January: Update on former players | Page 7 | The Boneyard

January: Update on former players

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score

The Wrench may genuinely play himself into the NBA at this point. What a story. I love this kid so much

As much as I love Porkchop, he is averaging like 6/5 this year for Greensboro. NBA might be a bit far off still.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
No there’s a lot of “ready made” transfers like Tate said. That’s literally how we got here this year. Hurley didn’t like a lot of his own guys from last year and replaced them with transfers. We can’t have it both ways here guys. We’re a really good team because of it.

It’s just disingenuous to say “across the board” when almost 50% of his HS recruits have transferred out.

Not saying he can’t do it though. He just hasn’t shown it. Seeing how Hawk, Andre, and DC continue to develop are big litmus tests.

I guess this guy doesn't comprehend the transfer portal very well. It's a different world. 1,700 kids entered the transfer portal last year, the overwhelming vast majority transferred too. An average of somewhere between 4 & 5 kids per school

It's a whole new world, welcome to 2023. Looks like Hurley is good at it, thankfully for our program. Stated simply, it's a good thing

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Their job is to win games and national championships. It's why Kentucky's fanbase and the school look to be done with Calipari. He can pretend all he wants that his job is to put guys in the NBA and not to win it all but that's a cop out.
So you don’t care if we develop successful pros?

I guess this guy doesn't comprehend the transfer portal very well. It's a different world. 1,700 kids entered the transfer portal last year, the overwhelming vast majority transferred too. An average of somewhere between 4 & 5 kids per school

It's a whole new world, welcome to 2023. Looks like Hurley is good at it, thankfully for our program. Stated simply, it's a good thing
That has nothing to do with what I’m saying.

Reaction Score
So you don’t care if we develop successful pros?

That has nothing to do with what I’m saying.
I care much more about winning games and championships, that's what the coach is paid to do. Usually the two go hand in hand, I couldn't care less that we have zero players in the NBA from the 2014 national championship team.

Reaction Score
Whaley with 19 pts and 13 rebounds (both career highs) and 3 blocks tonight. He also had the game winning basket in overtime. Bouknight chipped in 14 pts off the bench
Bouknight has a major body language problem, but he ran on the court to hype up Whaley after that winning shot. It was heartwarming lol

Reaction Score
I care much more about winning games and championships, that's what the coach is paid to do. Usually the two go hand in hand, I couldn't care less that we have zero players in the NBA from the 2014 national championship team.
I’ve been waiting for someone to say this. I agree 100% CBB is a sport in its own right. Highlights different skill sets etc. I also don’t view it as a prep league for the nba. Success in nba is an afterthought and I doubt Hurley is concerned with this either. He’d rather these kids stay more than a year.
I don’t mind if others care about this though. I just…well…the NBA…you know.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
2014 was the definition of getting the most out of a team. I think the only team to win a national championship without a Burger Boy.

The opposite of UNC

Reaction Score
We had a point guard in Diggins last year. Unfortunately he was not given the opportunity.

He's not good enough to play at this level. He's shooting 26% and barely sees the floor for UMass. He'll probably need to transfer again if he wants to play. He's a MAAC level player.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
us, #17
fau, #19
College basketball power rankings: UCLA up to No. 2, Alabama into top five; Texas and Marquette join the party

FAU's 14 straight victories are second in the sport to Charleston's 16. What's more, this for-real team ranks top-45 at KenPom, top-35 at Torvik and top-15 in the NET. What a season this is becoming in college hoops. FAU is in my power rankings. What?!

Yes, FAU is good. Take a look at some of their recent box scores and let us know how Gaff is doing.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Yes, FAU is good. Take a look at some of their recent box scores and let us know how Gaff is doing.
Btw, 0-0-0 on 0 for 3 shooting with four minutes to go in their game today.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Has Hurley developed Adama's 3 point shooting, a necessary skill to play in the NBA? or did you just casually brush that off?
He doesn't need the 3 pt shot as much as he needs a midrange game and a better handle - both should have been his only focus this past off season and I see not a hint of it. He's not at the level of the Joker or even Brook Lopez where he can be a 5 in the NBA and occasionally shoot the 3. AS will only play the 4 and he doesn't have the skill level to play the 4 at the NBA. Please show me one NBA 4 that doesn't have a midrange game and can't handle the ball with pressure.
BTW - if DH concentrated on just the 3pt shot with AS this past off season - he should have his head examined...................................

Reaction Score
He doesn't need the 3 pt shot as much as he needs a midrange game and a better handle - both should have been his only focus this past off season and I see not a hint of it. He's not at the level of the Joker or even Brook Lopez where he can be a 5 in the NBA and occasionally shoot the 3. AS will only play the 4 and he doesn't have the skill level to play the 4 at the NBA. Please show me one NBA 4 that doesn't have a midrange game and can't handle the ball with pressure.
BTW - if DH concentrated on just the 3pt shot with AS this past off season - he should have his head examined...................................
I actually think Clingan's emergence has made people overlook how much more efficient Sanogo is on offense compared to last year. Per Bart Torvik, here is the comparison of this year and last year.

Dunks: 16-18 (89%)
At the rim: 81-107 (76%)
Other 2-pt: 39-84 (46%)
3-pt: 11-28 (39%)
Effective FG %: 62.3 %
Offensive rating: 118.1

Dunks: 29-32 (91%)
At the rim: 111-175 (63%)
Other 2: 68-179 (38%)
3-pt: 0-1 (0%)
Effective FG %: 50.4%
Offensive rating: 105.3

Reaction Score
Back to former players, Gaffney had another quiet game, but they beat North Texas to improve to 16-1. I'm really happy he ended up in such a solid position. I hope he picks it up and helps wrap up a tourney berth for himself. He always seemed like a genuinely good guy who just needed a change of scenery in a less competitive conference.

Reaction Score
I actually think Clingan's emergence has made people overlook how much more efficient Sanogo is on offense compared to last year. Per Bart Torvik, here is the comparison of this year and last year.

Dunks: 16-18 (89%)
At the rim: 81-107 (76%)
Other 2-pt: 39-84 (46%)
3-pt: 11-28 (39%)
Effective FG %: 62.3 %
Offensive rating: 118.1

Dunks: 29-32 (91%)
At the rim: 111-175 (63%)
Other 2: 68-179 (38%)
3-pt: 0-1 (0%)
Effective FG %: 50.4%
Offensive rating: 105.3

He very, very rarely takes a hook shot from 10 feet now. He either seals and gets a layup. Or makes a move to get closer. And just in general has improved his finishing. Plus the 3pt shooting.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
No. 24 Florida Atlantic wins 17th straight, 83-64 over UTSA

and now, for the angry, hard of thinking haters, this is what be:
coach made a promo at the beginning of the season, and chose two players to join him in representing the team - messeurs goldin and j'moneh. he knew what was up becuz he knew that he also had a bunch, like a lot, of guys who can run and gun from like the 2 to the shooting four spots, and all that mess needed was a sweet, slippery five, and a chef boyardee at the helm.
jalen plays, garuntee, almost every single game at the start and finish of the first, then the second halves 16-20 minutes right thar, then another 5 or so minutes more thruout. since game 5, he's been the starter.
he and goldin made 20 minute cameos the last game as they beat number 2 in the standings in a blow out.
the rest of the squad had fun, too, just runnin around hoopin and hollarin. and now, for the first time, ever, jmoney's FAU team is in the national rankings.

18-1. ya, that happened.......

Reaction Score
As much as I love Porkchop, he is averaging like 6/5 this year for Greensboro. NBA might be a bit far off still.
That's largely due to lack of PT when 2- way guys and players down on assignment are getting big minutes.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
He's not good enough to play at this level. He's shooting 26% and barely sees the floor for UMass. He'll probably need to transfer again if he wants to play. He's a MAAC level player.
UConn and others missed badly on him.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
jalen is 15-0 as starting point/mr do-stuff for his squad.
they won, again tonite, on the road where they're 8-1.
The Owls (19-1, 9-0 C-USA) won their 18th straight game ...
No. 24 Florida Atlantic beats UTEP for 18th straight win
i only counted aboot 4 sick jmoney dimes, but all his other stuff is on accurate display in this recent episode dedicated to the perpetually butthurt, and appropriately called 'y'all sum .'
this is what he does,

Reaction Score
jalen is 15-0 as starting point/mr do-stuff for his squad.
they won, again tonite, on the road where they're 8-1.
The Owls (19-1, 9-0 C-USA) won their 18th straight game ...
No. 24 Florida Atlantic beats UTEP for 18th straight win
i only counted aboot 4 sick jmoney dimes, but all his other stuff is on accurate display in this recent episode dedicated to the perpetually butthurt, and appropriately called 'y'all sum .'
this is what he does,

He had 3 points (0-4 shooting) 2 assists and 2 rebounds in 25 minutes of play according to the box score. I'm happy his team is doing well but I wouldn't say he's playing any better than what we saw at UConn.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He had 3 points (0-4 shooting) 2 assists and 2 rebounds in 25 minutes of play according to the box score. I'm happy his team is doing well but I wouldn't say he's playing any better than what we saw at UConn.
I will say similar to his freshman year, he’s playing better than the box score would say.

When watching the highlights he just seems to have a knack for knowing what the right play is.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
obviously, u r wholly unfamiliar with the concept of winning basketball.
jalen was brought in by coach may to try and turn a backwater rabble of zero past success into something better.
15-0 as the starter for a never until now nationally ranked team, it's clear that his task is already, 'mission accomplished,' (u know why? cuz this teams performance will, again obviously, lead to better recruits!)
and the only remaining question is 'exactly how high will this team fly?'
the only relevant stat is 'winning.'
how's he doin'?
since ur brain is filled with sage, or warm choc chip cookies, u should watch the video above to better understand what it means to be a 'winning' baller. his 'job' is to be large and in charge every time the coach feels the game is at an inflection point. every single time.
save the stat stuff for crapto, or coaches who talk aboot how many halves they have won. those don't pay the electric bill, either.

and oh, jmoney has never missed a game in his career.

Reaction Score
jalen was brought in by coach may to try and turn a backwater rabble of zero past success into something better.
15-0 as the starter for a never until now nationally ranked team, it's clear that his task is already, 'mission accomplished,' (u know why? cuz this teams performance will, again obviously, lead to better recruits!)
how's he doin'?
since ur brain is filled with sage, or warm choc chip cookies, u should watch the video above to better understand what it means to be a 'winning' baller. his 'job' is to be large and in charge every time the coach feels the game is at an inflection point. every single time.
save the stat stuff for crapto, or coaches who talk aboot how many halves they have won. those don't pay the electric bill, either.

What's your point? That he shouldnt have gone to FAU and stayed at UConn cause he is a winner? I'm glad his team is winning but cleary FAU doesnt need him to be a facilitator or scorer cause he isnt doing either outside of some "highlight" video. At UConn, he had flashes but was never consistent enough but maybe his new home and conference which isnt Big East caliber is different.

Reaction Score
how's he doin'?

Jalen was always better the less he did
Plain Vanilla , keep a cool head and run the offense .
To win sometimes less is more
filling the box score and losing is not my idea of success.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom