Jalen Carey Talks Final Three | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jalen Carey Talks Final Three

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I heard his ability is on par with boatright.

I watched a few of his games. He takes similar shots, but does not MAKE similar shots. Boneyard delusion is kind of ignoring how abysmal he shot inside the arc in eybl. Something like 35% i believe.

Extremely left hand dominant. Will easily have that taken away in d1 basketball. Not the kind of athlete as boatright and doesnt create his shot as well at this stage.

He certainly has boatright potential but he has gotta work for it. I think he has more natural pg ability and his confidence is great. Nice feel for the game and good defense when he wants to. Great addition, but we shouldnt be fooling ourselves into thinking this kid is a 15 point scorer just yet.

Reaction Score
If you're talking about Akinjo, he has a completely different game than Boat. Akinjo probably a better passer, Boat is on an entirely different level athletically.

C

Chief00

Thanks for the update. This is part of what I was talking about in the other Carey thread. Sports Parents who don't have a clue what they're talking about. It's a freaking epidemic.
His Dad is a good guy and knows BB pretty good.
Ultimately, do you want to select a team or conference?
Given our situation, this is an example of how Lew's cash cow home scheduling no longer works. We need to schedule good OOC teams that sellout and play home and home vs cupcakes where we only get 7k fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
So this is the buzz I am hearing. Dad is big into the acc. Wants his kid playing against duke and unc on tv. Not Tulane or central Florida. Very important to dad. Could be talk ..... It sound very close between cuse and uconn . Could go either way.

I know you're just passing along what you're hearing, but I love how every time the conferences come up UNC and Duke are immediately pitted against the two worst AAC schools we can think of. The optics are bad enough without the false equivalences.

Anyway, the ACC is an enormous advantage, but I also think there is something to be said for the fact that Cuse is a second class citizen in their league while we're by far the biggest brand in the American. That means every time a high profile tournament needs to choose a team from your league, you're going to be chosen. It means every time a TV network needs to meet their quotient for games (i.e. the AAC needs six CBS games a year), you're going to be chosen. It also means you're going to be on TV every game rather than buried on the ACC network because Louisville is playing Duke on the prime time slot.

Also given the fact that college basketball isn't really a thing for the vast majority of sports fans aside from maybe a couple weeks in November and March, and the benefits of your son playing in the ACC can be overstated. Would you rather be drawing a handful of die-hards on ESPN in January or do you want the whole world watching on CBS in April? Again, not saying conference isn't a huge factor, I just don't think it should be the biggest one.

Reaction Score
carey and gilbert would start

Unless UConn would go with 3 guards, I doubt Carey would start as a freshman. Next season I'd expect Gilbert, Vital, Wilson, Diarra, Cobb starting with Carey first off the bench.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Skills (at that time for Boat) or physical attributes (speed and explosiveness)? Would that he had the heart of Boat; that would be awesome. It sounds like Akinjo has that kind of heart based on what has been posted. All of this is pretty wild. What a pack of guards!

Reaction Score
Skills (at that time for Boat) or physical attributes (speed and explosiveness)? Would that he had the heart of Boat; that would be awesome. It sounds like Akinjo has that kind of heart based on what has been posted. All of this is pretty wild. What a pack of guards!

Level of talent coming out high school. I was talking talent not individual ability. Sorry if I miss spoke

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This is the age of sports free agency roulette, all that the incoming impact players really care about at the end of the day is: exposure (E) x play time (T).

E x T = P (the pitch, or what the program in question is offering the incoming impact player)

*note: I found the above equation scribbled in between mad ramblings in Chief00's Briefs notebook.

At the end of the day UConn and Cuse offer similar exposure to a kid like Carey, the deciding factor will be whose pitch for play time he and his camp accept as truth. It's up to KO to sell his multi guard system that never adheres to the traditional 1 and 2 spots exclusively for guards, and that at times 4 ball handlers and play makers could be on the court together. If Carey and his camp continue to harp on his insistence on filling a certain positional role like we saw on the Zags article then I would think it hurts our chances since Cuse has less options at what he claims to want.

There needs to be a variable around % of getting guys into the League in there. Coaching, NBA experience, number and caliber of Alums in the League factor into this as well.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
My crystal ball says he picks Syracuse and then wants to transfer here down the road.

If we're gonna stick with the transfer model, this sure beats relying on 5th year guys.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
So this is the buzz I am hearing. Dad is big into the acc. Wants his kid playing against duke and unc on tv. Not Tulane or central Florida. Very important to dad. Could be talk ..... It sound very close between cuse and uconn . Could go either way.

Not knocking Jalen's dad per se, but I'm really hating how every parent seems to lean another way. Infuriating.

One thing about JC (and yes, he had the BE and HOF resume) was that he was the God of the home visit. JC could close a kid's parents like no man.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I know you're just passing along what you're hearing, but I love how every time the conferences come up UNC and Duke are immediately pitted against the two worst AAC schools we can think of. The optics are bad enough without the false equivalences.

Anyway, the ACC is an enormous advantage, but I also think there is something to be said for the fact that Cuse is a second class citizen in their league while we're by far the biggest brand in the American. That means every time a high profile tournament needs to choose a team from your league, you're going to be chosen. It means every time a TV network needs to meet their quotient for games (i.e. the AAC needs six CBS games a year), you're going to be chosen. It also means you're going to be on TV every game rather than buried on the ACC network because Louisville is playing Duke on the prime time slot.

Also given the fact that college basketball isn't really a thing for the vast majority of sports fans aside from maybe a couple weeks in November and March, and the benefits of your son playing in the ACC can be overstated. Would you rather be drawing a handful of die-hards on ESPN in January or do you want the whole world watching on CBS in April? Again, not saying conference isn't a huge factor, I just don't think it should be the biggest one.

This is likely all true. but unfortunately, this subtlety is lost on most high school kids and parents.

Reaction Score
I get the attraction of playing vs UNC/Duke on national TV...it must be awesome as a player and a parent. But it has absolutely no impact on the NBA. In today's NBA, they will find you and dissect you to the nth degree regardless of where you are playing. I would argue that it's far easier for Danny Ainge to pop in on a Tuesday night in Storrs than in Syracuse.

Unless you are a lottery pick, the real money to be made in the NBA is your second contract -- that's where you set yourself up for life. If I was KO & Company, I'd be telling Dad that while playing in Raleigh a couple times might be really cool, what is actually amazing is the thought that your grandkids may never have to work a day in their lives. And if you focus on this as the real goal here, then you should be prioritizing coaching, and especially learning how to be a plus defender -- because that's how your son will reach his 2nd and 3rd NBA contracts.

Reaction Score
Yup.. OK so this is what I'm hearing on the Yukon side. The staff is selling the family the he will be the new Kamba and shahbaz. Gilbert will run the show for a year With carey and eventually after a year or 2 he would run the show .
No UConn fan ever spells it Yukon. That's the disrespectful way other teams' fans spell it. I cringed when I read that. Are you a closet Syracuse fan? Lol

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I get the attraction of playing vs UNC/Duke on national TV...it must be awesome as a player and a parent. But it has absolutely no impact on the NBA. In today's NBA, they will find you and dissect you to the nth degree regardless of where you are playing. I would argue that it's far easier for Danny Ainge to pop in on a Tuesday night in Storrs than in Syracuse.

Unless you are a lottery pick, the real money to be made in the NBA is your second contract -- that's where you set yourself up for life. If I was KO & Company, I'd be telling Dad that while playing in Raleigh a couple times might be really cool, what is actually amazing is the thought that your grandkids may never have to work a day in their lives. And if you focus on this as the real goal here, then you should be prioritizing coaching, and especially learning how to be a plus defender -- because that's how your son will reach his 2nd and 3rd NBA contracts.

Which is why I say parents talking about valuing that are either clueless or making it about them.

Reaction Score

@husky99 awesome input, thanks!

Hearing anything about Miami, or are they effectively out of it? I read the post above as signaling a 50/50 chance for us. Is that correct, or is there still a slight Cuse lean?

Reaction Score
His Dad is a good guy and knows BB pretty good.
Ultimately, do you want to select a team or conference?
Given our situation, this is an example of how Lew's cash cow home scheduling no longer works. We need to schedule good OOC teams that sellout and play home and home vs cupcakes where we only get 7k fans.

Cuse's ooc is a disgrace every year.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Rather than making it about what you want?

How about what the kid wants? If the kid wants to play in Cameron and where the ceiling is the floor, great. But if the parent is the one pushing it....then it's probably about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom