Javonte Brown enters transfer portal | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Javonte Brown enters transfer portal

Reaction Score
Adams still here next year?? Can graduate this year with two years of eligibility.. JHawk coming
no idea. but if that's the case we have 3 more schollys to fill for 2021. 2 on guards/wings and 1 on a big. point is we still need help at C behind sanogo.

Reaction Score
no idea. but if that's the case we have 3 more schollys to fill for 2021. 2 on guards/wings and 1 on a big. point is we still need help at C behind sanogo.
Bingo

Reaction Score
If it really was sudden like Hurley said, It seems like there was some funny business going on. Maybe Javonte was in fact being poached?

It's not fishy. The kid isn't good enough to play here. We're in the middle of a pandemic and he is far from home. He's barely 18. Totally reasonable transfer.

Reaction Score
It's not fishy. The kid isn't good enough to play here. We're in the middle of a pandemic and he is far from home. He's barely 18. Totally reasonable transfer.
I know, but 6 games into the season when you're a Freshman? I think it's very strange, especially in an unconventional season like this.

Reaction Score
He’s being exceedingly generous with these comments, but I think that’s the role a coach should take here.

What do you think he should say? Kids transfer all the time. I made different decisions when I was 18 then I do now.

Reaction Score
I know, but 6 games into the season when you're a Freshman? I think it's very strange, especially in an unconventional season like this.

He wants to go home before second semester. Makes as much sense as any transfer

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
This only makes sense if Carlton and Whaley both come back.

Did he really expect to play much this year?

Reaction Score
This only makes sense if Carlton and Whaley both come back.

Did he really expect to play much this year?
He said he knew what he was getting into.

According to Brown, the lack of playing time “was pretty disappointing, but it was expected, due to the fact that I was there to develop and learn behind (Isaiah) Whaley and (Josh) Carlton and those guys. It was disappointing, but I knew what I was getting into.”

Free access:

Reaction Score
For those in this thread asking about Springs, FWIW here is what Hurley said.

While Brown has decided to transfer, another freshman big who has seen limited playing time appears ready to stick it out.

Richie Springs, a 6-9 redshirt frosh who sat out last season as an academic redshirt, has played even less than Brown this season.

“Richie’s a developmental guy,” Hurley said. “Richie’s very aware of our roster ... With Akok not healthy, it’s hard to get on the court in our frontcourt. Especially when we have the option of Tyler back to full health, playing him at the four, or Tyrese. So, listen, we’ve got a good frontcourt, man. It’s hard to get on the court here. Richie understands what it is. He’s a developmental player. He’s got three or four guys every day that are kicking his (butt) and making him better. He’s embracing it, he’s improving. As long as he understands that he’s a developmental guy, he’ll eventually get with a program like ours. But Richie, now, is really the only guy healthy, in practice, that’s not playing and not in the rotation. I think that probably energizes him a little bit more.”

Reaction Score
I don’t think Sanago will go pro if it means going to the G League. He certainly has not looked close to an NBA player yet
Agree, but then again Bouk didn’t look like an NBA player 6 games into his freshman year either.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Sanago make a Whaley leap in February. Next year, when he’s getting 30 minutes a game...

Reaction Score
I rewatched his minutes against central. I thought he moved pretty well and had the nice dunk at the end. Is he a project? Probably. Definitely. 80-90% of 7' 18-year-old kids are projects.

Sounds like Hurley and staff were a bit blind sided by this. Which is fine, but it's important to recognize events for what they are. This was a PH-up. There's not much point to word it any other way.

Maybe there's nothing they could of done. But they definitely should be asking themselves what happened. What could of been done differently. How can it be avoided in the future. I suspect these meetings have already happened. If not, they should. In the real world an equivalent event is followed by meetings with management. Maybe multiple meetings.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
@Rich got pretty hammered for his post. Considering a major issue of the KO era was the decay of our bigs. And our ability to recruit size. Losing a 7' Freshman almost as soon as he stepped on campus is interesting. Maybe a bit concerning.

I'd also add that someone commented in this thread that we lost recruits in the KO era for failing to coach them. If you read between the lines of Brown's stated reason for leaving. That's kind of what he's saying. He's leaving because his coach left. I interpret that as failing to coach Brown.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over this, but it should at least raise an eyebrow.
Players who arent getting any pt transferring is NOT eyebrow raising. I know he sites his reason as Kenya leaving but if he was getting solid burn in our rotation and things would be different.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom