Javonte Brown enters transfer portal | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Javonte Brown enters transfer portal

Reaction Score
No real surprise here. Can't blame the kid for wanting to go where more minutes are available. I think eventually he will be a very good college player, but he wasn't going to get much of a chance here with all the guys in front of him.

Reaction Score
Since the team is on the road, is he staying with the team still or traveling back on his own?
Seems like a weird time to make a transfer decision in the middle of a 3 game road trip.

Reaction Score
Says he left due to Coach Kenya leaving not playing time. Makes sense given timing since Kenya left so late in cycle it pinned JB in a tough spot.

@Rich got pretty hammered for his post. Considering a major issue of the KO era was the decay of our bigs. And our ability to recruit size. Losing a 7' Freshman almost as soon as he stepped on campus is interesting. Maybe a bit concerning.

I'd also add that someone commented in this thread that we lost recruits in the KO era for failing to coach them. If you read between the lines of Brown's stated reason for leaving. That's kind of what he's saying. He's leaving because his coach left. I interpret that as failing to coach Brown.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over this, but it should at least raise an eyebrow.

Reaction Score
@Rich got pretty hammered for his post. Considering a major issue of the KO era was the decay of our bigs. And our ability to recruit size. Losing a 7' Freshman almost as soon as he stepped on campus is interesting. Maybe a bit concerning.

I'd also add that someone commented in this thread that we lost recruits in the KO era for failing to coach them. If you read between the lines of Brown's stated reason for leaving. That's kind of what he's saying. He's leaving because his coach left. I interpret that as failing to coach Brown.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over this, but it should at least raise an eyebrow.
Or maybe... just maybe, a kid in an interview said that he almost transferred when the guy who he built a solid relationship left, but decided to give it a try. Realized his heart wasn’t in it here anymore and transferred. I didn’t see anything personally in that article where he even insinuated that there was something the coaching staff did.

also, not for nothing but when he signed, he prob envisioned himself where Adama is at now, before Adama committed

Reaction Score

It's pretty simple. He wasn't getting playing time, and that wasn't likely to change any time soon. I wouldn't read any further into this than that. With Akok coming back, minutes were going to be even harder to come by.

Reaction Score
People are acting like this kid is replaceable, it opens up another scholarship slot, blah blah blah. He's ONE SEMESTER into his time at UCONN and already he transfers? This IMO is a shot to the coaching staff and Hurley's program building effort more than anything. He CANNOT afford to go through the same garbage Ollie did with kids fleeing at the first sign of challenges. Cannot happen, at least not until he's got some pelts on the wall here. This is bad news.....four star freshmam seven footers don't grow on trees. Comparatively, Auriemma had put up 11 national titles when he lost the guts of his squad to the portal these past couple years. Then you can say 'it's a culture thing', because Auriemma has had proven success at this level. Not so with DH. He's still very, very much in the 'POC' phase for a major program.

Were I him, I'd be moving heaven and earth to get Javonte Brown Ferguson to stick around. But that's just me I'm sure most others will disagree because 'Whalley and Carlton might be coming back' or some such nonsense.
So Calhoun never had transfers throughout his tenure?

Reaction Score

When 92% of your roster (including a likely lottery pick, an injured and frustrated freshman, and inherited seniors) bleeds blue and would run through a wall for their coaches, you don’t look at one guy and imagine problems that don’t exist. I never like wasting time on recruits that don’t work out, but I also can’t help but be excited to see who this spot turns into. I wish him well and hope, for his sake, that he finds another spot soon. He was already behind because of the lack of competition in high school, and he has a lot of catching up to do.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Since the team is on the road, is he staying with the team still or traveling back on his own?
Seems like a weird time to make a transfer decision in the middle of a 3 game road trip.

They came back to Storrs late Tuesday night/early Wednesday morning. They’ll stay on the road between the next two games,

Reaction Score
JB just might not have been a great fit here. I'm sure it was Javonte's decision along with his handlers but the staff may not have begged him to stay either.

Reaction Score
Or maybe... just maybe, a kid in an interview said that he almost transferred when the guy who he built a solid relationship left, but decided to give it a try. Realized his heart wasn’t in it here anymore and transferred. I didn’t see anything personally in that article where he even insinuated that there was something the coaching staff did.

also, not for nothing but when he signed, he prob envisioned himself where Adama is at now, before Adama committed
It could be what the coaching staff didn't do. Which is rebuild the same or similar relationship with a different coach. Not saying I agree with this type hand holding. But kids are young and potentially sensitive about fickle stuff.

Anyways, I'm with ya. Can't let one kid dictate the entire program. I'm not too worried about it until it becomes some kind of pattern. As of now it's just one kid.

Reaction Score
They came back to Storrs late Tuesday night/early Wednesday morning. They’ll stay on the road between the next two games,
Guessing they flew into Indy today, then they can take a bus from Indy to Chicago after the game tomorrow. It’s only like a 3 hour-ish drive from there.

We’ve seen plenty of big name players transferring. With looser transfer rules, it lets kids get to a more comfortable situation quicker. I’m all for it. Wish the kid luck, and look forward to seeing how Hurley fills the position.

Reaction Score
I definitely saw that coming. Would be surprised if Springs add his name. Especially when Akok comes back to take more playing time away

Reaction Score

He's back in Canada.

Reaction Score
Sheesh why are people fo anxious and frantic to find a big man? Sanogo is gonna start next year. He might split time if carlton/Whaley return or else we’ll have redshirt junior springs as a backup.
And lest we forget we do not play all that big so I wouldn’t be surprised if Akok or Sampson got time at the 5.

Reaction Score
Sheesh why are people fo anxious and frantic to find a big man? Sanogo is gonna start next year. He might split time if carlton/Whaley return or else we’ll have redshirt junior springs as a backup.
And lest we forget we do not play all that big so I wouldn’t be surprised if Akok or Sampson got time at the 5.
That's my thinking too, I'm a lot more concerned with our wing shooting/scoring next year than our big men

Reaction Score
Wish him the best. Never like to see a guy leave after just a semester but better to do it now if your heart isn't in it.

Will this hurt us? Who knows. Maybe. But he was a low floor/high ceiling guy. we'll find another one.

Reaction Score
Says he left due to Coach Kenya leaving not playing time
glad Hawkins doesnt feel the same way
but if Springs is the only other C on the roster we arent just asking Sanogo to start we are asking for a productive 30 mpg. i have faith he can do that but we'd be putting all our eggs in his basket. we havent seen anything from Springs yet and have no idea what we are getting from samson either next year. by all accounts he sounds like a long term project too. we still have a scholly we can use for a G/W with bouk leaving:

cole-diggins-gaffney
hawkins-adams-???
martin-jackson
akok-johnson
sanogo-springs-???

Last edited:

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
The kids left Ollie because there was not enough coaching and they were close enough to the dying corpse of the program to smell the stench and flee.
Brown is probably leaving because there is not enough playing time. That is not a demerit for either Hurley or the program. It is, quite the contrary, a sign that Hurley is tearing it up. It's a sign, as it were, of a thriving program.
love the dramatization!

Reaction Score
Springs is a red shirt freshman re: eligibility..4 yrs of eligibility going into next year.. And two years of coach Mike and excellent competition in practice

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You take Clingan every day of the week if he wants to come.

Reaction Score
glad Hawkins doesnt feel the same way

but if Springs is the only other C on the roster we arent just asking Sanogo to start we are asking for a productive 30 mpg. i have faith he can do that but we'd be putting all our eggs in his basket. we havent seen anything from Springs yet and have no idea what we are getting from samson either next year. by all accounts he sounds like a long term project too. we still have a scholly we can use for a G/W with bouk leaving:

cole-diggins-gaffney
hawkins-adams-???
martin-jackson
akok-johnson
sanogo-springs-???
Adams still here next year?? Can graduate this year with two years of eligibility.. JHawk coming and Andre healthy

Reaction Score
Yeah. But both Whaley and Carlton are seniors. And Sanago is looking to go pro after soph year. And no incoming recruit is a center.

So isn’t there a lot of PT to be had after this year?
I don’t think Sanago will go pro if it means going to the G League. He certainly has not looked close to an NBA player yet

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom