Jalen Carey Talks Final Three | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Jalen Carey Talks Final Three

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So, I guess the takeaway here is that Cuse is consistently able to get marginal talent drafted in the first round. We have so many guys we've gotten who were ranked from 40-75 who wound up as first round picks.

Well now, let's not let facts get in the way of a nice sounding argument, but just for laughs, let's run down the recruiting profiles of your 10 1sr rounders and see how many "diamonds in the rough" Boeheim developed into first round flops.

Donte Greene #7 overall 5*
Jonny Flynn - 18 overall 5*
Wesley Johnson- transfer 1 year at Syracuse
Waiters - 29 overall 5th rated SG
Fab Melo- 14 overall #2C 5*
MCW - 29 overall #7 position
Tyler Ennis - 22 overall 5*
Chris McCullough - 19 overall 5*
Malachi - 32 overall #5 SG
Lydon - 64 overall

Only 1 of the 10 fits into your 40-75 range.......Keep on digging

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Well now, let's not let facts get in the way of a nice sounding argument, but just for laughs, let's run down the recruiting profiles of your 10 1sr rounders and see how many "diamonds in the rough" Boeheim developed into first round flops.

Lydon - 64 overall

Only 1 of the 10 fits into your 40-75 range..Keep on digging

I was immediately questioning his point and I was positive at least 5 of those guys were 5* guys but I didn't know and didn't wanna look into it. Thanks for doing the work.

Not many of his lesser ranked or known recruits usually become studs, from my personal recollection.

I always think that aspect of him as a coach is incredibly overrated. I don't see any of these guys developing tremendously, but hey that's just me.

Reaction Score
Ultimately, do you want to select a team or conference?
I liked this post for this line only because this is actually how KO should be framing the AAC situation. [Along with a consistently strong OOC]

Are you picking a team, or a conference? A family, or a conference? Tradition, or a conference? And oh by the way, a conference in which you MAY finish in the top half? Be the missing piece here, at UConn; help us win a conference championship and do some damage in March.

Reaction Score
It is actually 10 in the last 10 years, but so many of Syracuse's picks are so forgettable that I can't fault you for leaving one off.

Donte Greene - 4 years and done
Jonny Flynn - 6th overall - 3 years and done
Wesley Johnson - 4th overall - hanging on with Clippers 2.7 ppg in 2016
Waiters - the best of the 10. 13 ppg for career, 15 ppg in 2016-2017
Fab Melo - No Comment
Micheal Carter Willians - 11th overall ROY on historically weak Philly team. 5 teams in 5 years. Kemba's back up now if he stays w/ Charlotte
Tyler Ennis - 18th overall - 7 teams in 3 years. 4.2 ppg. May hold on w/ Lakers
Chris McCullough - 2 years, traded to Wizards 3.7 ppg
Malachi Richardson - TBD - 3.6 ppg in 22 games
Tyler Lydon - TBD

UConn's Picks in last 10 years

Drummond - 9th overall - Career double/double 13 ppg and 13 rpg - All star game appearance
Lamb - 12th overall - 2 teams in 5 years 8.0 ppg for career, 9.7 ppg in 2016-2017
Walker - 18.4 ppg and rising. 23.3 ppg in 2016-17 - All star game appearance
Thabeet - 2nd overall - No Comment
Shabazz - 3 teams in 3 years, found place in Portland w/ guaranteed deal for 2017 - 4.3 ppg - Similar career to most Syracuse first rounders.

Didn't do the calcs, but most likely that the 5 UConn players have cumulatively outscored and out rebounded the 10 Syracuse players in their NBA careers.
Are you @UConnStats awesome geological relative?

Reaction Score

Lydon - 64 overall

Savage

Reaction Score
Congrats uconn.

This is a funny thread from the orange board from Jan 2014 making of UConn.

Its an early Christmas present to the boneyard.

"their back court is the most over rated in the country, yes. Great back courts don't lose to Stanford at home and Houston on the road. Let alone when Houston was missing 3 starters."
Is that you sdhusky?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Lydon - 64 overall

#poorCuseFan4>1

Reaction Score

Lydon - 64 overall

Mic drop.

Reaction Score
Are you @UConnStats awesome geological relative?

No relation to a stats guy. My job revolves around data and valid supportable conclusions based on that data. It pisses me off at work, in politics, science, sports or any other part of life when people blab "facts" that aren't supported by the data. I knew from the start that IthacaMatt's comments seemed weak, but I had no idea what the true data would show. The true data was actually worse from a Syracuse perspective than I thought.

C

Chief00

I liked this post for this line only because this is actually how KO should be framing the AAC situation. [Along with a consistently strong OOC]

Are you picking a team, or a conference? A family, or a conference? Tradition, or a conference? And oh by the way, a conference in which you MAY finish in the top half? Be the missing piece here, at UConn; help us win a conference championship and do some damage in March.

There are plenty of great examples of lousy teams in good conferences and the overall experience around those teams is not good.

But that’s almost besides the point - go dancing in March and get to The League and be NBA ready - UConn can do that.

As far as regular season - being in the AAC - you got to play a phenomenal OOC schedule and hope you win some of those games to accomplish my second paragraph. If a recruit goes to a great home game he doesn’t care if it’s OOC or conference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
So, who had a better 2014 season - SU with their win over Duke in Feb AND getting Ennis drafted or UConn with another UConn National Championship?

Honest question.

No question the National Championships win.
But I wouldn't trade futures with you for any price.

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Really? Do you think SU win 3 NC's in your lifetime? 4?

How old are you?

Boeheim is going to leave and ask Indiana how they are doing.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Are you claiming that the Picker's son is going to be the salvation?

Reaction Score
Really? Do you think SU win 3 NC's in your lifetime? 4?

How old are you?

Boeheim is going to leave and ask Indiana how they are doing.

We came within a lucky shot and a now-defunct rule of winning in '87. (Clock would have stopped with 4 seconds left, our ball, down 1 under current rules.)

We ran into the best college team of probably the last 30 years in the '96 Final, and were within a couple buckets when Wallace fouled out on a phantom call with under 3 minutes to play.

We probably would have met Kentucky in the 2010 Final, if Arinze Onuaku had not blown out his knee right before the NCAA tournament. We still made the Regional Final without him.

In 2012, we were robbed of another Final Four in a horribly unfairly officiated game against Sullinger's Ohio State team, without Fab Melo, because of ESPN's bullteat sensationalizing of the Bernie Fine extortion case by that former ball boy. Melo, just to be clear, had already been suspended during the regular season for the very same thing they suspended him for a second time on the eve of the tournament.

So it's not like we haven't been close multiple other times. The last 2 trips to the Final Four, we were lucky to be there. Neither 2013 or 2016 were among our better teams. Both had clear flaws.

Reaction Score

What do you have a crystal ball? We won a NC in our first year in the AAC. This is (and many other reasons) why you and your fanbase are a bunch of jealous delusional clowns. You have no idea what the future holds for either program. You guys could easily become the basement dwellers of the ACC especially when JB leaves. But the good money says UConn will keep winning NC's and Cuse won't. Why? 4>1

Reaction Score
We came within a lucky shot and a now-defunct rule of winning in '87. (Clock would have stopped with 4 seconds left, our ball, down 1 under current rules.)

We ran into the best college team of probably the last 30 years in the '96 Final, and were within a couple buckets when Wallace fouled out on a phantom call with under 3 minutes to play.

We probably would have met Kentucky in the 2010 Final, if Arinze Onuaku had not blown out his knee right before the NCAA tournament. We still made the Regional Final without him.

In 2012, we were robbed of another Final Four in a horribly unfairly officiated game against Sullinger's Ohio State team, without Fab Melo, because of ESPN's bullteat sensationalizing of the Bernie Fine extortion case by that former ball boy. Melo, just to be clear, had already been suspended during the regular season for the very same thing they suspended him for a second time on the eve of the tournament.

So it's not like we haven't been close multiple other times. The last 2 trips to the Final Four, we were lucky to be there. Neither 2013 or 2016 were among our better teams. Both had clear flaws.

If my Aunt Ida had balls my God she would have been my Uncle Freddy.:eek:

Maybe someone else will take the time to offer how many of similar "almosts" we have since 1989-90 again we blow you away but no matter when all is said and done 4>1

Reaction Score

Thanks your tears taste delicious...

scoobydoo

Reaction Score

Avoiding my question, eh?

Boeheim is a great coach. No doubt and if he landed Olander, he'd have another couple of NC's

But, you were saying futures... getting another guy who can win in a concrete bunker might not be easy.

Reaction Score
What do you have a crystal ball? We won a NC in our first year in the AAC. This is (and many other reasons) why you and your fanbase are a bunch of jealous delusional clowns. You have no idea what the future holds for either program. You guys could easily become the basement dwellers of the ACC especially when JB leaves. But the good money says UConn will keep winning NC's and Cuse won't. Why? 4>1

How have you done the last 3 years, as the reality of being in the AACK! Conference is settling in? You've lost 43 games in that time. Is Ollie's seat getting warm yet?

How has your recruiting been trending lately? I see you guys were pretty pumped about getting a top 100 guy recently. Congrats! Your days of elite recruiting are over, unless a P5 lifeline comes along before too much longer.

Soon, your hoops team will be on par with your football program.

That's what I see in my crystal ball, since you asked.

When JB leaves, we will still have an arena that seats over 30,000 and one of the most profitable athletic programs in the country. You will still be playing in a mid-major on-campus arena the size of the one we outgrew at the end of the 1970s. And you will play your "premier" marquee matchups against Cinci, Memphis and Temple in Hartford 40 minutes off campus.

Reaction Score
It could/should be 4>0.

The NCAA gave Cuse an absolute gift by not vacating their lone title even though they were cited for lack of institutional control beginning 2 years prior, and very likely won that title with players who should have been suspended.

scoobydoo

Reaction Score
How have you done the last 3 years, as the reality of being in the AACK! Conference is settling in? You've lost 43 games in that time. Is Ollie's seat getting warm yet?

How has your recruiting been trending lately? I see you guys were pretty pumped about getting a top 100 guy recently. Congrats! Your days of elite recruiting are over, unless a P5 lifeline comes along before too much longer.

Soon, your hoops team will be on par with your football program.

That's what I see in my crystal ball, since you asked.

It weird to think that in our time with Ollie in the AAC, UConn has an many NC's as Syracuse does in 100 years.

At what point do you guys figure out that every time you predict our demise - starting with after the 1990 dream season - we just go on and on and on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom