Jahmir Young to visit on Friday | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Jahmir Young to visit on Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
the only guy that supposedly can't shoot in this lineup is Andre and he went 36% from 3 this season. yes limited attempts but still that's gonna play nicely assuming Samson is the 3 point threat we I think he is
That lineup is pretty bad for shooting on paper. But we have to hope guys like Samson and Newton surprise us.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
FWIW, here are the combined stats from Newton + Young last season:

37.5p, 10.7r, 8.7a, 4.5 to, 2.5s
45.2 fg%, 52.1 2p%
104 for 308 from 3 (33.7%)
9.1 ftas at a 87.1 ft%

What I see:
  • Exciting volume on the offensive end
  • Ability to attack the rim and generate opponent fouls
  • Good efficiency from inside the arc and excellent FT%
  • Less than ideal, but adequate perimeter game
  • Can contribute to offense in a variety of ways, even when they aren't scoring.
I mean, I'm tempering expectations, but if we get both of these guys, I'd be incredibly pumped.
I don’t think we’re landing both. Newton wants to play point.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
the only guy that supposedly can't shoot in this lineup is Andre and he went 36% from 3 this season. yes limited attempts but still that's gonna play nicely assuming Samson is the 3 point threat we I think he is
Can’t call it a good shooting team though. Newton’s numbers are below average and we have no clue what Johnson will bring.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
1 - Newton
2 - Hawkins
3 - Jackson
4 - Johnson
5 - Sanogo

I don't hate this lineup.
Agree. If Hurley is going to ask his 5 to hedge frequently (and we know he is) then he needs shot blockers at both the 3 and 4 as often as possible. The rim protection suffered badly at times depending on who was in those roles on defense. This board thinks offense 75% of the time, and I think Hurley thinks Defense/rebounding 75% of the time. Assuming Jackson is the constant, who gives you rim protection and rebounding, Johnson or Karaban/Hawkins/Transfer guard? Not that we won't play smaller at times, I'm sure we will. I think Johnson is the main backup 5 as well.

Reaction Score
Can’t call it a good shooting team though. Newton’s numbers are below average and we have no clue what Johnson will bring.
From what I've read, Newton is a great catch and shoot guy. He only has issues shooting the 3 off the bounce.

As bad as Hurleys offense can be, he gets his guards a ton of catch and shoot opportunities.

Reaction Score
From what I've read, Newton is a great catch and shoot guy. He only has issues shooting the 3 off the bounce.

As bad as Hurleys offense can be, he gets his guards a ton of catch and shoot opportunities.
Really good midrange shooter. Able to get in the lane off the dribble for pull ups.

Reaction Score
Subject to debate, I think the point is spacing should be much better for Sanogo
But it will only get better if defenses respect Jackson and Johnson from outside. Otherwise they will just camp in the paint like they did all last year

I also imagine Karaban will get plenty of playing time. Isn't he supposed to be a good shooter?

He is, yes

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
1 - Newton
2 - Hawkins
3 - Jackson
4 - Johnson
5 - Sanogo

I don't hate this lineup.
I don't hate it either. But that doesn't exactly fit the "playing 4 out around Sanogo" that Hurley mentioned doing recently. But I also don't know a ton about SJ, haven't gotten a good gauge of him yet. If SJ can stretch the floor, then maybe?

I also wonder if we might see Karaban more than we think (not to start, obviously). He's young, but has a semester under his belt and seems like potentially a high end shooter. And he's tall. He might shoot his way into significant playing time. The question will be if he can hold his own defensively against a 3/4.

Reaction Score
I don't hate it either. But that doesn't exactly fit the "playing 4 out around Sanogo" that Hurley mentioned doing recently. But I also don't know a ton about SJ, haven't gotten a good gauge of him yet. If SJ can stretch the floor, then maybe?

I also wonder if we might see Karaban more than we think (not to start, obviously). He's young, but has a semester under his belt and seems like potentially a high end shooter. And he's tall. He might shoot his way into significant playing time. The question will be if he can hold his own defensively against a 3/4.
4 out for Hurley probably means something different than it does for the rest of us.

coming from last year’s stone age offense (whaley and jackson chucking 3s), having any serviceable shooters will feel like 4 out…

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
How can you use unproven as a slight against the transfer in comparison to a kid who hasn't stepped foot on a college court?

Fair comment, but then by that same token can we asks ourselves why people think a reclassed Castle is our savior to our other "unproven" transfers?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Fair comment, but then by that same token can we asks ourselves why people think a reclassed Castle is our savior to our other "unproven" transfers?

While not the end all be all, Castle seems to be a much more highly regarded prospect ~30 in his class. Guys ranked that highly usually can contribute at some level in year 1.

Reaction Score
If anyone thinks he is the savior next year they are delusional

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I get so confused around here rankings mean nothing and then they mean something.

The high school rankings of Gaffney, Diggins aren't as relevant because we've seen them on the court. They also weren't as highly touted as Castle.

Without looking, I'd hard pressed to think of a kid we recruited out of HS that was a top 30 recruit that didn't pan out. Where as the list of guys 30-150 that didn't is pretty high.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I get so confused around here rankings mean nothing and then they mean something.

The guys who are not here yet - great. Guys who are already here - disposable.

They’re self-soothing.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Johnson can shoot. He was 37% from 3 in HS. Shooter doesn't mean "guard". He just has to be good enough to draw a defender. Since he's big, the bonus is he draws a pretty big defender away from Sanogo.

Reaction Score
I would much rather have 4 years of Corey Floyd Jr. than 1-2 years of an undersized mid-major transfer who is an unproven scorer vs. good teams.

But I guess I’ll have to trust the staff.
I think Hurley wanted Floyd to stay he pointed out his capabilities, maybe Floyd didn’t want the competition.

Reaction Score
Floyd was close to Diggins and didn’t like that Hurley was recruiting transfer guards over him.

Some of us here just have to come to grips that we’ve chosen to emotionally invest in a sport that is subject to the whims and emotions of teenagers.

Reaction Score
Floyd was close to Diggins and didn’t like that Hurley was recruiting transfer guards over him.

Some of us here just have to come to grips that we’ve chosen to emotionally invest in a sport that is subject to the whims and emotions of teenagers.
I think Floyd leaving is more about who we are bringing in. Newton and most likely Castle. I guess he did't see a place where Hurley probably did coming off the bench. These guys even fringe top 100 think they can start wherever they go. It is the way college basketball is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom