 UF
$823,560 (not chump change but...)

I was referring to the ticket sales side :

The document shows that UConn was required to purchase $3,349,835 worth of tickets but realized only $676,248 from ticket sales. So the school was out $2,673,587 on ticket sales alone.
It was revealed at the UAA's annual budget meeting Wednesday that UF lost about $840,000 on the Sugar Bowl, mostly due to unsold tickets.

Reaction Score
I screwed this up badly. This isn't what happened. What happened was this: the fans who purchased tix to the CG had to also purchase tix not only to the Fiesta Bowl, but also the Insight bowl. So, fans who were going to the CG were dumping tix for the Fiesta for $20 while UConn was selling them for $200. Somehow I got confused between who was forced to buy the extra tix and who wasn't.

By the way, here's one reason that Oklahoma was not going to flop in that game like so many big schools flop:

Why would the school be required to buy tickets to two different bowls? It's not like a school can send teams to both sites.

Are you saying that UConn FANs bought early tickets to both because they weren't sure which bowl UConn would be in and wanted to beat the markup prices and later didn't have the money to buy tickets to Fiesta? That happens all the time though to others teams too - that's not a UConn only situation.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
It's 40 hours+ without stops???? That would have been painful.

We got hosed by location... I'm convinced it would have been much better if in Miami. That's a little over 20 hours without stops and doable. NIU did it for their Bowl game this year (just about equal distance).

http://espn.go.com/chicago/college-...is-offering-students-free-orange-bowl-tickets

They're college kids! I did more in the back of a UHaul traveling for Rugby. Heck, I made the mistake of taking the train from Buffalo to Philly last year (20+ hours ugh!)

Reaction Score
Why would the school be required to buy tickets to two different bowls? It's not like a school can send teams to both sites.

Are you saying that UConn FANs bought early tickets to both because they weren't sure which bowl UConn would be in and wanted to beat the markup prices and later didn't have the money to buy tickets to Fiesta? That happens all the time though to others teams too - that's not a UConn only situation.

It's how the bowls do it. They required the fans who wanted championship game tix to buy them not only for 2 bowls but for 3. You had to buy additional tix for both the Fiesta AND the Insight. That's why tix for the Fiesta were cheap and going for next to nothing.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
You guys are killing me. Updates to key Tweets thread are solely for adrenaline shots of delusional hope. When I see that alert bubble and come here to see the same drab going on in 10 other threads on this board its a severe disappointment. Now scram. Come back when the Dude says were going to the Pac.

Reaction Score
Huh?

This is what I wrote:

You brought up the ticket bundling example to explain the large shortfall that UConn had the year they made it into the Fiesta bowl.

From the articles I can see that ticket bundle was from the bowl organizers' allotment who sold pre-season to local fans banking on their teams making it in who later dumped them. This happens every year for all the BCS games, so this is not a unique situation. Florida, ND, Alabama, etc. all face the same situation every year.

Reaction Score
You brought up the ticket bundling example to explain the large shortfall that UConn had the year they made it into the Fiesta bowl.

From the articles I can see that ticket bundle was from the bowl organizers' allotment who sold pre-season to local fans banking on their teams making it in who later dumped them. This happens every year for all the BCS games, so this is not a unique situation. Florida, ND, Alabama, etc. all face the same situation every year.

You're missing something in my post.

What I said was the CG ticket buyers were forced to buy tickets to the Fiesta Bowl and the Insight bowl. This is totally different than local fans buying tickets preseason to the game (which would be a limited amount). This is about people wanting to get their hands on championship game tickets a couple weeks before the game, and then being forced to buy tickets for two bowls which are played weeks earlier!

Reaction Score
You guys are killing me. Updates to key Tweets thread are solely for adrenaline shots of delusional hope. When I see that alert bubble and come here to see the same drab going on in 10 other threads on this board its a severe disappointment. Now scram. Come back when the Dude says were going to the Pac.

Second

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Third.

Key tweets, people. Key tweets! (yes, yes, I understand that it is an oxymoron, but so am I...)

Reaction Score
Fine - I'll get this thread back on track(?)... (I actually deleted my continuation of the prior conversation)

Edit: Bah - formatting sucks and this is better for the Non-key tweets thread anyway. Sorry.

Reaction Score
Dennis Dodd@dennisdoddcbs3h
More Delany, less filling (than Bowlsby) today but Division 4 is coming folks.

Reaction Score
Matt Hayes @Matt_HayesSN4h
Delany just said, "Among the five of us (commissioners)..." If that doesn't explain separation between have and have nots, what does?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Looking at Delany's 4 point plan, unless it's a complete sham, I don't see SEC schools accepting the academic proposals about at risk freshman and the 20 hour rule. The educational trust and the the Title IX implications will drive up costs for all schools or lead to more schools cutting teams so they can maintain Title IX compliance.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Looking at Delany's 4 point plan, unless it's a complete sham, I don't see SEC schools accepting the academic proposals about at risk freshman and the 20 hour rule. The educational trust and the the Title IX implications will drive up costs for all schools or lead to more schools cutting teams so they can maintain Title IX compliance.

He meant allowing non-qualifer scholarships and more than 20 contact hours. The SEC would be all for that. Plus, the eternal scholarship option allows them to forget all this APR nonsense.

They want to give a full ride to a remedial student, work him 40 hrs a week for FB, let him go pro, play 5 yrs in the NFL, then come back to study once you blow out a knee? Yes, absolutely

The AAC and the MWC only get in the group if they need their presidential votes to split. Otherwise it's everyone for themselves. A few schools with the right athletic metrics will be allowed to join as independents. A conference invite is not guaranteed.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom