January: Update on former players | Page 4 | The Boneyard

January: Update on former players

Reaction Score
I’m not disputing any of the transfers.

To me, most of these cases of guys “developing” outside of Whaley are really just guys getting increased playing time and responsibility. Not actually having things they were originally bad at that they are now good at, on offense at least.

Prime example is year 3 and all Andre Jackson has to show for offensively is a 30% 3 point shooting percentage on wide open 3s. Jordan Hawkins knew he had to work on his handle over the summer and he still can’t get his own shot like that. Look at sophomore year Jeremy Lamb as a real example of how he probably should’ve came in this year as a scorer.

Thing is, those are things they NEED to have a long NBA future.
If you’re going to say that Hawkins hasn’t improved significantly, then it’s clear you’re not arguing in good faith, but I’d be remiss if I didn’t point out just how much better Hawkins is this year. Look at the turnover rate if you think he hasn’t tightened up his handle, as well as the increased efficiency on much more volume.
FDBF4CF1-61D2-4258-AD1B-2800D99871FE.jpeg
AD83A427-A3DE-4D22-8616-1A1D402FA2B7.jpeg

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Wow your post is crazy.

Hawkins handle HAS improved dramatically. You’re mixing up handle with working to get your own shot. One is related to the other, but they are different skill sets.

Andre’s year by year 3pt shot has gotten better.

Sanogo’s passing has gotten better.

For all but the top 0.1% elite athletes/players, these things take time, dude. And the contribution of coaching is relatively small compared to the amount of time the player is willing to devote to practicing.
It’s not that crazy man. I’m not saying things haven’t improved, but it’s still considered a relative weakness.

Again, a good comparison for the improvement Hawkins needed to make was Jeremy Lamb. Look at his sophomore year highlights and how he got his points after not being able to create for himself at all as a freshman. This isn’t an All Star NBA player we’re talking about here either or even a starter. If Hawkins isn’t close to that right now he’s no where near ready for the league.

Andre’s 3 has gotten better but it’s still a weakness. Teams still sag off him and it’s the ONLY thing that’s gotten better scoring wise. In year THREE.

Sanogo’s passing has improved but as many have discussed this season, it’s still a weakness.

These guys are not good at anything we just mentioned. I would like to see added skills. Not just guys becoming more efficient at what they’re already good at.

There’s a reason some coaches are much better at sending guys to the NBA than others. It definitely has something to do with it.

caw

Reaction Score
It’s not that crazy man. I’m not saying things haven’t improved, but it’s still considered a relative weakness.

Again, a good comparison for the improvement Hawkins needed to make was Jeremy Lamb. Look at his sophomore year highlights and how he got his points after not being able to create for himself at all as a freshman. This isn’t an All Star NBA player we’re talking about here either or even a starter. If Hawkins isn’t close to that right now he’s no where near ready for the league.

Andre’s 3 has gotten better but it’s still a weakness. Teams still sag off him and it’s the ONLY thing that’s gotten better scoring wise. In year THREE.

Sanogo’s passing has improved but as many have discussed this season, it’s still a weakness.

These guys are not good at anything we just mentioned. I would like to see added skills. Not just guys becoming more efficient at what they’re already good at.

There’s a reason some coaches are much better at sending guys to the NBA than others. It definitely has something to do with it.

One thing Hawkins has over both Lamb and Bouknight is that his shot is just much better. Never safe to assume it will translate to the NBA but Lamb always had a bit of a slow release and Bouknight never seemed to get his balance right. His upper body would look fine but he always seemed to be floating so the shot just clanked too often.

Hawkins, could find himself a starter with his shot alone. Reddick comes to mind. His shot looks that good when open (and even when guarded). Not saying he would be amazing, but he could easily start with his shooting alone. I think he has plenty of other things going for him as well. Not a star as things stand but certainly could be an asset on the right team.

Reaction Score
Late to the thread but why is Tate George going by Claude Simpson?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
One thing Hawkins has over both Lamb and Bouknight is that his shot is just much better. Never safe to assume it will translate to the NBA but Lamb always had a bit of a slow release and Bouknight never seemed to get his balance right. His upper body would look fine but he always seemed to be floating so the shot just clanked too often.

Hawkins, could find himself a starter with his shot alone. Reddick comes to mind. His shot looks that good when open (and even when guarded). Not saying he would be amazing, but he could easily start with his shooting alone. I think he has plenty of other things going for him as well. Not a star as things stand but certainly could be an asset on the right team.
I agree with his shot, his potential as a shooter and scorer is much higher than Lamb’s and Bouknight. We see it with how close teams have to guard him every game with the fouls he draws now. The potential is there for him to be an elite scorer.

He has A LOT to work on to get to that level though. Strength, handle to help get separation on his own without the help of screens, and finishing at the rim which he is getting better and better at this year.

As a sophomore though he’s further behind development wise than his predecessors. It probably would’ve helped if he got the playing time they did his freshman year though.

Reaction Score
Late to the thread but why is Tate George going by Claude Simpson?
Claude is his birth name, no clue where the Simpson comes from. Trying to rebrand himself I think.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'm cheering for Akok, Gaffney, Adams, I was happy for Carlton last year

I'm completely indifferent about Diggins, Floyd, Brown... That's like following Akinjo or Bynum. Not Huskies to me

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

i have never seen mr napier so fit. freakin awesome. obviously, he is all in on being the best he can be. he actually looks different.

i have a good feeling that he is far, far, from done with playing the game
as a playa. thanks for this look-in. (at first, i misspelled 'look' with 'lock.'
mebbe not.)

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I’m not disputing any of the transfers.

To me, most of these cases of guys “developing” outside of Whaley are really just guys getting increased playing time and responsibility. Not actually having things they were originally bad at that they are now good at, on offense at least.

Prime example is year 3 and all Andre Jackson has to show for offensively is a 30% 3 point shooting percentage on wide open 3s. Jordan Hawkins knew he had to work on his handle over the summer and he still can’t get his own shot like that. Look at sophomore year Jeremy Lamb as a real example of how he probably should’ve came in this year as a scorer.

Thing is, those are things they NEED to have a long NBA future.
i think danny is good at guessing where a guy could
get to, with or without danny's help.

mr lamb comes from the jc school, where he and his methods, decides where they should get to. resume as evidence. the man was a rose fertilizer, with blooms everywhere, including coaches.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

jj redick? almost scared me off this place for good. that is so bad.
jj redick.
16 per at hawks year in school. didn't miss a game, i think.
27 per senior year. still didn't miss a game. 42% on 3, 90% ft.
hs parade allstar, AP poy, and everything in between.
nba, 15 years, played around 30 minutes per game for most of it,
$120 million.

so, ah, no.
hawk shoots real well, but not toppest levels, yet.
altogether, i really don't know what his peak is. as of now and so far, 1st or 2nd round draft spot isn't there. mebbe that will change, idk.

caw

Reaction Score
I'm cheering for Akok, Gaffney, Adams, I was happy for Carlton last year

I'm completely indifferent about Diggins, Floyd, Brown... That's like following Akinjo or Bynum. Not Huskies to me

Diggins at least suited up a bit.
jj redick.
$120 million.

so, ah, no.
altogether, i really don't know what his peak is. as of now and so far, 1st or 2nd round draft spot isn't there. mebbe that will change, idk.

Missed games have almost zero relevance.

JJ was at 15.9 Hawk is at 14.8.
JJ was at 39.5% from three. Hawk 39.3.
JJ was at 42.3 FG%. Hawk is at 39.2% (but not really about the topic of Hawkins three point shooting).

Hawk with a slightly higher RPG, SPG and BPG and negligible lower APG (.1 difference).

JJ was at 31.1 MPG, Hawk at 30.2.

Now the spot JJ really separates himself statistically is FT% 95% to 73% (and probably the single point difference in their scoring averages).

JJ did take 6.9 3PT attempts per game but Hawk is at 6.5, not a huge difference.

caw

Reaction Score
jj redick.
$120 million.

so, ah, no.

JJ was at 42.3 FG%. Hawk is at 39.2% (but not really about the topic of Hawkins three point shooting).

Hawk with a slightly higher RPG, SPG and BPG and negligible lower APG (.1 difference).

Now the spot JJ really separates himself statistically is FT% 95% to 73% (and probably the single point difference in their scoring averages).

JJ did take 6.9 3PT attempts per game but Hawk is at 6.5, not a huge difference.

Reaction Score
I can't believe how wrong I was about Diggins. It's too bad he hasn't had much success at UMass or their game vs Brendan Adams and GWU would have been a lot more interesting. As it stands, Adams had 15 pts, 5 assists and no turnovers in 39 minutes; Sool had 3 minutes and 1 turnover.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

Now the spot JJ really separates himself statistically is AP Player of the Year. u forgot that one. ftfy.
mr redick has more hardware than home depot.

on another note, nice to see that this week, jmoney's squad has more votes than Kentucky, North Carolina, and Rutgers in the coach's poll. didn't Rutger's just beat numero uno recently?
say what?????????????

Reaction Score
So Florida Atlantic is now 14-1 and sits atop Conference USA. However, Jalen Gaffney has hit a wall or something scoring a TOTAL of 9 points over the past five games.

Reaction Score
So Florida Atlantic is now 14-1 and sits atop Conference USA. However, Jalen Gaffney has hit a wall or something scoring a TOTAL of 9 points over the past five games.
It's kinda bizarre. He always hits a wall in conference play. Did it the last 2 years, too.

Reaction Score
The things that were weaknesses for Sanogo, Jackson, and Hawkins coming in are still weaknesses in year 3/2 (passing, scoring overall, handle).

Bouknight came in ready. I’m not exactly sure what he got better at in his second year outside of just being more confident with more of a green light (like Hawkins this year). But he was making game winning baskets in his first game. It’s not like he was Jeremy Lamb who really struggled at first and then was a completely different player by his sophomore year.

Clingan has come in ready. It’ll be interesting to see how much he develops next year. Especially because he has so much he can add to his game to be even better than he already is.
If you don’t see improvement across the board from Hurley recruits you’re blind. We’re not top 10 in the country with zero one and ones and no player development.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If you don’t see improvement across the board from Hurley recruits you’re blind. We’re not top 10 in the country with zero one and ones and no player development.
There's been improvement in some player the last few years but to be honest, we won't know on quite a few that are now playing for other teams
Bouk only wishes he could be the player that Jeremy Lamb is/was.

Reaction Score
There's been improvement in some player the last few years but to be honest, we won't know on quite a few that are now playing for other teams
Bouk only wishes he could be the player that Jeremy Lamb is/not
If players improve on other teams it shows Hurley can’t develop players?

Lamb is better than Bouknight so Hurley can’t develop players?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Most of Hurley’s recruits aren’t here so.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Do your arms ever get tired from digging?

Every single kid on the team is a Hurley recruit.
No there’s a lot of “ready made” transfers like Tate said. That’s literally how we got here this year. Hurley didn’t like a lot of his own guys from last year and replaced them with transfers. We can’t have it both ways here guys. We’re a really good team because of it.

It’s just disingenuous to say “across the board” when almost 50% of his HS recruits have transferred out.

Not saying he can’t do it though. He just hasn’t shown it. Seeing how Hawk, Andre, and DC continue to develop are big litmus tests.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom