January: Update on former players | Page 6 | The Boneyard

January: Update on former players

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Seriously. Once in a while I'll log out to see who's spewing nonsense again, and he's one of 2 or 3 that manage to cause 90% of the pages-long disputes on here.
I’ve actually been pretty good about it since the season started :cool:

Reaction Score
So you don’t know how the NBA works huh?

it’s not on those coaches. They’re suppose to be pros at that point. No more hand holding.

It’s on their college coaches to give them the skills necessary to succeed. That’s why coaches like Calhoun, Coach K, and Cal (ew but still) had those reps for getting players ready for the pros.

Coaches like those are the difference between being an All Star or being a UNC player from this century.
Ah yes, when I think of guys who really develop players with the skills they need I think of Calipari. You know, the guy who gets all the top 10 recruits, mismanages the crap out of them to the point that they underperform relative to their expectations significantly, then go to the NBA after one year. Calipari really teaches them new skills and develops their game in the 5 months they're on campus. Give me a break dude. You think Jimmy Butler was a pro when he came into the league averaging 2 pts in his rookie season and 8 in his second year? How about the famous Ason Kidd who didn't develop a J until he got to the NBA. Steph Curry didnt improve his skills exponentially in the NBA to get where he is today? That's gotta be the dumbest argument on the boneyard, which is saying something

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Ah yes, when I think of guys who really develop players with the skills they need I think of Calipari. You know, the guy who gets all the top 10 recruits, mismanages the crap out of them to the point that they underperform relative to their expectations significantly, then go to the NBA after one year. Calipari really teaches them new skills and develops their game in the 5 months they're on campus. Give me a break dude. You think Jimmy Butler was a pro when he came into the league averaging 2 pts in his rookie season and 8 in his second year? How about the famous Ason Kidd who didn't develop a J until he got to the NBA. Steph Curry didnt improve his skills exponentially in the NBA to get where he is today? That's gotta be the dumbest argument on the boneyard, which is saying something
Say what you want about Cal but Roy got the same recruits and where are they.

Cal system gets them ready. Even if they don’t win games while in school.

Of course there’s going to be those stories about guys working their way to be a great player too and that has nothing to do with the NBA coaches.

Doesn’t mean there’s not clear data that shows college coaches can affect how good you can or can’t be in the NBA. That’s something we were very proud of with Calhoun.

Now excuse me while I was my tongue for you making me talk well about Cal.

Reaction Score
Say what you want about Cal but Roy got the same recruits and where are they.

Cal system gets them ready. Even if they don’t win games while in school.

Of course there’s going to be those stories about guys working their way to be a great player too and that has nothing to do with the NBA coaches.

Doesn’t mean there’s not clear data that shows college coaches can affect how good you can or can’t be in the NBA. That’s something we were very proud of with Calhoun.

Now excuse me while I was my tongue for you making me talk well about Cal.
Roy recruiting was not as good as you remember over the last decade after the grades scandals. He had some really mediocre to bad even classes from 2015-2017. Their recruiting was way worse than Calipari's overall. Even before and after that stretch, they'd generally get 1 5* and maybe another top 50 kid. Nowhere near like Cal's 3+ 5*s every year.

Reaction Score
Well, the quality of the teams pick up
But this year did it really? He's in CUSA. He had 2 points against FIU, KenPom #240 conference foe. I will granit you North Texas and UAB are better.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Roy recruiting was not as good as you remember over the last decade after the grades scandals. He had some really mediocre to bad even classes from 2015-2017. Their recruiting was way worse than Calipari's overall. Even before and after that stretch, they'd generally get 1 5* and maybe another top 50 kid. Nowhere near like Cal's 3+ 5*s every year.
Why do y’all keep trying to point out these small details that doesn’t change the overall arguement. Okay he had 3 bad classes in 20 years so that excuses him from having no NBA All Stars with everyone else since 98. With all the talent that had walked through those doors in 20+ years not one. That’s someone who simply does not know how to prepare a kid for the NBA.

He pulled in top 3 Nassir Little in 2018. Top 5 Cole Anthony afterwards and more. So even after that bad stretch it was back to business as usual not developing very talented players into successful pros. Is Little even on a team?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I'm reading your contribution to this thread as your intention to boost the mojo for tonight's game.
Maybe all my hooting and hollering over the off-season boosted the start of the season. I’ll take that and be happy to do my part whenever we get in a rut.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
There might be a scholarship crunch if AS, AJ, and JH or 1 or 2 of them decide to come back next year - not to mention a minutes crunch.
Would imagine no matter what Sanogo is gone and Hawkins is gone. Neither of them could add to their draft stock any more. I could see Andre coming back.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Yeah once you get active with that ignore button you quickly realize how little value there is in listening to idiots’ opinions

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Imagine giving Cal credit for developing Anthony Davis, John Wall and Derrick Rose.
Imagine how stupid you have to be to think it’s just those guys when talking about Kentucky players. Like there’s not a star on almost every team in the NBA.

Stop saying stupid things that make me say obvious stuff about Cal. He’s dirty, he can’t win, but he knows what it takes to play in the NBA clearly.

Reaction Score
We had a point guard in Diggins last year. Unfortunately he was not given the opportunity. I know this is water under the bridge but he was someone who could get to the basket. He wanted to be the next great point guard at UConn. Another painful loss tonight. This team is good and plays hard but the guard play is less than stellar. You don't win in the Big East without good guard play or in the Post Season. Lets hope there is someone who steps up and can take over that role for us.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
So Florida Atlantic is now 14-1 and sits atop Conference USA. However, Jalen Gaffney has hit a wall or something scoring a TOTAL of 9 points over the past five games.
now 15-1, winning on the road in overtime.
and, like last game, jmoney led both teams in assists, playing, as usual, top minutes.
his job is to be Leonard Bernstein for the gang on the floor.
he's crushing it, 15-1, and the squad is getting near top 10 in net. i don't care aboot nutnet, imma eyeball kind of sort. did i mention that they're 15-1?
tell auror both were conference games.
yo j. yo j! how u feelin?

thanks for this beat lenny.

hey poster and syncophants! y u sooo madddd?

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
These 2 sentences make zero sense next to each other. He couldn't develop guys but they were too talented in years 3 and 4 with his players? Sure sounds like these championship winning players developed from that description
Stop being dense.

Under Calhoun, Coach K, and Squid, those same players don’t make it to a year 3 or 4. Because they’d develop enough to be NBA players. You never saw Calhoun get a 5* for that long because he coached them way too well to need college for that long.

You clearly don’t know what actual player development is if you don’t think it’s a problem for guys that talented to be consistently around in year 3 and 4. Check his championship teams, it’s always the formula.

The other coaches don’t get that privilege because they’re actually good at their jobs of preparing guys for the league.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
We had a point guard in Diggins last year. Unfortunately he was not given the opportunity. I know this is water under the bridge but he was someone who could get to the basket. He wanted to be the next great point guard at UConn. Another painful loss tonight. This team is good and plays hard but the guard play is less than stellar. You don't win in the Big East without good guard play or in the Post Season. Lets hope there is someone who steps up and can take over that role for us.
I don't know which is more entertaining, the idea that we're missing out by not having Diggins, or your handle spelling.

Reaction Score

I'm going to assume you're trolling here, but for the people who are reading this and won't assume you're trolling, Rahsool Diggins is currently averaging 3 points, 2 assists, and 1 rebound shooting 27% FG, 22% 3P, and 17% FT at UMass

Reaction Score
Stop being dense.

Under Calhoun, Coach K, and Squid, those same players don’t make it to a year 3 or 4. Because they’d develop enough to be NBA players. You never saw Calhoun get a 5* for that long because he coached them way too well to need college for that long.

You clearly don’t know what actual player development is if you don’t think it’s a problem for guys that talented to be consistently around in year 3 and 4. Check his championship teams, it’s always the formula.

The other coaches don’t get that privilege because they’re actually good at their jobs of preparing guys for the league.
Their job is to win games and national championships. It's why Kentucky's fanbase and the school look to be done with Calipari. He can pretend all he wants that his job is to put guys in the NBA and not to win it all but that's a cop out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom