Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 32 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

pj

Reaction Score
What would possibly be the point of BYU joining for football-only only? I don't see why that restriction would work for either party - if football is in the Big 12, it makes sense to bring them in for all sports.

But in any event, he has about as good a track record as the West Virginia crew.

Last B12 - BYU go-round, Fox's requirement of Sunday play in basketball killed the deal. Football isn't played on Sunday, so that gets around BYU's religious restriction.

If #12 is also football only, Cincinnati would make sense, but if it is all sports, they may want UConn basketball.

Reaction Score
Don't think UConn can get passed by again? Think again. Also do we know the Big East contract has been finalized?
Tuxedo Yoda@TuxedoYoda14 May
@ElziePryor25 Fox wants the B12 to bring on UCF & USF. Some in the Big 12 like BYU & Boise St to get to a conf title game. WVU wants Cinci.

Reaction Score
I feel you hoop hound. I'm just sure they'll be something. Maybe it will be the new helmets v that will keep us from getting picked next time.

Reaction Score
@ElziePryor25 Fox wants the B12 to bring on UCF & USF. Some in the Big 12 like BYU & Boise St to get to a conf title game. WVU wants Cinci.
This post could only mean one thing. Were going to the big 12.

Reaction Score

If either of these rumors came to fruition, it would mean one thing. The Big 12 will not last as a conference past the current GORs. No way Texas and Oklahoma are staying in a conference with the likes of BYU, Boise St., USF, and UCF for the long term.

Reaction Score
If either of these rumors came to fruition, it would mean one thing. The Big 12 will not last as a conference past the current GORs. No way Texas and Oklahoma are staying in a conference with the likes of BYU, Boise St., USF, and UCF for the long term.

I can see BYU in the XII as they have a solid athletic program and would add some academic weight to the conference without threatening UT. The rest, such as USF and UCF, not a chance. UT will be in the PAC, SEC or B1G before that ever happens.
As for WVU, they really want Pitt with them. Outside of that choice, anyone east of the Mississippi would be of interest.

Reaction Score
I can see BYU in the XII as they have a solid athletic program and would add some academic weight to the conference without threatening UT. The rest, such as USF and UCF, not a chance. UT will be in the PAC, SEC or B1G before that ever happens.
As for WVU, they really want Pitt with them. Outside of that choice, anyone east of the Mississippi would be of interest.

BYU? Academic weight? You're joking. I would seriously send my child to Southern before BYU. The place is anti-intellectual. You get promoted there if you promise NOT to do research or publish, and doing research or getting published is frequently groudns for expulsion. I can't think of a worse school. It's rep is entirely a product of very smart Mormon kids with high SAT scores attending, but the faculty are bottom of the barrel.

Reaction Score
JFowlerCBS 12:34pm via Web
Big 12 announces rev share of $198 million, which doesn't include third-tier rights or ESPN signing bonus. And WVU/TCU still on pct share

JFowlerCBS 12:36pm via Web
WVU and TCU getting half-shares gives the other eight schools another roughly $2 million. Puts them at around $22 million

jonsol 1:49pm via web
SEC announces $289.4 million distributed to schools. Average of $20.7 million.

jonsol 2:02pm via web
Slive on $289.4 million revenue amount: "Remember we're dividing by 14, so that's a pretty healthy number."

Reaction Score
BYU? Academic weight? You're joking. I would seriously send my child to Southern before BYU. The place is anti-intellectual. You get promoted there if you promise NOT to do research or publish, and doing research or getting published is frequently groudns for expulsion. I can't think of a worse school. It's rep is entirely a product of very smart Mormon kids with high SAT scores attending, but the faculty are bottom of the barrel.

I have no first hand experience with BYU or any school in Texas; but, BYU based on second-hand talk and the magazine rankings, is higher ranked that most of the XII schools outside of UT.

Reaction Score
I have no first hand experience with BYU or any school in Texas; but, BYU based on second-hand talk and the magazine rankings, is higher ranked that most of the XII schools outside of UT.

A lot of the perception of BYU is based on censures by professional organizations, and the disposition of lawsuits regarding academic freedom. In other words, not rumors. USNews rankings are problematic, as they are based on the school's metrics. I have no doubt there are lots of very smart Mormon students there. But to banish professors for conducting research o for publishing seems to be against the spirit of education.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Like the Big 12 gives a damn about academics. They care about football - if they would play some defense I could get into it.

Reaction Score
Like the Big 12 gives a damn about academics. They care about football - if they would play some defense I could get into it.

Concur, except for U Texas. They are proud of their rankings and while Football is their #1 public priority, the academic strength of UT in science, engineering, tech and medicine is a major economic driver for Austin and to a lesser extent the rest of Texas.

pj

Reaction Score
Pretty sure Kansas cares about academics too.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The schools do. The league doesn't. They invited West Virginia... Pretty much shows you.

Reaction Score
The schools do. The league doesn't. They invited West Virginia... Pretty much shows you.

I think too much is made about academics and athletic conferences. The only league, where this matters a little bit is the Big 10, and they were seriously contemplating Florida State reportedly. The ACC invited Louisville, which is worst than WVU reportedly, can they still claim to care about academics? Its all horse really.

Reaction Score
I am wondering out loud here.

Why is it taking so long for the Maryland Judge to make a ruling?
If the GOR for the ACC is not truly set until the next year(supposedly July 1st) are they going to drag there feet to absolutely make sure nothing is decided with Maryland before that date?

Isn't that one of the bylaw issues Maryland is fighting over? Implementing something prior to the next year?

They could say it was approved, but they would know it isn't binding until the new year.

Reaction Score
I am wondering out loud here.

Why is it taking so long for the Maryland Judge to make a ruling?
If the GOR for the ACC is not truly set until the next year(supposedly July 1st) are they going to drag there feet to absolutely make sure nothing is decided with Maryland before that date?

Isn't that one of the bylaw issues Maryland is fighting over? Implementing something prior to the next year?

They could say it was approved, but they would know it isn't binding until the new year.
Unfortunately, depending on the Judge's docket a decision could take months. Courts do not move exceptionally swift in making decisions, and with a higher profile case, such as the two suits involving the ACC and UMD, the Judge likely will take longer to make his or her decision. I wouldn't expect any answers to the legal questions everyone is following for awhile.

It will be interesting as these cases move along though. I can't wait to read the discovery responses when they are made public.

Reaction Score
If Maryland's argument that the higher exit fee was not in effect until the next year because of the bylaws it correct than the GOR wouldn't be in effect until the next year either.

The ACC could have voted and it could have passed, but it wouldn't be in effect yet. They could announce that it passed making everyone feel cozy.

Again, just thinking out loud.

Reaction Score
PS – Remember when one of the key criteria why UConn did not get an ACC invite last time around was because of the Huskies poor performance on the field and poor ticket sales in the Fiesta Bowl against Oklahoma?
Playing on New Year's Day on national TV in a major bowl game, long the goal of any big-time football program, sounds like a moneymaker. But with the exposure and prestige comes the harsh reality of the bowl culture. Schools lose money in large part because they are forced to sell millions of dollars worth of tickets and have to absorb the losses if they do not.
The University of Connecticut lost $1,663,560 in its Bowl Championship Series game loss to Oklahoma on Jan.1, according to Mike Enright, associate athletic director for communications. The Huskies, like other Division I-A schools, had to file a report to the NCAA by March 1. The document shows that UConn was required to purchase $3,349,835 worth of tickets but realized only $676,248 from ticket sales. So the school was out $2,673,587 on ticket sales alone.
So, after reading the below news about Florida, which is an unquestioned football power, does that mean they should be uninvited from the SEC?
Gators took nearly $1M loss on Sugar Bowl
From a couple of perspectives, the Sugar Bowl wound up being bittersweet for the University of Florida. Falling to Charlie Strong and Louisville in New Orleans on Jan. 2 wasn't the only loss. ... The Gators also came out on the losing end financially because the school fell well short of selling its required allotment of 17,500 tickets. It was revealed at the UAA's annual budget meeting Wednesday that UF lost about $840,000 on the Sugar Bowl, mostly due to unsold tickets. UF was one of several SEC schools that took a loss on bowl ticket sales this past year, something that the league addressed at its annual spring meetings in Destin last month. Commissioner Mike Slive said the SEC will be pushing for a lower minimum number of tickets.
Only good news here is that because this is Florida and the SEC, maybe the entire Bowl ticket allocation system, which reminds me of a mob shake-down, will finally be changed.

Reaction Score
I still get fired up with Hathoway every time I look at those numbers. Could he have butchered what should have been a wonderful opprtunity any worse? :mad:

Reaction Score
That's a $1.8M gap between the two figures though...

Maybe, but travelling from Florida to New Orleans, which you can do by car is much different from having to fly from Bradley to Phoenix.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom