45.2 fg%, 52.1 2p%
104 for 308 from 3 (33.7%)
9.1 ftas at a 87.1 ft%

What I see:
  • Exciting volume on the offensive end
  • Ability to attack the rim and generate opponent fouls
  • Good efficiency from inside the arc and excellent FT%
  • Less than ideal, but adequate perimeter game
  • Can contribute to offense in a variety of ways, even when they aren't scoring.
I mean, I'm tempering expectations, but if we get both of these guys, I'd be incredibly pumped.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I would much rather have 4 years of Corey Floyd Jr. than 1-2 years of an undersized mid-major transfer who is an unproven scorer vs. good teams.

But I guess I’ll have to trust the staff.

How can you use unproven as a slight against the transfer in comparison to a kid who hasn't stepped foot on a college court?

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
My thought is Young told Rothstein directly that he was visiting (as the tweet implied), but the staff didn't want it to seem as if they pushed Floyd out just to get a replacement the next day so Tripp or someone else asked Jon to delete the tweet.
That’s a lot to assume. Either way, let’s just hope we didn’t get faked out

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
How can you use unproven as a slight against the transfer in comparison to a kid who hasn't stepped foot on a college court?

Could have said the same thing about Diggins prior to last year.

Reaction Score
I would much rather have 4 years of Corey Floyd Jr. than 1-2 years of an undersized mid-major transfer who is an unproven scorer vs. good teams.

But I guess I’ll have to trust the staff.
I was waiting for someone to say this.

It was the same argument with Cole vs. Hyland.

With the high volatility in the NCAA nowadays, it would be foolish to expect that ANYONE on your roster will last four years.

Also, we're targeting guys from the AAC (8th best conference) and C-USA (13th best conference). This isn't the MEAC or the SWAC. We'd never recruit from those conferences...;)

This season, Young scored 27 against Wake Forest while Newton scored 18 against Oklahoma, 28 against Davidson, 14 against Houston.

Reaction Score
My thought is Young told Rothstein directly that he was visiting (as the tweet implied), but the staff didn't want it to seem as if they pushed Floyd out just to get a replacement the next day so Tripp or someone else asked Jon to delete the tweet.

Or the visit is not happening.

Reaction Score
That’s a lot to assume. Either way, let’s just hope we didn’t get faked out
Rothstein isn't the type of guy that would get duped, especially since he was first with the news. If that Stockrisers kid had it first I would be a little skeptical, but I trust Rothstein. We know that he is super well connected to Hurley and the program, it makes sense that Hurley told him to shush about it for optics reasons

Reaction Score
What happened to Newton then?
Just relax. There is administrative stuff that happens before the commitment goes public. If you choose to believe the insiders here, he already verballed. Next step is making sure all credits and what not will transfer over without any issue. And he also needs to have someone make an IG edit lol

Reaction Score
A visit doesn't mean you land the kid. I think we need to avoid too much excitement about this until we get further indications.
In normal recruiting, no. The portal is very different. Usually these guys know where they want to go and they don't take more than 1 visit.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Someone call in Happy to close the deal(s)…

6AF8A51B-69EA-477B-8A7B-9A8CDB97E682.jpeg

Reaction Score
Rothstein isn't the type of guy that would get duped, especially since he was first with the news. If that Stockrisers kid had it first I would be a little skeptical, but I trust Rothstein. We know that he is super well connected to Hurley and the program, it makes sense that Hurley told him to shush about it for optics reasons
Exactly and the wording of the original tweet is key where Rothstein said "Jahmir Young tells me that he is visiting..." It wasn't like he said "sources tell me..." which is a phrase he uses sometimes. He heard it directly from the player.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
There's no way Ramey wants to come here if we get Newton and Young right? That almost guarantees he wouldn't start
What years are they? Would they put Castle in a position like Diggins and Floyd?

Reaction Score
There's no way Ramey wants to come here if we get Newton and Young right? That almost guarantees he wouldn't start
Ramey is participating in the Portsmouth Invitational and still going through nba process. You also need to legitimately petition for Portsmouth Invitational attendees to come back to college if they decide not to go the pro route. I assume Ramey would get a waiver but it's no guarantee. I think there's a chance that Ramey was the target, but the staff moved focus onto Young due to timing and the risk of potentially not getting cleared to return to college.

Reaction Score
From the Athletic write up on best available players (#20, Newton is #7).

“ He’s a bit reminiscent of now-former Connecticut guard R.J. Cole. Cole made first-team All-Big East this past season as Connecticut’s lead, but did so shooting just 40 percent from the field and 33 percent from 3. He also plays better defense than Young. Basically, we’re projecting Young as a high-major starter, but maybe not quite an all-league guy.”

Yes please

Reaction Score
I would hope they never redshirt anyone again that can help that season. Yes, no way in the world Castle redshirts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom