January: Update on former players | Page 8 | The Boneyard

January: Update on former players

Reaction Score
Believe it or not, each of these teams has played more than 5 games. Your point is silly and downright wrong. I'll find you some stats later. Enjoy the game.
That's our own coach saying that...and Hopkins continues to put up numbers like 20 and 10 each game. No knock on our guys that this guy is a superior talent.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230124-231444~2.png
    Screenshot_20230124-231444~2.png
    296.9 KB · Views: 180
Reaction Score
That's our own coach saying that...and Hopkins continues to put up numbers like 20 and 10 each game. No knock on our guys that this guy is a superior talent.

I was wondering if you'd pop back up with more goalpost changing. Let's recall your original statement, shall we?

Hopkins is considerably better than anyone on the UConn roster

This is the only point I ever argued, and for some reason you keep doubling down and changing the goalpost. Did you think I forgot?

1) Our coach said Hopkins was the better talent "tonight." That doesn't mean he think he's "considerably better" than everyone on our roster. It doesn't even mean he thinks he's just "better" than everyone on our roster. It means exactly what he said: he was better tonight. That is an accurate statement.

2) Even if PC has a decent record by the BET and Hopkins wins POY, that still doesn't mean he is "considerably better" than anyone on our roster. I'm wondering if you understand the word "considerably." I'll throw in the definition to help you out:

adverb
by a notably large amount or to a notably large extent; greatly

Feel free to scroll through every post I've made on this subject: I've never said Hopkins isn't a good player, or even a worse player than Hawkins or Sanogo. He probably deserves BE POY, and certainly will be First Team if they give it to a player whose team has a better record. That doesn't change the fact that Hopkins is not "considerably better" than our best players.

Let's look at Hawkins's, Sanogo's, and Hopkins's per 40 stats, shall we? Let's keep in mind that our strength of schedule is, in fact, "considerably better" than PCs at this point (6.18 vs 3.45). Conference-only stats aren't available yet on the site I use because of limited # of games.

Hawkins:
22.0/5.5/2.1 (41/39/85%). 1.4 STL, 0.7 BLK, 1.9 TO. 3.1 PF.
ORTG: 121 (higher is better)
DRTG: 94 (lower is better)

Sanogo: 26.6/11.0/2.0 (59/37/77%). 1.3 STL. 1.1 BLK. 3.0 TO. 4.3 PF.
ORTG: 121
DRTG: 90

Hopkins: 19.6/10.9/2.7 (49/37/74%) 0.9 STL. 0.6 BLKS. 3.2 TO. 2.8 PF.
ORTG: 115
DRTG: 98

Can you please point out to me where the "considerably better" player is here? Not your eye test, or some quote that only half-way proves your point from a month ago. Real, objective statistics.

Who is the considerably better player?

After drudging up a weeks-old post, I'd hope you had a slam dunk and not this soft and-1 at the rim. At least make it fun if you're going to argue about semantics dude.

Reaction Score
I was wondering if you'd pop back up with more goalpost changing. Let's recall your original statement, shall we?

This is the only point I ever argued, and for some reason you keep doubling down and changing the goalpost. Did you think I forgot?

1) Our coach said Hopkins was the better talent "tonight." That doesn't mean he think he's "considerably better" than everyone on our roster. It doesn't even mean he thinks he's just "better" than everyone on our roster. It means exactly what he said: he was better tonight. That is an accurate statement.

2) Even if PC has a decent record by the BET and Hopkins wins POY, that still doesn't mean he is "considerably better" than anyone on our roster. I'm wondering if you understand the word "considerably." I'll throw in the definition to help you out:

adverb

Feel free to scroll through every post I've made on this subject: I've never said Hopkins isn't a good player, or even a worse player than Hawkins or Sanogo. He probably deserves BE POY, and certainly will be First Team if they give it to a player whose team has a better record. That doesn't change the fact that Hopkins is not "considerably better" than our best players.

Let's look at Hawkins's, Sanogo's, and Hopkins's per 40 stats, shall we? Let's keep in mind that our strength of schedule is, in fact, "considerably better" than PCs at this point (6.18 vs 3.45). Conference-only stats aren't available yet on the site I use because of limited # of games.

Hawkins:

Can you please point out to me where the "considerably better" player is here? Not your eye test, or some quote that only half-way proves your point from a month ago. Real, objective statistics.

After drudging up a weeks-old post, I'd hope you had a slam dunk and not this soft and-1 at the rim. At least make it fun if you're going to argue about semantics dude.

Hopkins will certainly be first team all Big East, could be the conference player of the year AND is a better NBA prospect than any of our guys. If that's not enough for you, he has averaged 20 and 10 since you first stated that PC has half the talent UConn does. If anyone is off base here, it's certainly you.

Why don't you compare their stats in Big East Conference games? That would be far more telling, rather than including games against weak out of conference teams.
Screenshot_20230125-102815.png

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

adverb

Hawkins:

why are you using per40 stats when they all get enough playing time for their stats to be normal?

Hopkins clearly can get his own offense way better than Hawkins and Sanogo where one needs screens to be effective and Sanogo has struggled during BE play. Meanwhile Hopkins has been killing it and rebounds better than our center.

It’s weird how some people feel so confident to call someone’s take straight up stupid and then come back using per40 stats for starters and using word definitions to twist something you can clearly see on tape.

Somethings not stupid just because you don’t like it.

Reaction Score
Hopkins will certainly be first team all Big East, could be the conference player of the year AND is a better NBA prospect than any of our guys. If that's not enough for you, he has averaged 20 and 10 since you first stated that PC has half the talent UConn does. If anyone is off base here, it's certainly you.

Why don't you compare their stats in Big East Conference games? That would be far more telling.

You're a lost cause dude. You aren't even bothering to read my post. I wrote that CONFERENCE STATS AREN'T CALCULATED YET on the site I use, and I'm certainly not doing it by hand. Regardless, a full season of stats is much more telling than a few games since you decided to start this ridiculous argument.

Hopkins is not a better NBA prospect that Hawkins. He's not on a single draft mock that I looked at this morning, unlike Hawkins. Don't be ridiculous. Hawkins, Jones, and Whitmore are the best NBA prospects in the Big East and it isn't even close.

Are we arguing that "PC has half the talent UConn does" or are we arguing "Hopkins is considerably more talented than anyone on our roster." I'll gladly admit that I was exaggerating for effect when I said PC has half the talent UConn does. I hate PC. For some reason you are STILL doubling down on an ungodly stupid take that Hopkins is "considerably better" than anyone on our roster.

I'm done with this conversation now. Have a good one.

caw

Reaction Score

Why don't you compare their stats in Big East Conference games? That would be far more telling, rather than including games against weak out of conference teams.
View attachment 83420

This would be useful after all games have been played, schedule strength is too varied right now.

Reaction Score
You're a lost cause dude. You aren't even bothering to read my post. I wrote that CONFERENCE STATS AREN'T CALCULATED YET on the site I use, and I'm certainly not doing it by hand. Regardless, a full season of stats is much more telling than a few games since you decided to start this ridiculous argument.

Hopkins is not a better NBA prospect that Hawkins. He's not on a single draft mock that I looked at this morning, unlike Hawkins. Don't be ridiculous. Hawkins, Jones, and Whitmore are the best NBA prospects in the Big East and it isn't even close.

Are we arguing that "PC has half the talent UConn does" or are we arguing "Hopkins is considerably more talented than anyone on our roster." I'll gladly admit that I was exaggerating for effect when I said PC has half the talent UConn does. I hate PC. For some reason you are STILL doubling down on an ungodly stupid take that Hopkins is "considerably better" than anyone on our roster.

I'm done with this conversation now. Have a good one.

Look at what they have done against Big East competition (roughly 10 games into conference play ) OR head to head. Hopkins has been better than any of our guys in conference play, and it's not even close. Hopkins averages 18.6 ppg and 10.2 rpg in conference play. Sanogo averages 16.0 and 7.6 in conference play. Hopkins had 27 and 12 when they played head to head. Sanogo had 11 and 7 in that game. Whether you realize it or not, you are fighting an uphill battle.

Reaction Score
Look at what they have done against Big East competition (roughly 10 games into conference play ) OR head to head. Hopkins has been better than any of our guys in conference play, and it's not even close. Hopkins averages 18.6 ppg and 10.2 rpg in conference play. Sanogo averages 16.0 and 7.6 in conference play. Hopkins had 27 and 12 when they played head to head. Sanogo had 11 and 7 in that game. Whether you realize it or not, you are fighting an uphill battle.
You're entirely missing the point. Hopkins averaging 18 and 10 is better than Sanogo's 16 and 7. But the point is that it's not considerably better, it's marginally better

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I’ve been waiting for someone to say this. I agree 100% CBB is a sport in its own right. Highlights different skill sets etc. I also don’t view it as a prep league for the nba. Success in nba is an afterthought and I doubt Hurley is concerned with this either. He’d rather these kids stay more than a year.
I don’t mind if others care about this though. I just…well…the NBA…you know.
YOU may not care about the NBA, but the kids we want to play for us do.
The kids Hurley is after on the recruiting trail want to be developed and showcased for the NBA. They look at players we've put in the league, and judge how beneficial our program/coaches should be for them, based on 'our' pros performance. The more kids were get into the league, and the more successful they are there, the easier our coaching staff will find it to get serious interest from high level recruits. And high level recruits getting into the league in one or two years will foster more and higher level recruits in following seasons.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

View attachment 83420
i saw soriano when he was on fordham. meh, a bigger guy who did chase boards, but again, meh. now, he's 18 and 12 in the league?!?!?!
say what? how is this possible? i do give him credit for being smart by taking every opportunity along his career path, but 18/12? he did demonstrate an amazing tenacity against us, once again seizing opportunity, which i highly admire in anyone.
then i wake up and remember that a grand total of one player from the league was drafted last year. one.
yup, nothing but future nba allstars on every team in this league, or so im told.
hop is a star and zach is a handful, with this season acting as a reminder that he was once all-league. looks like he will be again. hopefully, mebbe expectedly, alex karaban can become him. so far, so good, on that.

Reaction Score
The kids Hurley is after on the recruiting trail want to be developed and showcased for the NBA. They look at players we've put in the league, and judge how beneficial our program/coaches should be for them, based on 'our' pros performance. The more kids were get into the league, and the more successful they are there, the easier our coaching staff will find it to get serious interest from high level recruits. And high level recruits getting into the league in one or two years will foster more and higher level recruits in following seasons.
We have a top 5 recruiting class coming in with only James Bouknight’s less than stellar nba career as a signpost. Sure, nba success matters, but there is no definite direct correlation for successful college programs. It’s just one of many things. But I agree, the more we put in the nba it can only help.

Reaction Score
You're entirely missing the point. Hopkins averaging 18 and 10 is better than Sanogo's 16 and 7. But the point is that it's not considerably better, it's marginally better

He's a lost cause.

Reaction Score

I just want to add that the way our offense showcases players matters too. We can point to game film and very specifically say: "we will put you in position to impact winning and improve your skills." Kids that I helped with recruiting (not top-100 players obviously) were always really focused on playing time, development, and how kids with similar skills were showcased in the offense.

Andre isn't probably going to the league, but showing how we use big 6'7 player as a PG was important in getting Castle to come here.

You get the idea.

I do wonder how much NIL will affect things though. I wonder if kids will go to a school that isn't the best fit for their skill set or development because they'll get more money.

Reaction Score
@RichZ but I must add, I am bitter because I used to love the NBA. So anything I say about comes from very little knowledge. I don't watch it at all.

Reaction Score
18.6 and 10.2 on a 7-2 team is considerably better than 16.0 and 7.6 on a 5-5 team in conference play. Especially when you consider 27 and 12 versus 11 and 7 when they played head to head. Hopkins leads the conference in scoring and is second in rebounding despite being only 6 ft 7". He averages 34% more rebounds and 16% more points than sonogo. I would claim that that's pretty significant and one of the reasons why Providence is three games ahead of UConn in the conference standings.

Reaction Score
Just came to this page expecting to see some content about how we are pulling for Adams and Gaffney in their new roles. I see Adams has a good shot at hitting 1k points, so happy for him even if his teams stinks and then Gaffney should be playing in the tournament this year if all goes according to plan

Reaction Score
CFJ had 12 off the bench last night against butler. Season high in minutes, points, and FGM

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
stop me if u've heard this before. Fau wins, now 20-1.
as usual, jalen and vlad put in cameos (15 and 20 minutes) in a game won before the tip.
top assists for the game by either team was 3. jalen had 3, while missing the 3 shots he took.
vlad grabbed 9 boards, and then hit the pine to catch some zzzz's.
when appropriate, coach may gets everyone out there - esprit de corps, methinks.
9 guys got double digit time.

Reaction Score
as usual, jalen and vlad put in cameos (15 and 20 minutes) in a game won before the tip.
top assists for the game by either team was 3. jalen had 3, while missing the 3 shots he took.
when appropriate, coach may gets everyone out there - esprit de corps, methinks.
from the FAU message board:

"While his numbers don't necessarily jump off the stat sheet, Jalen Gaffney has been a major contributor to the Owls' success since transferring from UConn last year. Starting in 16 out of 20 games, he is averaging 5.4 points, 2.7 rebounds, and 2.4 assists on 37% shooting from the field and 37% from beyond the arc."

"We knew he was a veteran guard that had been in big moments and was a great team player. He was looking for what we provided, a great culture with guys who are like-minded," May said. "He's just really unselfish and he doesn't care about scoring. He just wants to make the right play and he makes everyone on the court better when he's out there.""

1674787381201.png

Reaction Score
Jalen Gaffney will be ranked higher than UConn on Monday, I’m going to be sick

Reaction Score
What’s crazy about FAU’s success is that the C-USA is the best it’s been on a few years so I argue their record is more impressive than Charleston’s..

Reaction Score
Honestly turned it on last night about half way through the first half and first offensive play I saw for FAU was a pass to Gaff on the wing he went hard to middle for a floater and it was swatted back at him. Not that it was the way he played I just thought it to be - "oh yeah that's gaff" LOL

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom