Jalen Carey Talks Final Three | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Jalen Carey Talks Final Three

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And yet Syracuse has had 9 first round picks in the last 10 years.
How many kids has Ollie gotten drafted? One, right? And that kid played his first 2 years for Calhoun, didn't he?

As implied and explicit ... for 40+ years, Syracuse has had the good fortune of having a guy who loved to live in the 315 area code ... which was am improvement over where he grew up. That day he leaves is approaching. I think that is the relevant topic in a comparable. WE had a HOF coach ... and then WE won a National Championship after he left. For me, Kevin Ollie is still a young coach and we are approaching one of the most important years of our history. KO can recruit. Your Bill Guthridge years are coming.

Reaction Score
How many kids has Ollie gotten drafted? One, right? And that kid played his first 2 years for Calhoun, didn't he?

It is actually 10 in the last 10 years, but so many of Syracuse's picks are so forgettable that I can't fault you for leaving one off.

Donte Greene - 4 years and done
Jonny Flynn - 6th overall - 3 years and done
Wesley Johnson - 4th overall - hanging on with Clippers 2.7 ppg in 2016
Waiters - the best of the 10. 13 ppg for career, 15 ppg in 2016-2017
Fab Melo - No Comment
Micheal Carter Willians - 11th overall ROY on historically weak Philly team. 5 teams in 5 years. Kemba's back up now if he stays w/ Charlotte
Tyler Ennis - 18th overall - 7 teams in 3 years. 4.2 ppg. May hold on w/ Lakers
Chris McCullough - 2 years, traded to Wizards 3.7 ppg
Malachi Richardson - TBD - 3.6 ppg in 22 games
Tyler Lydon - TBD

UConn's Picks in last 10 years

Drummond - 9th overall - Career double/double 13 ppg and 13 rpg - All star game appearance
Lamb - 12th overall - 2 teams in 5 years 8.0 ppg for career, 9.7 ppg in 2016-2017
Walker - 18.4 ppg and rising. 23.3 ppg in 2016-17 - All star game appearance
Thabeet - 2nd overall - No Comment
Shabazz - 3 teams in 3 years, found place in Portland w/ guaranteed deal for 2017 - 4.3 ppg - Similar career to most Syracuse first rounders.

Didn't do the calcs, but most likely that the 5 UConn players have cumulatively outscored and out rebounded the 10 Syracuse players in their NBA careers.

Reaction Score
It is actually 10 in the last 10 years, but so many of Syracuse's picks are so forgettable that I can't fault you for leaving one off.

Fab Melo - No Comment
Micheal Carter Willians - 11th overall ROY on historically weak Philly team. 5 teams in 5 years. Kemba's back up now if he stays w/ Charlotte
Tyler Lydon - TBD

Drummond - 9th overall - Career double/double 13 ppg and 13 rpg - All star game appearance
Lamb - 12th overall - 2 teams in 5 years 8.0 ppg for career, 9.7 ppg in 2016-2017
Shabazz - 3 teams in 3 years, found place in Portland w/ guaranteed deal for 2017 - 4.3 ppg - Similar career to most Syracuse first rounders.

Didn't do the calcs, but most likely that the 5 UConn players have cumulatively outscored and out rebounded the 10 Syracuse players in their NBA careers.

Touche UconnRock. Touche.

Reaction Score

It's always cute when these little orange idiots make their way to a championship hoops board isn't it? It must be so overwhelming to them...

Reaction Score

Fab Melo - No Comment
Tyler Lydon - TBD

So, I guess the takeaway here is that Cuse is consistently able to get marginal talent drafted in the first round. We have so many guys we've gotten who were ranked from 40-75 who wound up as first round picks.

Reaction Score
Ollie also hasnt been coaching for ten years. Wasnt the best comparison...

Reaction Score

Fab Melo - No Comment
Tyler Lydon - TBD

If you're going back 10 years, shouldn't people like AJ Price and Jeff Adrien be included?

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
So, I guess the takeaway here is that Cuse is consistently able to get marginal talent drafted in the first round. We have so many guys we've gotten who were ranked from 40-75 who wound up as first round picks.

Question: Do you think its as exciting for a SU fan to watch the NBA draft as it is for a UConn fan watch 4 NC's?

scoobydoo

Reaction Score

So, who had a better 2014 season - SU with their win over Duke in Feb AND getting Ennis drafted or UConn with another UConn National Championship?

Honest question.

Reaction Score

This is a preposterously bad collection of NBA players. Holy s---! I knew it was bad but actually seeing it on paper is eye opening.

It definitely helps when you can sell a recruit on developing him for the NBA but hopefully for your sake, Boeheim isn't naming the actual players. The way you guys have been recruiting, he probably has been.

Reaction Score
So, who had a better 2014 season - SU with their win over Duke in Feb AND getting Ennis drafted or UConn with another UConn National Championship?

Honest question.
For the fans like us and the Cuse fans, championships matter most, even more than conference affiliation (try getting Cuse fans to admit that though).
For these recruits I'm not sure how much they care about team accomplishments over what-can-you-do-for-me

scoobydoo

Reaction Score
For the fans like us and the Cuse fans, championships matter most, even more than conference affiliation (try getting Cuse fans to admit that though).
For these recruits I'm not sure how much they care about team accomplishments over what-can-you-do-for-me

Right and I'm assuming @IthacaMatt is a fan and not a recruit.

For SU fans, draft night is their most exciting moment.
For BCU fans, its the day their AD goes to the bank with their ACC check.
For UConn fans, its watching National Championship W's.

I wonder if SU fans have made a "one shining moment" for when Ennis got drafteds

Reaction Score
Seeing Syracuse win one title is good enough for me. When your a Knick and Jet fan as well you take what you can get lol. Theyve been a consistent winner my whole life, dont expect much more.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Seeing Syracuse win one title is good enough for me. When your a Knick and Jet fan as well you take what you can get lol. Theyve been a consistent winner my whole life, dont expect much more.

Imagine winning 4! Let me tell you, it's truly amazing. Once in a lifetime experience. Well, 4-times in a lifetime ... but you get the idea. Or maybe you don't.

Reaction Score
I respectfully support my fellow Husky hatred of S, but I don't share it. Always liked their teams. Athletic, exciting. We had many great years of rivalry with them, still persisting a bit. I remember watching Syracuse in the finals in 86, was it?, at UConn - cheering for them against Indiana. Thought all the calls went against them and thought it was rigged (LOL - I was young). Loved the 6 OT game and all the wars. I don't judge the coach and team on the fan base.

In any event, we've got 4 and they've got 1 and we and they all know that, in the end, while that's not ALL that matters, it's ALMOST ALL that matters.

We have a bigger _____ than them, by a good amount, that's never going to change, and we banged their girlfriend before them.

scoobydoo

Reaction Score
Congrats uconn.

This is a funny thread from the orange board from Jan 2014 making of UConn.

Its an early Christmas present to the boneyard.

"their back court is the most over rated in the country, yes. Great back courts don't lose to Stanford at home and Houston on the road. Let alone when Houston was missing 3 starters."

Reaction Score
I respectfully support my fellow Husky hatred of S, but I don't share it. Always liked their teams. Athletic, exciting. We had many great years of rivalry with them, still persisting a bit. I remember watching Syracuse in the finals in 86, was it?, at UConn - cheering for them against Indiana. Thought all the calls went against them and thought it was rigged (LOL - I was young). Loved the 6 OT game and all the wars. I don't judge the coach and team on the fan base.

In any event, we've got 4 and they've got 1 and we and they all know that, in the end, while that's not ALL that matters, it's ALMOST ALL that matters.

We have a bigger _____ than them, by a good amount, that's never going to change, and we banged their girlfriend before them.

It's all in fun. I rooted for Syracuse as well before becoming an internet commenter. At least, I really liked the Melo squad and never had any issues with the program. All my interactions with Cuse fans IRL have been good.

We share an experience being a dominant MCBB program whose cantankerous coach is despised by all but the fanbase. They have some extremely butthurt prominent posters and an objectively terrible set of mods but every fan base is the same at the end of the day.

And for those who are butthurt, can you blame them? They were the premier program and we went from a nobody to a plucky upstart to a team whose accomplishments dwarfed theirs real quick.

Reaction Score
Can't wait for GMac to be on the sidelines creating as much success as Bruiser Flint and Matt Doherty did at their respective winning programs. Maybe Gerry can pick his nose better than we think, who knows?

Reaction Score
Two seconds and a late first is not good enough for a program of UConn's stature.

How many does Villanova have in that time? What about UNC? Florida? Louisville? I get how recruiting works, and those optics will undoubtedly hurt us, but putting players in the NBA isn't a flick of the wrist thing. Kentucky and Duke - and to a lesser degree Kansas, Michigan, Syracuse, and Arizona - have monopolized that market to some extent. For everybody else, if you can point to two or three recent examples, you're doing OK. And for the recruits who have even a cursory understanding of how statistics work, they'll see the flaws in what they're being sold, because we're having an ice creams sold/children drowning conversation a lot of the time about how these things correlate.

Syracuse can back it up - their track record over the last handful of years when it comes to identifying talent and developing it into NBA material is impressive. It's one variable, though, and when you focus in on strictly lead guard types like Carey, it shifts the narrative to something more favorable to us. It doesn't help them that they can't match the eye candy of other top programs when it comes to rattling off alums and it also doesn't help that, even for all of their successes, there have been some cautionary stories lately. All told, I think he'll end up at Syracuse, but there are a lot of ways to manipulate statistics and a lot of ways to assuage concerns, especially when one of the guys recruiting him is a notoriously cranky 72-year-old who could retire at any minute and the other is an ex guard fresh out of the NBA with an entire career in front of him to swallow Boeheim's numbers whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom