Javonte Brown enters transfer portal | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Javonte Brown enters transfer portal

Reaction Score

Good reminder from Borges to temper expectations. But I’d be plenty happy with Polley and/or Carlton coming back.

Don't blame them. I'd want to move on with life. Make some $. To stay may make one feel as if they are stagnating in life.

I suppose I might stay if I needed to finish my degree.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
My question is will JB be eligible to play for another NCAA D1 team next year? One thing I do believe is that Hurley is never going to guarantee a kid minutes. Before he injured his wrist some were suggesting DH give AJ more minutes so he doesn't consider transferring. When he was hired by UConn many on the board were hoping he would show the door to some players on the team he inherited. He didn't. He knows what he wants in his program and his players know, too. Recruits will know it too and that's a good thing. I wish Javonte the best but he reminds me of another Canadian, John Candy, who said in Stripes "you got what, a 6 to 8 week training program here?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bring in Clingan!

This type of thing usually means goods things are coming from Hurley's staff. Im excited about the possibilities.

Reaction Score
Any word on if he's looking to enroll for the spring semester or after the season?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
John Candy said in Stripes "you got what, a 6 to 8 week training program here?
I went to this doctor. Well, he told me I swallow a lot of aggression... along with a lot of pizzas! Ha Ha Ha! Pizzas! I'm basically a shy person, I'm a shy guy. Uh, he suggested taking one these uh, aggression training courses. You know these aggression training courses like EST, those type of things. Anyway, it cost 400 bucks! 400 bucks to join this thing? Well I didn't have the money and I thought to myself, "Join the army"! It's free. So I figured while I'm here I'll lose a few pounds. And you got what, a 6 to 8 week training program here? A real tough one. Which is perfect for me.
I'm going to walk out of here a Lean, Mean, Fightin' Machine!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I think the idea of Whaley & Carlton staying another year is ludicrous, no way that was ever happening.

Im not so sure.

I don't think it impossible.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Given the NCAA's announcement of a free fifth year that likely won't count towards scholarship limits, it's not a given that Whaley, Carlton, and Polley all leave.
True, but it is also not a given that they stay. I could see them getting their degrees and deciding to make money. Pro athletes have a limited number of earning years. It may not make sense to give up one them in hope that their status will be enhanced.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Maybe Issiah and Josh will feel Covid robbed them the end of last year and this year of having a normal season and they will want to have one last legit go at it with fans in the building? Who knows... its up to them.

Reaction Score
From a basketball standpoint I find it hard to believe his expectations were to play more than he has this year, behind so many older experienced players. I would have thought the challenge to improve in practice against our current guys would have been his mindset from the beginning. I also would have thought that he expected to compete every subsequent year with other top talent and would not view other good players as a logjam to avoid. That brings me to the thought that maybe he has self assessed that this is the wrong level for him for at least a couple years. He certainly never impressed with our HS limited tape, however, he was interesting in his few minutes, definitely big, had a couple of good skills, and was a great diamond in the rough that might be a home run.

From a non-basketball standpoint, the college experience probably hasn't been normal enough to be enjoyable. He could be homesick, and maybe just needs a fresh start mentally from the quarantining et al.

I would have liked him to stay. From a team standpoint, Sanogo, Johnson, Akok, and Springs are a solid group up front. There is bound to be a spring transfer to plug in.

Reaction Score
Im not so sure.

I don't think it impossible.
With Whaley in particular, it would make sense to get some input from Pro Scouts as to what they think his upside can be as far as his deciding to stay another year. Certainly, Hurley should know some and Calhoun certainly knew some he could consult with.

Reaction Score
Does that mean he is leaving this semester? Or fall semester?

Reaction Score
Preface: I do not think the following will happen, but I find it to be an interesting angle.

Most of us seem to agree that the smart play for the current seniors would be to go pro next year. Their bodies only have so many years of earning potential, so it is best to strike while the iron is hot. On the other hand, college kids are notorious for doing what feels good at the expense of making the rationally "right" decision. Do any of you guys remember college?! I'd still be there today if I could, and I graduated 10 years ago! I can only imagine how much more fun it is for campus celebrities like the basketball players.

Mike Honcho

HU5KIES!
Reaction Score
BYE FELECIA
lol. This was totally uncalled for but still cracked me up, misspellings and all.

Fwiw, even with a lucrative overseas contract awaiting Whaley, I could see a desire to have a real, non-covid plagued senior year of college inducing him to stay (or at least serving as a counterweight).

Reaction Score
Don't blame them. I'd want to move on with life. Make some $. To stay may make one feel as if they are stagnating in life.

I suppose I might stay if I needed to finish my degree.
I’ll tell my wife this, who begged her father to stay a 5th year at UConn. His response was he wasn’t paying for her to party for a year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not 100% confirmed but very likely they won't count for 2021-22

Whoa. I don't see the NCAA doing that at all. I've see no indication that extra scholarships are available.

Among our seniors, I don't see anybody but Whaley being offered a scholarship at UConn next year. And that's no sure thing.

Sanogo is starting right now, even if Carlton gets more minutes. So I think it is safe to assume Sanogo is our starting 5 next year. He sure doesn't look like an NBA player any time soon. So even if Clingan comes when Sanogo is a Junior, I think that's a lot of competition.

At the 4 Akok will need minutes, and Johnson will try to earn some as well. Springs will continue to develop if he stays and should be able to contribute some next year.

Reaction Score
Kid has tons of upside, guys his size don’t grow on trees. Wish him luck. At least one scholly open and likely two with Bouk, very curious to see how the roster shakes out. Can’t imagine two more high schoolers being added, would guess Hurley explores the transfer market. Should be tons of movement.

Reaction Score
Whoa. I don't see the NCAA doing that at all. I've see no indication that extra scholarships are available.

Among our seniors, I don't see anybody but Whaley being offered a scholarship at UConn next year. And that's no sure thing.

Sanogo is starting right now, even if Carlton gets more minutes. So I think it is safe to assume Sanogo is our starting 5 next year. He sure doesn't look like an NBA player any time soon. So even if Clingan comes when Sanogo is a Junior, I think that's a lot of competition.

At the 4 Akok will need minutes, and Johnson will try to earn some as well. Springs will continue to develop if he stays and should be able to contribute some next year.
That's exactly what the NCAA is doing for spring sports last year and fall sports this year, seniors who return don't count against the scholarship limit

Reaction Score
The NCAA already approved it for fall sports:

"The NCAA's announcement said seniors student-athletes who take advantage of the additional year of eligibility will not count against team scholarship limits in 2021-22."

Reaction Score
I’ll tell my wife this, who begged her father to stay a 5th year at UConn. His response was he wasn’t paying for her to party for a year.
I don't think college life is the same for athletes. I'm sure they have plenty of fun as well, but I lived on a floor with El Amin, K Freeman, RIP, Q Hardnett, etc... they get up wicked early for practice, they are on the road a lot, it seems to be pretty demanding. Then someone harasses them about school work on occasion.

To me, playing basketball professionally in Europe (or wherever) sounds pretty similar. Except you have some more money and no one harasses you about school work that you don't really care about.

Reaction Score
Well, hopefully Samson Johnson is ready to play a lot of minutes next year. He and Sanogo will be our only 2 centers left
samson isn't a C though, he's a shot blocking stretch 4 like akok. he and sanogo played alongside each other in highschool.
Remember, we have another highly touted big we expect to come in, regardless of Samson
in 2021? or are you referring to possibly clingan in 2022?
I think this has a lot to due with Akok’s injury. Akok got injured after Brown’s commitment and as a result had his progress stoped. So instead of Akok being a 2 and done with a lot of playing time available for Brown by year 2, now Akok is realistically a 3 or 4 and done. Meaning no real playing time available in the near future.
just like samson and sanogo, akok and brown don't play the same position. i don't see them as related.
My question is will JB be eligible to play for another NCAA D1 team next year?
The NCAA already issued a 'blanket waiver' that will allow all DI athletes to transfer and compete immediately this season and they are expected to pass the permanent one time transfer eligibility rule this summer, in tandem with this years' rule. so he can definitely play elsewhere next year.

definitely need a grad transfer C in 2021 to fill the void until 2022. consensus seems to be whaley and carlton are both leaving so sanogo is going to be the only C on our roster. akok and samson are shot blocking stretch 4s. we can't rely on Springs to be second on the depth chart.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom