Javonte Brown enters transfer portal | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Javonte Brown enters transfer portal

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Kids are so impatient these days. Everyone wants everything right now. Oh well, good luck to him.
Yup. I know, I know, times are different, but not necessarily better. If guys like Bialosuknia and Corley didn’t have a freshman team would they have accepted a fair amount of bench time as Freshmen for a veteran team or would they even have considered UConn? I actually hope it wasn’t a playing time issue for JB. In his brief appearances he looked like and agile jumper.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The NCAA already approved it for fall sports:

"The NCAA's announcement said seniors student-athletes who take advantage of the additional year of eligibility will not count against team scholarship limits in 2021-22."

Wow. That is a crazy rule really that vastly favors teams with several seniors.

Reaction Score
With James likely gone too we can plan for 2 open spots. I really don’t want to force a freshman project, we got our guys let’s move on. I also wouldn’t want a grad transfer either.

So I really do hope 1-2 of the seniors tail along for another year.

As far as c/o22 goes, we probably are targeting Clingan, Floyd, and Williams as the 3 guys.

However, we would have 5+ departures, unless Cole, Adams, Martin elect to stay(I believe they have another year too)

We’ll have some real nice impact players off the bench. Hopefully someone steps into the star player role. Maybe Hawkins, or Cole or even a big man.

Reaction Score
Can someone take his scholarship for the rest of this season? Maybe a combo guard looking for a new home ? Lil Sool wanna come early ?

Reaction Score
Sorry if this has been mentioned... but how would Whaley/Carlton/Polley be able to return?

My god this would be amazing...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
we could be one of those teams but it's up to polley/whaley/carlton

Do they need to stay at the same school? I would think some of these guys could either finish degrees if they have not, or go to a school with more minutes and start grad school.

Reaction Score
With James likely gone too we can plan for 2 open spots. I really don’t want to force a freshman project, we got our guys let’s move on. I also wouldn’t want a grad transfer either.

So I really do hope 1-2 of the seniors tail along for another year.
why no grad transfer? if whaley/carlton do both leave then we really need C depth behind sanogo and the only way to address that without impacting clingan's recruitment is with a grad transfer
Do they need to stay at the same school? I would think some of these guys could either finish degrees if they have not, or go to a school with more minutes and start grad school.
yes they could transfer

ElmCity40th

F…y’all talkin bout?
Reaction Score
No disrespect to the kid but get him out of here. We’re only 6 games into this unorthodox season and you a freshmen want to transfer? Don’t need him.

Reaction Score
Not enough playing time to go around is a good problem to have. I wish Brown the best and believe he will become a good player. UConn has a number of players that know they may not get lots of minutes each game but need to be prepared regardless. We will need more players that are willing to accept this as we keep upgrading overall team talent.

Reaction Score
Does he get to play spring 2022? If yes, this may be a pretty smart move by the kid. Vs waiting to the end of this year to enter transfer pool. He'll get to play most of next year.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I would be surprised if there was blanket extension of eligibility for winter sports.

It’s not needed.

As for Brown, seems shortsighted, but whatever. I forgot he was on the team.

Reaction Score
I would be surprised if there was blanket extension of eligibility for winter sports.
are we all talking about the same thing? i thought this was a done deal and the only rule yet to be passed was the permanent one time transfer exception rule this summer, which is meant to work in tandem with the 6 years of eligibility rule (below) and the immediate transfer exception rule implemented for this season only

"The NCAA’s Division I Council voted to give eligibility relief to winter-sport athletes regardless of how many games they play during the 2020-21 academic year. Athletes now have the opportunity to play five seasons within a six-year span rather than the typical four seasons in five years."

Last edited:

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Javonte Brown Ferguson has a ton of potential but a long way to go to realize it... like 2 years plus. Given our recruiting targets, if I were him I’d be wondering too when I’m likely to get the minutes on the floor to make the strides needed.

As awesome as it would’ve been to watch him transform into a great player here, he probably has a much better shot at becoming great somewhere with a thinner roster. Prospects like him often wither and die on the bench of top programs loaded with talent, which we’re not too far off from and may get back to before he graduates, without ever getting a real shot.

Reaction Score
People are acting like this kid is replaceable, it opens up another scholarship slot, blah blah blah. He's ONE SEMESTER into his time at UCONN and already he transfers? This IMO is a shot to the coaching staff and Hurley's program building effort more than anything. He CANNOT afford to go through the same garbage Ollie did with kids fleeing at the first sign of challenges. Cannot happen, at least not until he's got some pelts on the wall here. This is bad news.....four star freshmam seven footers don't grow on trees. Comparatively, Auriemma had put up 11 national titles when he lost the guts of his squad to the portal these past couple years. Then you can say 'it's a culture thing', because Auriemma has had proven success at this level. Not so with DH. He's still very, very much in the 'POC' phase for a major program.

Were I him, I'd be moving heaven and earth to get Javonte Brown Ferguson to stick around. But that's just me I'm sure most others will disagree because 'Whalley and Carlton might be coming back' or some such nonsense.

Reaction Score
Whats wrong with getting a free masters degree?

Sounds like a good deal to me in you cant make the league
Maybe you play the extra year, improve your play, get the free masters, and do make a league after you then get your masters?

If your masters is in Sports Psychology, you know how to motivate your fellow benchmates while you are all sitting on the bench in a pro league somewhere.

Reaction Score
People are acting like this kid is replaceable, it opens up another scholarship slot, blah blah blah. He's ONE SEMESTER into his time at UCONN and already he transfers? This IMO is a shot to the coaching staff and Hurley's program building effort more than anything. He CANNOT afford to go through the same garbage Ollie did with kids fleeing at the first sign of challenges. Cannot happen, at least not until he's got some pelts on the wall here. This is bad news.....four star freshmam seven footers don't grow on trees. Comparatively, Auriemma had put up 11 national titles when he lost the guts of his squad to the portal these past couple years. Then you can say 'it's a culture thing', because Auriemma has had proven success at this level. Not so with DH. He's still very, very much in the 'POC' phase for a major program.

Were I him, I'd be moving heaven and earth to get Javonte Brown Ferguson to stick around. But that's just me I'm sure most others will disagree because 'Whalley and Carlton might be coming back' or some such nonsense.
Joe Biden Reaction GIF by Election 2020

Reaction Score
But that's just me I'm sure most others will disagree because 'Whalley and Carlton might be coming back' or some such nonsense.
it is just you but the nonsense is in thinking this is a negative reflection of hurley's culture. where have you been the past 3 years? he's completely rebuilt the culture in his own image and the positive results speak for themselves.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom