January: Update on former players | Page 5 | The Boneyard

January: Update on former players

Reaction Score
No there’s a lot of “ready made” transfers like Tate said. That’s literally how we got here this year. Hurley didn’t like a lot of his own guys from last year and replaced them with transfers. We can’t have it both ways here guys. We’re a really good team because of it.

It’s just disingenuous to say “across the board” when almost 50% of his HS recruits have transferred out.

Not saying he can’t do it though. He just hasn’t shown it. Seeing how Hawk, Andre, and DC continue to develop are big litmus tests.
Four of the five starters are Hurley recruits and Clingan has also had great impact as a freshman. Plenty of development and productivity from Hurley's recruits.

Transfers are a huge part of the equation in today's college basketball landscape. You should be applauding Hurley for upgrading the talent level of the team via the transfer portal. Most of the better teams are doing exactly that. Providence sits at 6-0 atop the Big East Standings and their four transfers scored 58 points against UConn!

Would you rather try to develop Rahsool Diggins (who is struggling as a Soph at UMass) or play Tristen Newton who had 13 points 4 rebounds 2 blocks and an assist in UConn's last win?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Four of the five starters are Hurley recruits and Clingan has also had great impact as a freshman. Plenty of development and productivity from Hurley's recruits.

Transfers are a huge part of the equation in today's college basketball landscape. You should be applauding Hurley for upgrading the talent level of the team via the transfer portal. Most of the better teams are doing exactly that. Providence sits at 6-0 atop the Big East Standings and their four transfers scored 58 points against UConn!

Would you rather try to develop Rahsool Diggins (who is struggling as a Soph at UMass) or play Tristen Newton who had 13 points 4 rebounds 2 blocks and an assist in UConn's last win?
It’s fine I like this years transfers after previously being against it, even though I’d still rather not rely on them so much every year.

I’m done debating about whether we should’ve kept guys or not because it doesn’t matter. We’re a top 10 team (mostly because it’s led overall by Hurley recruits unlike last year but still).

But the reason we needed them is because of the failed development of A LOT of players.

Hurley’s kind of like Roy Williams right now. Roy won a lot, he recruited well, but he didn’t really get guys ready for the NBA.

Reaction Score
No there’s a lot of “ready made” transfers like Tate said. That’s literally how we got here this year. Hurley didn’t like a lot of his own guys from last year and replaced them with transfers. We can’t have it both ways here guys. We’re a really good team because of it.

It’s just disingenuous to say “across the board” when almost 50% of his HS recruits have transferred out.

Not saying he can’t do it though. He just hasn’t shown it. Seeing how Hawk, Andre, and DC continue to develop are big litmus tests.
He recruited every single kid on the team. Our best players are all kids he recruited out of high school and he made the team better by recruiting transfers which every single top coach in the country is supposed to be doing in this landscape.

It's one thing to be critical of things where they're justified but your criticisms are ridiculous and not based in reality, you have an agenda and so does Claude Simpson.

Reaction Score
It’s fine I like this years transfers after previously being against it, even though I’d still rather not rely on them so much every year.

I’m done debating about whether we should’ve kept guys or not because it doesn’t matter. We’re a top 10 team (mostly because it’s led overall by Hurley recruits unlike last year but still).

But the reason we needed them is because of the failed development of A LOT of players.

Hurley’s kind of like Roy Williams right now. Roy won a lot, he recruited well, but he didn’t really get guys ready for the NBA.
Roy Williams sent 52 players to the NBA

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
BS The plan for CFjr was always to red shirt. He can barely get on the court now. As a17 year old freshman he would have been overwhelmed. Plus as far as Tate is concerned I wouldn't trust anything he says or does. The guy conned his friends.
That was my understanding as well. I’ve heard the issue was that Floyd thought he could help last year’s and felt that Hurley’s praise of him was disingenuous since he wasn’t played, but who knows.

He would’ve gotten some burn had he stayed this year. One would think that the family might recalibrate their impression of him giving his lack of minutes at PC.

It’s an embarrassing look for Tate, but certainly not the worst his had.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
So Florida Atlantic is now 14-1 and sits atop Conference USA. However, Jalen Gaffney has hit a wall or something scoring a TOTAL of 9 points over the past five games.
Shhh. You're disrupting someone's narrative.
Screenshot_20230111-104908.png

To be clear, I'm fine with Jalen playing well when he does, but not willing to push a take that doesn't currently add up.

Those with interest can review my posts from last season, when I encouraged people to cheer hard for Jalen rather than complain about him. May he flourish where he has been replanted.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He recruited every single kid on the team. Our best players are all kids he recruited out of high school and he made the team better by recruiting transfers which every single top coach in the country is supposed to be doing in this landscape.

It's one thing to be critical of things where they're justified but your criticisms are ridiculous and not based in reality, you have an agenda and so does Claude Simpson.
Okay. So I guess we’ll see our guys having thriving NBA careers in a few years since Hurley is this great developer.

Agree to disagree.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Roy Williams sent 52 players to the NBA
And none of them actually did well despite bringing in countless All Americans. They haven’t had an All Star since Vince.

Roy couldn’t develop guys. It’s why they’d somehow have rosters full of 5* that are in there 3rd or 4th years when they won championships because they were just too talented for anyone to beat.

Reaction Score
Roy couldn’t develop guys. It’s why they’d somehow have rosters full of 5* that are in there 3rd or 4th years when they won championships because they were just too talented for anyone to beat.
These 2 sentences make zero sense next to each other. He couldn't develop guys but they were too talented in years 3 and 4 with his players? Sure sounds like these championship winning players developed from that description

Reaction Score
And none of them actually did well despite bringing in countless All Americans. They haven’t had an All Star since Vince.

Is it a mark against a college coach that his players don't continue to develop into all stars once they've been drafted?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
There is a huge difference in developing guys to fit your system vs developing guys to not only fit your system but to be complete in enough areas to make it to the NBA.
Hurley does well with the system but has no track record on the second. Will that change? We will see.
There were enough players under Roy Williams to make it to the NBA to say he had success in them getting there - whether he helped them improve or not is another question.

Reaction Score
Transfer recruiting is recruiting. Hurley has done an amazing job of recruiting this year's roster, and with a much more coherent and versatile lineup than last year.

He's also done well to develop the guys who returned (Hawkins somewhat more physical, more well-rounded game; Jackson cut down on turnovers; Sanogo expanding his range to the 3 point line). Obviously he's not going to have as much of an opportunity to develop guys who spent 3 years somewhere else and only a few months here, but that's not the point of transfers.

Reaction Score
Here’s how our transfers are doing vs. their replacements on this year’s roster

Gaffney: 6.1PPG, 2.8RPG, 2.2APG on 43/42/70
Newton: 9.6PPG, 4.2RPG, 4.4APG on 35/36/82

CFJ: 2.2PPG, 1.0RPG, 0.2APG on 48/46/100
Diarra: 3.0PPG, 1.8RPG, 2.4APG on 29/19/50
We know this comparison isn’t fair because CFJ barely plays and Diarra is one of the best PG defenders in the conference

Rahsool: 2.7PPG, 1.1RPG, 2.1APG on 27/22/17
Calcaterra: 7.1PPG, 2.3RPG, 1.5APG on 47/45/88

Akok: 7.4PPG, 7.0RPG, 1.9BPG on 46/30/75
Karaban: 9.2PPG, 4.0RPG, 0.6BPG on 46/37/81

Reaction Score
Here’s how our transfers are doing vs. their replacements on this year’s roster

Gaffney: 6.1PPG, 2.8RPG, 2.2APG on 43/42/70
Newton: 9.6PPG, 4.2RPG, 4.4APG on 35/36/82

CFJ: 2.2PPG, 1.0RPG, 0.2APG on 48/46/100
Diarra: 3.0PPG, 1.8RPG, 2.4APG on 29/19/50
We know this comparison isn’t fair because CFJ barely plays and Diarra is one of the best PG defenders in the conference

Rahsool: 2.7PPG, 1.1RPG, 2.1APG on 27/22/17
Calcaterra: 7.1PPG, 2.3RPG, 1.5APG on 47/45/88

Akok: 7.4PPG, 7.0RPG, 1.9BPG on 46/30/75
Karaban: 9.2PPG, 4.0RPG, 0.6BPG on 46/37/81
Poor Sool. Is he the biggest recruiting bust in UConn history, relative to his recruiting ranking (excluding players where weird extracurricular stuff was going on)?

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score

Has Hurley developed Adama's 3 point shooting, a necessary skill to play in the NBA? or did you just casually brush that off?

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
So you’re telling me Sanogo is going to be an NBA player?
The All-American, possible Big East POY who is projected to get drafted by most sources? I'd say he'll have a shot.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Following this ridiculous logic, it just means the NBA coaches couldn’t develop them. I mean, they were college All Americans but never NBA All Stars. Ammirite? Face palm.
So you don’t know how the NBA works huh?

it’s not on those coaches. They’re suppose to be pros at that point. No more hand holding.

It’s on their college coaches to give them the skills necessary to succeed. That’s why coaches like Calhoun, Coach K, and Cal (ew but still) had those reps for getting players ready for the pros.

Coaches like those are the difference between being an All Star or being a UNC player from this century.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Blocking HuskyWarrior is the best decision I've made on this board.

Seriously. Once in a while I'll log out to see who's spewing nonsense again, and he's one of 2 or 3 that manage to cause 90% of the pages-long disputes on here.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He’s pretty much 50 and lower on all these except for the one that had him higher than Jordan Hawkins.

So I mean, if the best example of nba skill development you have is a fringe late 2nd round draft pick that may not be a good example.

He’s not on most of the reputable mocks either.

Tankathon:

Bleacher report:

Hoops Hype:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds