Jahmir Young to visit on Friday | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Jahmir Young to visit on Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If Floyd played 7-10 min a game would he have left? Extra frustrating because DH said he could have helped
Was t Floyd on board from day 1 that he was redshirting. Sure he wanted to play but I am no sure it is the reason for leaving.

Reaction Score
Was t Floyd on board from day 1 that he was redshirting. Sure he wanted to play but I am no sure it is the reason for leaving.
Yeah he was on board, his parents were on board, Hurley was on board. And I don't think you change the plan in February in a panic. Now he could have changed his mind and wanted to play midseason, but I have a hard time thinking the redshirt is why he's gone

Reaction Score
Providence’s whole outside of Reeves and Watson transferred in at some point.

Reaction Score
Yeah he was on board, his parents were on board, Hurley was on board. And I don't think you change the plan in February in a panic. Now he could have changed his mind and wanted to play midseason, but I have a hard time thinking the redshirt is why he's gone
When your Dad is a former college player in your ear about alternatives-- You listen-- The redshirt approach was agreed to by all parties. If you think you are being recruited over and your Dad agrees-- What are you going to do?? Cooley has lost a lot of players this year.. Dad's alma mater.. Portal option-- Move on.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
So, everyone is excited about getting one player from ECU in the AAC, and another from Charlotte in Conf USA?

Yes, each has decent stats, But can they play well in the NBE? Only time will tell.....if they do in fact wind up here.
You could have said that about Cole too and look how that turned out. Just a thought instead of being negative

Reaction Score
unless he was lighting it up in practice

Reaction Score
A good AAC player is going to be a good BE player. Let’s not be ridiculous. A few years from now, the AAC will be a vastly inferior league. Newton played in a solid AAC while at ECU.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
A good AAC player is going to be a good BE player. Let’s not be ridiculous. A few years from now, the AAC will be a vastly inferior league. Newton played in a solid AAC while at ECU.
It’s just people who want to complain. In the last NBA draft, there were guys drafted out of the Patriot League, MAC, WCC, Mountain West, A10 and AAC.

By their logic, those NBA scouts must be idiots.

Reaction Score
He’s talking about the staff pushing Castle to reclass
Hate this.

Reclassifying is a massive decision that's usually for very specific situations.
Kids that went the prep route and stayed back a year early in HS.
Kids that were held back early and have a year ahead of their grade.
Kids going the public to prep post grad route.

How many kids just skip their entire senior year of HS? Especially as a relatively young junior right now.
Castle would be 17 when uconn plays its first game next year.

This is decision that's way bigger than "Well our guard depth sucks and we've got 25 minutes a game for you... So please come to college at 17, expedite your academics and skip one of the best years of your life."

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I think he was just making a general statement on how the boneyard views recruits. When a high school player commits (especially a guard) we immediately start comparing his style of play to Ray, Rip, Ben, etc…all-time college greats. Then when they arrive freshman year and (obviously) don’t perform up to those lofty expectations, the yard shifts focus to different targets, thinking “now this guy would really
I just think it's a lazy take. Self soothing makes it seem like they aren't making valid points about these kids.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If Floyd played 7-10 min a game would he have left? Extra frustrating because DH said he could have helped

Who knows? The plan was to redshirt him and they redshirted him. The kid knew the deal coming in.

If you are going to insist on living in the past, go back and read some of your old posts. They were really funny. Now you are just flat out wrong about it all and refuse to let it go.

Wrong about people slamming the kids that left?

Ah, no - I am really, really right about that.

Also, just don’t read what I write if it bothers you. Sorry if there’s not enough pom-pom waving to suit you.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I get the sense that this isn’t happening.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Who knows? The plan was to redshirt him and they redshirted him. The kid knew the deal coming in..
It was inferred that at some point during the season he wanted to play and Hurley didn’t let him.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It was inferred that at some point during the season he wanted to play and Hurley didn’t let him.

I think Hurley said that he tried to get Hurley to play him, but Hurley stuck to the redshirt plan.

I am guessing that every player who has ever been redshirted has tried to convince his coach to put him in. I don’t think you blow a season of eligibility because of it.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
No offense but...I think I'd rather take my chances of having no guards instead of him
I laughed at this and my stomach hurt. We aren’t winning anything with Gaffney playing significant minutes but we can win if we have different and hopefully better guards playing significant minutes. I have no idea what the roster will look like but having new guards along with the returning players. We have a chance to be good.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Disagree. Hawkins is the other starting guard. Jackson is a 3 or a 1. But we'll never agree on this.
If Hawkins is going to be a guard he better vastly improve his ball handling over the summer. I don’t love Jackson as a power forward but I think he can get the job done depending on the opponent.

Reaction Score
Hate this.

Reclassifying is a massive decision that's usually for very specific situations.
Kids that went the prep route and stayed back a year early in HS.
Kids that were held back early and have a year ahead of their grade.
Kids going the public to prep post grad route.

How many kids just skip their entire senior year of HS? Especially as a relatively young junior right now.
Castle would be 17 when uconn plays its first game next year.

This is decision that's way bigger than "Well our guard depth sucks and we've got 25 minutes a game for you... So please come to college at 17, expedite your academics and skip one of the best years of your life."
I think I agree with your sentiment here. Reclassifying a kid out of need is probably not a good thing. If they think he’s physically and mentally ready that’s a different story, but not sure how you figure that out.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
It will be fun to compare the "old" (pre-Diggins transfer) roster vs. the new roster once this all shakes out and assess whether the staff was successful in upgrading the talent level in the offseason.

Thus far, we've brought in one guy who averaged 18 points per game last year in college, while the four guys who left averaged...something less than that. And with more new players still to be added, it's honestly not even going to be close.
there'll be time enough for counting when the deal is done.
'counting' means numbers, means actually measuring how well, or not, this new floating crap game of a team does. less talky, more chalky.
a week or so back, reading a preseason rankings on espn, i think, they had us around 35, with a comment that it could be a chance for coach dan hurley to win his first ncaa tourney game at UConn. that hurt.

and didn't this thread title tell us sum guy was visiting on friday?
cuz reading it, it sure don't seem like he is.
the bs is piling up so high lately that i would expect to see some here with mushrooms growing out of their ears on a zoom call.

Last edited:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
if hurley brings in newton and young, plus another guy (castle reclass??) the mood on this board would shift significantly.
No it wouldn't

We'd still have Pollyanna's like me and Hurley Haters like all the names I don’t remember because they're on ignore

Reaction Score
Looks like this one ain't happening.

I've had a couple zoom calls with Maryland, South Carolina, Gonzaga, Georgetown, Cincinnati and Kansas State, Miami, and UConn but UConn just got a commit so I'm not going there. All those were more in depth for sure talking about facilities, weight rooms, and making sure I'm ready next year for the draft if I don't go this year.

Reaction Score
Looks like this one ain't happening.

I've had a couple zoom calls with Maryland, South Carolina, Gonzaga, Georgetown, Cincinnati and Kansas State, Miami, and UConn but UConn just got a commit so I'm not going there. All those were more in depth for sure talking about facilities, weight rooms, and making sure I'm ready next year for the draft if I don't go this year.

I guess a 1 man back court is pretty intimidating...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom