January: Update on former players | Page 3 | The Boneyard

January: Update on former players

Reaction Score
What a weird thing to do. He had some big feelings and put them on social media. Good for you? I get second hand embarrassment way too easily but yikes. He can have whatever opinion he wants of the coach, but that many factual inaccuracies really does not bode well for your case being a sound one.

It's all just yapping. The reality is CFJ is not good enough to play for us. The way he's looking the A10 might even be a stretch for him right now.

And for all the love of Calhoun in this post, there are former players who hate his guts. I know a former NBA player that is very highly regarded on this board who absolutely despises Calhoun.

Coaching D1 ball means feelings are going to get hurt. Going off on social media about it is not a good look. Time to move on.

Reaction Score
What a weird thing to do. He had some big feelings and put them on social media. Good for you? He’s what, in his mid-fifties? How embarrassing. He can have whatever opinion he wants of the coach, but that many factual inaccuracies really does not bode well for your case being a sound one.
Complaining about graduation rates when the transfer portal has completely changed and Hurley is in his 5th year with his first class having only one recruit in Brendan Adams who was came with him from URI

Reaction Score
It's all just yapping. The reality is CFJ is not good enough to play for us. The way he's looking the A10 might even be a stretch for him right now.

And for all the love of Calhoun in this post, there are former players who hate his guts. I know a former NBA player that is very highly regarded on this board who absolutely despises Calhoun.

Coaching D1 ball means feelings are going to get hurt. Going off on social media about it is not a good look. Time to move on.

And it’s almost always the people who aren’t really doing anything themselves going off. Who else has the time and energy to do so? Imagine saying, “I’ve known him since he was ten years old” like you’re really doing something with that. Jesus, take the iPhone!

Reaction Score
Met Tate at UConn. Not the sharpest tack in the box. His Ponzi scheme was either because of stupidity, shadiness or (most likely) both. I wouldn’t really give his thoughts much weight and it’s embarrassing that he’s a UConn grad. I’m not a Hurley fan boy. He has his issues, but Tate should fade into the background and get his life on track quietly. Insulting the head coach at the institution that could help him with that comeback seems short sighted. It’s late, Tate. You’re no longer great.

Reaction Score
Met Tate at UConn. Not the sharpest tack in the box. His Ponzi scheme was either because of stupidity, shadiness or (most likely) both. I wouldn’t really give his thoughts much weight and it’s embarrassing that he’s a UConn grad. I’m not a Hurley fan boy. He has his issues, but Tate should fade into the background and get his life on track quietly. Insulting the head coach at the institution that could help him with that comeback seems short sighted. It’s late, Tate. You’re no longer great.

I am getting lost in the comments on that Insta…man, that guy definitely failed English class

His takes are just insane, what a space cadet

Reaction Score
Is this a legit TG account? Very serious claims against Hurley. He doesn't WANT to coach his players? Where in the world is this coming from? So does AD Dave ignore this? Get on the phone and ask what in the world he's talking about? Not a good look claiming he'd never go against the program and then **** on the current coach a few sentences later. Disgraceful.
This is Tate George. My buddy is friends with Tate's brother and he talks to Tate regularly now.

Reaction Score
Kemba can NOT play more than a couple of games before his knee fails. His performance on the court was pretty good. But the most important ability is availability. Unless there is a miracle cure for his knee, it looks like the end of the line.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Tate has expanded on his thoughts
View attachment 82803
Not going to debate how good the transfers are or not or CJ, but he’s not wrong about Hurley pretty much not developing players and seemingly wanting to bring in ready made guys.

Even all the guys @husky429 listed were either an Ollie recruit or a transfer.

His player development still remains to be seen, but we’ll see.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Kemba waived by Mavs....maybe the end of the line?

Kemba can NOT play more than a couple of games before his knee fails. His performance on the court was pretty good. But the most important ability is availability. Unless there is a miracle cure for his knee, it looks like the end of the line.

Some athlete's health fails before skills erode.
Others have their skills erode but have their health.

Kemba showed a few weeks ago that a healthy Kemba is still a viable NBA player.

I don't know if either scenario is preferable for a player when they have to hang them up.

I think I'd prefer to have my skills and be forced out by health.

Reaction Score
Not going to debate how good the transfers are or not or CJ, but he’s not wrong about Hurley pretty much not developing players and seemingly wanting to bring in ready made guys.

Sanogo, Jackson, and Hawkins have all developed pretty well, IMO. Whaley went from afterthought to the G League. Bouk is struggling, but he was drafted much higher than anybody anticipated when he committed. Even Clingan has exceeded preseason expectations. I’d give Hurley and our staff plenty of credit.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Yeah I’m not gonna trust a word out of the mouth of a Ponzi scheme artist who defrauded investors. Clown shoes
Are you investing money with him or listening to his thoughts on basketball?
What he says about DH coaching style and handling of CJ is true.
Take the blinders off.,
What Tate did in his private life was wrong and he paid for it. I trust he understands the game of basketball better than you or I

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Sanogo, Jackson, and Hawkins have all developed pretty well, IMO. Whaley went from afterthought to the G League. Bouk is struggling, but he was drafted much higher than anybody anticipated when he committed. Even Clingan has exceeded preseason expectations. I’d give Hurley and our staff plenty of credit.
The things that were weaknesses for Sanogo, Jackson, and Hawkins coming in are still weaknesses in year 3/2 (passing, scoring overall, handle).

Bouknight came in ready. I’m not exactly sure what he got better at in his second year outside of just being more confident with more of a green light (like Hawkins this year). But he was making game winning baskets in his first game. It’s not like he was Jeremy Lamb who really struggled at first and then was a completely different player by his sophomore year.

Clingan has come in ready. It’ll be interesting to see how much he develops next year. Especially because he has so much he can add to his game to be even better than he already is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Take the blinders off.,
What Tate did in his private life was wrong and he paid for it. I trust he understands the game of basketball better than you or I
BS The plan for CFjr was always to red shirt. He can barely get on the court now. As a17 year old freshman he would have been overwhelmed. Plus as far as Tate is concerned I wouldn't trust anything he says or does. The guy conned his friends.

Reaction Score
Take the blinders off.,

CFJ sucks. Nothing he said is accurate.

Reaction Score

This is nonsense. I'm as critical as anyone when it comes to Hurley's faults but if you don't think Cole, Martin, Whaley, Hawkins, Jackson, and Sanogo have developed under Hurley you're clueless.

Every player who left this past year left because they couldn't cut it here, they left for far inferior programs which were a much better fit for their skill level.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
This is nonsense. I'm as critical as anyone when it comes to Hurley's faults but if you don't think Cole, Martin, Whaley, Hawkins, Jackson, and Sanogo have developed under Hurley you're clueless.

Every player who left this past year left because they couldn't cut it here, they left for far inferior programs which were a much better fit for their skill level.
I’m not disputing any of the transfers.

To me, most of these cases of guys “developing” outside of Whaley are really just guys getting increased playing time and responsibility. Not actually having things they were originally bad at that they are now good at, on offense at least.

Prime example is year 3 and all Andre Jackson has to show for offensively is a 30% 3 point shooting percentage on wide open 3s. Jordan Hawkins knew he had to work on his handle over the summer and he still can’t get his own shot like that. Look at sophomore year Jeremy Lamb as a real example of how he probably should’ve came in this year as a scorer.

Thing is, those are things they NEED to have a long NBA future.

Reaction Score
Checked the box score on ESPN and Bouk is not on the roster tonight. G League? Has been gettin zero playing time

Reaction Score
I’m not disputing any of the transfers.

To me, most of these cases of guys “developing” outside of Whaley are really just guys getting increased playing time and responsibility. Not actually having things they were originally bad at that they are now good at, on offense at least.

Prime example is year 3 and all Andre Jackson has to show for offensively is a 30% 3 point shooting percentage on wide open 3s. Jordan Hawkins knew he had to work on his handle over the summer and he still can’t get his own shot like that. Look at sophomore year Jeremy Lamb as a real example of how he probably should’ve came in this year as a scorer.

Thing is, those are things they NEED to have a long NBA future.

Wow your post is crazy.

Hawkins handle HAS improved dramatically. You’re mixing up handle with working to get your own shot. One is related to the other, but they are different skill sets.

Andre’s year by year 3pt shot has gotten better.

Sanogo’s passing has gotten better.

For all but the top 0.1% elite athletes/players, these things take time, dude. And the contribution of coaching is relatively small compared to the amount of time the player is willing to devote to practicing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom