Javonte Brown enters transfer portal | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Javonte Brown enters transfer portal

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Selfishly I would have loved to see what his finished product looked like here, but given the pieces in place and on the horizon, it’s hard not to see the logic in his move. I’ll be excited to see where he ends up and how he develops.

From our perspective, if ever there was negative recruiting towards us with Clingan regarding our logjam at the 5 spot, this helps alleviate some of that.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how to respond because I can't tell if you're trolling us or not.
To be fair, the NCAA (until today) hasn't done a great job of publicizing that this year will not count toward anyone's eligibility. They've gone a step further for fall athletes (likely winter to come) that the extra year will also not count towards scholarship limits.

I think this is just an issue of him being realistic about future PT. If none of the current seniors elect to use their free 5th year, there's Sanogo, Akok, and Johnson in the frontcourt. Beyond that, there's 7 guys at the 1-3 spots who will need minutes. At some point, it's just a matter of you can only play five guys at once. He'd need to develop at an astronomical level to jump these guys.

And that's before we factor in the potential of Whaley, Carlton, and Polley taking a fifth year.

Looking further, the potential of Clingan staying in-state and arriving in fall 2022 would mean another two years of more frontcourt competition.

I don't look at this as him giving up whatsoever, it's him being realistic that we don't have the minutes to help him develop in games - that's a very mature thing to do. I wish him the best and hope he finds the program with the availability for him to develop.

Reaction Score
I think he saw the writing on the wall with Sanogo getting minutes ahead of him and another big prospect coming in.

Too bad he's ducking the competition, but if he wants easy minutes, it's not going to be here.
We lose Whaley 4/5 Carlton 5 and even Polley 3/4
Plus Bouk, and maybe even Akok 4/5 . If he comes back strong.
That‘s a lot of minutes especially up front
I suspect PT will be available for those that want to compete
Sonogo height will always give him matchup problems so a 7’0 guy should be salivating.

Reaction Score
Have to think this means Whaley or Carlton is coming back right?
Thats what I was thinking at first, but im not so sure. Isn’t that way too premature for both Carlton and Whaley to make that decision right now? I mean, they can play themselves into NBA Draft picks, you never know.

Reaction Score
Wonder if things might have been different if we played our usual OOC schedule full of cupcakes? Brown would have definitely gotten some more playing time in before the Big East started, granted it would been in garbage time.

Reaction Score
We lose Whaley 4/5 Carlton 5 and even Polley 3/4
Plus Bouk, and maybe even Akok 4/5 . If he comes back strong.
That‘s a lot of minutes especially up front
I suspect PT will be available for those that want to compete
Sonogo height will always give him matchup problems so a 7’0 guy should be salivating.
Given the NCAA's announcement of a free fifth year that likely won't count towards scholarship limits, it's not a given that Whaley, Carlton, and Polley all leave.

I also think it's very, very, very unlikely Akok goes pro this year. He was a highly skilled but unpolished player before he got hurt. Coming off a major injury, NBA teams will want to see how he readjusts and then develops before drafting him. I haven't seen Akok on a single mock draft for 2021.

Reaction Score
This will keep things interesting with another scholarship open now. If the plan isn't to have Whaley or Carlton return, I wonder if we swing for the fences on a recruit in the current class. Don't think we've been linked to any though off the top of my head.

Reaction Score
Thats what I was thinking at first, but im not so sure. Isn’t that way too premature for both Carlton and Whaley to make that decision right now? I mean, they can play themselves into NBA Draft picks, you never know.
There's a solid argument that another year of high-visibility development in the NCAA for Whaley could bump him into the draft. Much, much tougher to make that leap playing overseas.

I don't think that's realistic for Carlton, who can make a good career overseas for himself.

Reaction Score
Weird timing, but oh well. We’ll be fine. Good luck unless you go to Syracuse.

Reaction Score
Not trolling. Explain away, but maybe it was already covered by someone else.

Sorry, I just wasn't sure. There was even a thread recently joking about how these questions can still be coming up. Anyway, others have covered it in this thread. This year doesn't count against eligibility and going forward there will be a one-time, no-wait transfer rule.

Reaction Score
Any chance Clingan reclassifies? Or is he dead set on 2022
How would he reclassify? He still has to graduate high school and he's a junior now. Take enough classes this summer? Like a whole year's worth of classes? Does his school even offer summer classes? It isn't that easy to reclassify. Most kids who do it have repeated a grade in high school already so they can easily get enough credits to graduate.

Reaction Score
We will have Akok back next year. Along with Sampson and likely another big. I could see Whaley coming back too. And Springs. We will have plenty of big men.

Reaction Score
He was nowhere near ready to break into this rotation, but you can't teach size and span and he has plenty of that. Hope he finds a nice landing spot, but I don't consider this a loss really.

Like other have said, this opens up another scholarship, more recruiting possibilities down the road.

Perhaps 3 years from now there will be a thread about guys who transferred and we'll be pining after his numbers for Gonzaga.

Everyone downplayed Durham, and I'm on an island of course, but I am really impressed with his growth and progress at Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I just wasn't sure. There was even a thread recently joking about how these questions can still be coming up. Anyway, others have covered it in this thread. This year doesn't count against eligibility and going forward there will be a one-time, no-wait transfer rule.
NDakotaHusky normally only reads Chief's Briefs... so that's probably why NDakotaHusky didn't know.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He's very young, he's away from home, he's got limited if any social interaction outside the team, and he's not playing. I'd have been more surprised if he made it through the season.
Exactly what will happen wherever he transfers to and he doesn't even have any relationships with whoever his new teammates will be. So it will be even worse.

Reaction Score
Not surprised.. Guessing he saw way too much competition for PT .. Could have viewed certain recruitments/commitments as staff continuing to "recruit over him".. Believe there's more to the story..

BTW.. IIRC..Sool has an AAU teammate that would be a nice pickup for JB's spot.. Maybe staff thinks they're good for 4/5.until Clingan decision..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I feel pretty neutral, not surprising since over 1000 players transferred the previous year.

Wish him the best of luck wherever he ends up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom