If you want to get rid of Ollie | The Boneyard

If you want to get rid of Ollie

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
05A8A47B-9E70-41EA-BCF3-6594D1EF72A5.jpeg

You have two choices:

1. Drum up 8 figures to satisfy his contract.

2. Set him up to go for cause.

Hopefully that reality will save us the same conversation every game for the next 4 years.

(stole the contract info from Fishy’s twitter).

Ironically this contract is reason to fire everyone on the UConn side who negotiatiated it for cause.

Reaction Score
After this season about 14 million I guess, but if it’s decided he’s not capable it has to be done.

Reaction Score
After this season about 14 million I guess, but if it’s decided he’s not capable it has to be done.

UConn is heavily subsidizing the AD. This is also a year in which the state gov't is dropping support by untold millions. That money, in other words, is not going to come from the university. wrong time, bad timing.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Unless some donor writes the check no chance UConn gets rid of Ollie even though we should.

Reaction Score
If he gets fired wouldn't the money come from UConn Club donations/revenue from the athletic program?

Reaction Score
If he gets fired wouldn't the money come from UConn Club donations/revenue from the athletic program?
Yeah, based on the language in the contract, it seems like the University is responsible for the base salary, which is $400K a year ($1.2 million remaining after this year). Not sure where the Public Relations, Consulting and Media Fees come from though ($9.4 million remaining after this year).

Reaction Score
Wasn't there a FB coach who was talked into resigning recently (maybe McElwain at Florida?). Everyone knew he was going to be fired but he resigned instead and therefore the school did not have to pay him what he was owed. Considering everything KO has said over the years I wouldn't put it past him to just resign to help the school. Or not.
BTW, I'm not saying he should be let go immediately either. Have to give him the rest of the season at a minimum.

Reaction Score
Wasn't there a FB coach who was talked into resigning recently (maybe McElwain at Florida?). Everyone knew he was going to be fired but he resigned instead and therefore the school did not have to pay him what he was owed. Considering everything KO has said over the years I wouldn't put it past him to just resign to help the school. Or not.
BTW, I'm not saying he should be let go immediately either. Have to give him the rest of the season at a minimum.
LOL no way he does that. Remember when he used the NBA talk to get a raise?

Reaction Score
This is just an idea but could they possibly work a deal with him and demote him? Kinda of like what the Yankees did with a-rod. Make him some UConn basketball ambassador. Would be a lot of money but if you fire him you still have to pay it.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
This is just an idea but could they possibly work a deal with him and demote him? Kinda of like what the Yankees did with a-rod. Make him some UConn basketball ambassador. Would be a lot of money but if you fire him you still have to pay it.
Negative percent chance this ever happens, purely regarding pride and future career resume of a clearly competitive individual. That being said in a fictional ideal world this would be potentially a best case scenario. Ollie certainly has assets he brings to the program in spades in certain areas, unfortunately it has become clear managing players on and off the court is not up to par for a program of this caliber, which is like 80% of what he gets paid for.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If we fire him before May 2019, we owe him: $1M in deferred compensation, $600k of which has already been accrued, plus a single payment of $600k. That's it. He will have earned another $200k in deferred comp by the end of the season, so really the buyout is only $800k ($600k plus the vesting of the $200k in deferred comp for 2018-19).

Reaction Score
You could always arrange for him to have an "accident". I'm guessing Fishy is good at that sort of thing.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I don't know what this means for the trajectory of the season or what might happen after, but it is good to keep in mind that we may have our hands tied here. If change needs to happen, DB might be better of forcing some staff replacements than forcing out the HC.

Also good to keep in mind that these things typically have a way of working themselves out that are beneficial to both parties.

Anyways nothing should happen before the end of the season. I think we will have a better team in February since the freshman and defense will have likely improved, but it might be too late to save the season at that point.

Reaction Score
I don't know what this means for the trajectory of the season or what might happen after, but it is good to keep in mind that we kinda have our hands tied here.

If change needs to happen, DB might be better of forcing some staff replacements than forcing out the HC.

We've already had staff replacements. If we can't raise the $$ it looks as if our fate is sealed.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't know what this means for the trajectory of the season or what might happen after, but it is good to keep in mind that we kinda have our hands tied here.

If change needs to happen, DB might be better of forcing some staff replacements than forcing out the HC.

Why? It's pretty minor really. Much less than Diaco.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RollSkis

Top Bottom