Javonte Brown enters transfer portal | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Javonte Brown enters transfer portal

Reaction Score
People are acting like this kid is replaceable, it opens up another scholarship slot, blah blah blah. He's ONE SEMESTER into his time at UCONN and already he transfers? This IMO is a shot to the coaching staff and Hurley's program building effort more than anything. He CANNOT afford to go through the same garbage Ollie did with kids fleeing at the first sign of challenges. Cannot happen, at least not until he's got some pelts on the wall here. This is bad news.....four star freshmam seven footers don't grow on trees. Comparatively, Auriemma had put up 11 national titles when he lost the guts of his squad to the portal these past couple years. Then you can say 'it's a culture thing', because Auriemma has had proven success at this level. Not so with DH. He's still very, very much in the 'POC' phase for a major program.

Were I him, I'd be moving heaven and earth to get Javonte Brown Ferguson to stick around. But that's just me I'm sure most others will disagree because 'Whalley and Carlton might be coming back' or some such nonsense.
What could Hurley have promised him so he would have stayed?

Reaction Score
People are acting like this kid is replaceable, it opens up another scholarship slot, blah blah blah. He's ONE SEMESTER into his time at UCONN and already he transfers? This IMO is a shot to the coaching staff and Hurley's program building effort more than anything. He CANNOT afford to go through the same garbage Ollie did with kids fleeing at the first sign of challenges. Cannot happen, at least not until he's got some pelts on the wall here. This is bad news.....four star freshmam seven footers don't grow on trees. Comparatively, Auriemma had put up 11 national titles when he lost the guts of his squad to the portal these past couple years. Then you can say 'it's a culture thing', because Auriemma has had proven success at this level. Not so with DH. He's still very, very much in the 'POC' phase for a major program.

Were I him, I'd be moving heaven and earth to get Javonte Brown Ferguson to stick around. But that's just me I'm sure most others will disagree because 'Whalley and Carlton might be coming back' or some such nonsense.
lol wow. There's like 700 transfers every year now. You might be a little too worked up about this.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Kids like Josh and Isaiah deserve so much appreciation after hearing this. IW wasn't getting much playing time early on in his career, stayed and got allot better. Josh could have transferred multiple times in his career and there he was playing angry as a backup senior vs DePaul after getting a DNP early on.

Reaction Score
I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to be a pretty young freshman on a team with a bunch of upperclassmen getting no playing time and living away from home for the first time during a pandemic that basically prevents you from interacting with other human beings or having any sort of college experience. Like I said before, I'm surprised he doesn't see things for what they are: he's young, he's raw, he's got plenty of time to get on the court as he matures / improves. Frankly, I assumed he had internalized the idea that he wasn't going to play much this year. But I won't second guess his decision.

Reaction Score

Take a deep breath and relax

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score

The more you read this, the funnier it gets

Reaction Score
I would be surprised if there was blanket extension of eligibility for winter sports.

It’s not needed.

As for Brown, seems shortsighted, but whatever. I forgot he was on the team.
How do you think they'll handle it? Really puts coaches in a tough position. With whatever the NCAA decides to do.

Reaction Score
How do you think they'll handle it? Really puts coaches in a tough position. With whatever the NCAA decides to do.
it's been handled, no?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/10/14/ncaa-winter-sports-extra-eligibility/
"The NCAA’s Division I Council voted to give eligibility relief to winter-sport athletes regardless of how many games they play during the 2020-21 academic year. Athletes now have the opportunity to play five seasons within a six-year span rather than the typical four seasons in five years."

Reaction Score

The coach who recruited him isnt even here anymore, step away from the ledge dude.

Reaction Score
it's been handled, no?
We were both talking about how they handle the scholarship limits next year if players decide to come back for a 5th year. Look at the thread @tcf15 posted on the subject. The NCAA hasn't announced how they're going to handle it.

Reaction Score

Hard to calculate how much hot sauce this dude gotta drank now

Excuse Me What GIF by One Chicago

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Total speculation, but Lance Ware does not seem to be fitting at UK right now and I have a feeling he'll transfer. NJ guy that I think Hurley could reach out to.
Another stretch 4? I think we need guard depth and shooting. We’ll have 2 senior guards next year, Gaffney hasn’t looked great, Hawkins is like 6’6 now he’ll likely play a bunch of minutes at the 3. How about a top 100 2021 guard who can shoot like Jaylen Blakes in the late period?

Reaction Score
We were both talking about how they handle the scholarship limits next year if players decide to come back for a 5th year. Look at the thread @tcf15 posted on the subject. The NCAA hasn't announced how they're going to handle it.
fishy said "I would be surprised if there was blanket extension of eligibility for winter sports." that's what i was responding to. while related that is not the same issue as the scholarship limit.

Reaction Score
Another stretch 4? I think we need guard depth and shooting. We’ll have 2 senior guards next year, Gaffney hasn’t looked great, Hawkins is like 6’6 now he’ll likely play a bunch of minutes at the 3. How about a top 100 2021 guard who can shoot like Jaylen Blakes in the late period?
i agree another 4 is not the answer but another combo guard isnt either. samson weighs a whopping 205 lbs which is skinnier than akok. we need another C to backup sanogo.

Reaction Score

Who hurt you, friend?

Reaction Score
i agree another 4 is not the answer but another combo gaurd isnt either. samson weighs a whopping 205 lbs which is skinnier than akok. we need another C to backup sanogo.
Does anyone know what role Springs will play (4? 5? 4/5?)? I'd imagine the answer to that would really steer the decision on a replacement for Javonte's spot.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know what role Springs will play (4? 5? 4/5?)? I'd imagine the answer to that would really steer the decision on a replacement for Javonte's spot.
From The Athletic:

Springs says he played the three when he was younger, and he’d love to expand his game to be able to play the four and five positions as well. When it comes to his perimeter game, he’s looking to prove himself as a capable option.

BParkDog

I will see number 5.
Reaction Score
This IMO is a shot to the coaching staff and Hurley's program building effort more than anything. He CANNOT afford to go through the same garbage Ollie did with kids fleeing at the first sign of challenges.
The kids left Ollie because there was not enough coaching and they were close enough to the dying corpse of the program to smell the stench and flee.
Brown is probably leaving because there is not enough playing time. That is not a demerit for either Hurley or the program. It is, quite the contrary, a sign that Hurley is tearing it up. It's a sign, as it were, of a thriving program.

Reaction Score
How does scholarship situation change if any of the seniors exercise their extra year
Polley coming back is not expected to count towards the 13 scholarship limit. It would

+
So what you want is for college basketball as a whole to go back to what it was in the 90s, as opposed to what it has become. Good luck with that.

Reaction Score
I thought Springs would transfer first. I think it’s strictly a playing time issue.
Yeah. But both Whaley and Carlton are seniors. And Sanago is looking to go pro after soph year. And no incoming recruit is a center.

So isn’t there a lot of PT to be had after this year?

Reaction Score
i agree another 4 is not the answer but another combo guard isnt either. samson weighs a whopping 205 lbs which is skinnier than akok. we need another C to backup sanogo.
Clingan decision/timeline has to play into this.. Dereck Lively ..Westtown C.. Not a bad Plan B..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom