If you want to get rid of Ollie | Page 5 | The Boneyard

If you want to get rid of Ollie

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You think Chillious was brought in for his coaching? Your act is getting really tiresome, it's a new routine every week now.

I don't trust any information you guys have on the assistant coaches, earlier ITT I learned Dwayne Killings didn't have any full-time coaching experience before coming here and that getting rid of Glen Miller was a huge mistake.

Reaction Score
The problem with the scenario you posited is that you are referencing The Rent and the toxic football program.

College football is fundamentally 100% not culturally relevant in the northeast. Yes we had some gritty old timer fans with beards and the "tailgating look" at the Rent in the past but they are outliers. College football isn't relevant to the northeasterners psyche because high school football is also secondary in most communities. Compare this with the south and Midwest where both are community cornerstones and you realize why we are not only in a cultural CFB wasteland but also in the heart of CFB recruiting wasteland. We will NEVER be big time in football, it's simply not going to happen. You need to take college football out of your lens of UConn Men's basketball's future trajectory and fan satisfaction. We can press forward and improve with OR without college football, but you can't use one to compare the health of the other in my opinion for the reasons stated.
How can football be a wasteland in the Northeast when there's four NFL teams with in hours of each other. Jets, Giants, Bills and Patriots. Throw in Philadelphia too, only an 8 or 10 hour drive from Foxborough, and sold out every week. Also add three Power 5 teams within hours of each other in the Northeast.

Last edited:

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
How can Football be a wasteland in the Northeast when there's four NFL teams with in hours of each other. Jets, Giants, Bills and Patriots. Throw in Philadelphia too, only an 8 or 10 hour drive from Foxborough, and sold out every week.
Pro sports has nothing to do with COLLEGE football culture and especially recruiting. College sports don't function anything like pro sports do in this regard really.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I'm surprised you can even see some of us from up there on your high horse.

People are talking about throwing ten million dollars around willy-nilly. Of course I'm on a high horse.

Reaction Score
I am the opposite of burying my head in the sand my friend. WOKE.
Good.
Four years is longer than you realize. For students, that could be their entire college experience. At the end of the day, call them Fairweather fans, but people generally don’t want to invest their time let alone their money to have their hopes dashed by successive losses to Wagner or ECU or God knows who else and struggle to make A tournament appearance once in four years. For many, it’s easier to separate and not go to games, and often times not invest emotions in watching on TV. I’m a diehard fan since 1991 and I find myself turning off the TV from time to time, especially when we’re getting destroyed, rather than watch my favorite team get pummeled into national irrelevance.
Tell that to the woke dude.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
The $10M figure was hypothetical, it's definitely seeming to be much less than that based on what others have posted.

Just further proof Stairmaster doesn't actually read the threads and process the discussion, just sees something that fits his schtick's profile and makes snark, the board cancer.

Reaction Score
Yes it will. Benedict already laid out everything to Ollie about what he expects, he sees the same cr@p and Ollie's gone.
Don't see it dude. We would have to move games to the moon to make it happen.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
The $10M figure was hypothetical, it's definitely seeming to be much less than that based on what others have posted.

Just further proof Stairmaster doesn't actually read the threads and process the discussion, just sees something that fits his schtick's profile and makes snark, the board cancer.

That's completely beside the point. The notion that if the buyout were hypothetically $10M, you think the AD could pull it off renders your opinion on this topic moot.

Cancer? As if. I am the board's chemotherapy.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
That's completely beside the point. The notion that if the buyout were hypothetically $10M, you think the AD could pull it off renders your opinion on this topic moot.

LOL

Reaction Score
Pro sports has nothing to do with COLLEGE football culture and especially recruiting. College sports don't function anything like pro sports do in this regard really.
You're saying pro football and college football have nothing in common? How so? Isn't the only difference the fact that college players are not paid, but go to school for free, and pro players are paid up front? I mean what's the difference between a team owner and an athletic director? Both have the same goals, win games and fill the seats.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Agreed. If it's $10M, it's not happening. Simple as that.

That's about 4 years of AAC tv money to put it into perspective.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Agreed. If it's $10M, it's not happening. Simple as that.

That's about 4 years of AAC tv money to put it into perspective.

And the notion of paying the next coach multiple millions per year on top of that simply does not jive with the anticipated decreases in revenue over the next 5-10 years.

Reaction Score
I told Stain for a year that things were rotten with Ollie and he would argue with me on the daily about how I was wrong. Next he did the whole passive aggressive thing to start the season. Now he's claiming who actually on the board still thinks Ollie is the right man for the job??? All the while mixing in we could never possibly get another coach who his better than Ollie because Uconn is a terrible job.

I wonder what his next routine will be?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I told Stain for a year that things were rotten with Ollie and he would argue with me on the daily about how I was wrong. Next he did the whole passive aggressive thing to start the season. Now he's claiming who actually on the board still thinks Ollie is the right man for the job??? All the while mixing in we could never possibly get another coach who his better than Ollie because Uconn is a terrible job.

I wonder what his next routine will be?

We could get a coach who's better than Ollie. You think that's more likely than I do. I've seen multiple people suggest we pluck someone straight from UNC-Asheville, or King Rice. You tell me whether or not it's reasonable to expect improvement given their track records.

Lastly, you're arguing in favor of firing him for cause yet don't seem to think that it would affect the athletic department's image if everything came out in the open? Yeesh.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
You're far and away the most insufferable poster on this board. And what makes it worse is that you completely lack any semblance of self awareness. I'm a bad poster too, but at least I can admit it.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Unless some donor writes the check no chance UConn gets rid of Ollie even though we should.
How about a former NBA player who's made $150 million playing in the NBA might have the funds to restore UCONN to past glory. What about Caron Butler for head coach? He loves the program and attends more games than any former Husky. Plus his rags to riches story would play well with recruits and parents. He's tough as nails too.

Reaction Score
How about a former NBA player who's made $150 million playing in the NBA might have the funds to restore UCONN to past glory. What about Caron Butler for head coach? He loves the program and attends more games than any former Husky. Plus his rags to riches story would play well with recruits and parents. He's tough as nails too.
lolno

Reaction Score
Before we cashier KO (and we'd better have a cashier's check ready) let us remember that he is among the most ingenious (and heaven-favored) individuals who ever lived. He parlayed a sub-standard basketball talent into a 13-year NBA career and a sit-and-watch coaching philosophy into a national title and what is now approaching $20 million in remuneration paid and owed. He is today the graduate and most visible representative of a major university despite an inability to speak his native language at a 4th grade level. The man, in a word, is a force unto himself, answerable to no common standard, a man for whom the Brimahs of the world make unlikely 3-point plays and the Adamses heave 60-foot buzzer-beaters. Before we cut him loose, it might be prudent to wonder what his next logic-defying feat might be. We might wish to be part of it.

Last edited:

BUConn10

Reaction Score
You're saying pro football and college football have nothing in common? How so? Isn't the only difference the fact that college players are not paid, but go to school for free, and pro players are paid up front? I mean what's the difference between a team owner and an athletic director? Both have the same goals, win games and fill the seats.
Well, there's the whole salary cap thing for one, the actual NFL draft, the fact that players care less about the success of the "program"/franchise than they do about the 8 figure paycheck, etc. It's really not rocket science.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom