Ice Brady out for the season | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Ice Brady out for the season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I still think we could be dangerous this season, assuming no major injury to one of our 4 main guards, but the injuries to Paige and Ice create a scenario where however we finish, probably no team will have the quality of additions next year than Uconn will have. We have a recruiting class that will be among the best with KK, Ashlynn and Q, plus Paige and Ice added to the mix, while waiting to hear if El Alfy could lift our recruiting class to the best.

If we get her that would be 6 major additions, all of which were very high recruits except for Q who was still pretty high. We lose Dorka and Lou, maybe Aubrey, but there will be no more Boston at SC or Jones at Stanford among others, so on paper I think we should be the top ranked team heading into next year if we are anywhere near the top this year.
We’ll you my friend, certainly know how to see the glass as being half full!

Jim

Reaction Score
What????? I don’t find that a bit humorous.
It was in a collision with Nika that Aaliyah broke her nose. Just pure speculation on the most recent incident.

Reaction Score
Feel terrible for the young lady. The accusations, cause and conditions, border on being libelous. If next week , next month, or in February, multiple injuries occur, who is to blame? I'm in a high stakes football fantasy league and have lost 5 players to injury in this early season. Should I have known that their trainers and conditioning people were inadequate in their techniques ? When I take long walk and tear my Achilles tendon, maybe I'll cast blame on UConn's training techniques, that's how outrageous some of these cause and effect statements are. Injuries in sports, are as common as breathing.

Reaction Score
Anyone who played serious sports knows that injuries happen, often unexpectedly, and are a part of the game or sport. I'm so sorry for Ice and wish her a strong recovery. My heart breaks for the Uconn team. Stay strong Huskies and don't give up.

Reaction Score
First, all the best to Ice and hopes for a quick recovery.
I am surprised that no one has mentioned the possibility that the increase in the number of injuries (across all levels of basketball) could be the result of not giving the players sufficient time off between the venues. The players move from high school ball to training camps, to AAU, to tryouts for national junior teams, to college preseason practices, to the college schedule with continuous practices, to post season tournaments. The survivors may then get a week or so off before WNBA tryouts and then enter into a compressed pro season of two or three games a week. Then to make ends meet they play overseas. The WNBA players who played in the FIFA championships this year complained about getting no time off between venues and their concern over potential injuries. The players need more time off to let the body recover. The players need to lighten their training and playing time. The WNBA needs protect their players and cough up the bucks so their players don’t need to play overseas. They should take a page from horse racing and protect their athletes. Workouts for horses are not harder than the actual races and the number of races that graded stakes horses appear in each year are minimized.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Oh yeah! Keep using the Cross-Fit conditioning techniques and cripple the whole team. UCONN needs another condition program at least or possibly a new conditioning coach.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen a definitive version of when and where and how it happened and we may not get one. No amount of "proper" training will guard against a traumatically induced dislocation. Was it at practice and just happened so it can be related to stress and repetitive movements or at the scrimmage where there was contact? No matter when, where or how, this is sickening. She is such a great kid.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
With Ice's injury, Paige's latest injury, some concerns about Azzi, Aubrey's and Dorka's recovery, as well as injuries at other schools, it make me appreciate durability more than ever. I recall a player we had who showed up every day: played in all 154 games in her career, scored in double figures 150 times, and her team won 150 of those games. It's no wonder the fans in China called Maya the Invincible Queen.

1666818164057.png

Reaction Score
Just unbelievable. Hope she gets better soon. It really is unreal. All teams deal with injuries, but wow does UConn seem to have their fair share and then some. Just unreal.

Reaction Score
It was mentioned that the players see entirely to much activity while they are in and even before they enter high scnool. Most work with personel trainers along with their AAU and high school schedules. They have no off time.

I would also add that UConn has been more fortunate that most in respect to losing players through injury. I could name a lot of teams that have had theri seasons disrupted by multiple injuries to key players. The odds probably are just catching up with UConn now for all the relative injury free seasons they have had in the past. The UConn fans are just not used to what many other fans bases have suffered. Most fans bases are not really aware of many of the problems other programs but their own are dealing with out side of their own conferences.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It was mentioned that the players see entirely to much activity while they are in and even before they enter high scnool. Most work with personel trainers along with their AAU and high school schedules. They have no off time.

I would also add that UConn has been more fortunate that most in respect to losing players through injury. I could name a lot of teams that have had theri seasons disrupted by multiple injuries to key players. The odds probably are just catching up with UConn now for all the relative injury free seasons they have had in the past. The UConn fans are just not used to what many other fans bases have suffered. Most fans bases are not really aware of many of the problems other programs but their own are dealing with out side of their own conferences.
Some of us fans have truly appreciated our good fortune while recognizing that the law of averages would catch up with the team eventually. The UConn aura of invincibility has been cracked and it's shocking to some fans.

The truth is we've dealt with this before though mostly during and even late in the season. Shea in 1997 and in 2001. Svetlana in 2001. Kalana and Mel in 2008. We've had good fortune since 2008 but not so much the past couple of years. It happens in sports.

I understand the disappointment; I feel it too. The lashing out and blame-game is what I don't understand. I guess that happens now in sports as well.

Reaction Score
wow. just wow , and so it begins. Without Ice we lose a few more games due to depth at post / posts who can stretch the defense.

Reaction Score
Another article from Hospital for Special Surgery: Patellofemoral Instability| Kneecap & Knee Joint Problems
Thank you for this additional reference. I'll share one more:
From Brad Scholewski, M.D. EdD. Associate Professor, Cincinnati Children's
Medical Center "FRACTURE FRIDAYS: The Worst Case of Osgood Schlatters Ever"
Hint: This case was not " Osgood Schlatters " ( a cause of knee pain in adolescents )
but an avulsion fracture of the patellar (knee cap ) tendon
from the Tibia bone ( the large weight bearing bone in the lower leg ). This reference was
found at: pemcincinnati.com/Blog/ Fracture-Fridays-The-Worst
Case-of-Osgood-Schlatters-Ever. Dr. Scholewski provides a brief differential diagnosis
explaination and explains that his patient had a patellar dislocation that was
displaced "upward" whereas the usual position of a "patellar dislocation" is to the side.
This discussion was apparently from a Friday"Orthopedic Rounds" at the hospital
which includes a brief discussion of patellar dislocations and some very nice XRAYS..
It is shared for those Boneyarders who are more medically inclined. I personally learned something.
I think this (could be) closer to what ICE suffer = not a normal "dislocation" but
a type of injury that requires surgery. Z

sun

Reaction Score
Some elite athletes are like thoroughbreds that seem to be more physically prone to catastrophic injuries.
Others may try to accomplish too much for their bodies to handle & for their own good.
And then there are players who may be superior & not elite, but are more durable over the long term.
A coach can't figure that out in advance because when they're being recruited at a young age, they all seem to withstand the wear & tear just fine.

Reaction Score
Well good. Only UConnWBB fans bring the knives out at times like this.
Are we becoming like Yankee fans?
If the team doesn’t win it all we are not merely disappointed, but resentful.
If things don’t go right, we have to have a scalp or two to hang next to all the banners.
If you follow this line of unreason, the guy in charge of the whole shebang, whose initials are “G.A.”, should be the first to go.
I mean, what has he done for us lately?
By the way, this is sarcasm.
I think “G.A.” Is STILL the best bet to lead us back to the promised land.

Reaction Score
Well, I'm not sure why many feel compelled to lay blame anywhere. I sure she is devastated, as are her family and friends. I hope for a smooth recovery. I think we will be just fine. Sure, it would have been absolutely fantastic to have her on the floor, but we will be just fine.

Reaction Score
Really? Ask the football board. There are 12 players out with injuries, almost all sustained in non-game situations
What's that as a percentage of the roster? Football is also a high contact sport. I don't think football is a good comparison. Also, female athletes are more prone to knee injuries than men to take the other side of the argument. Basically, I'm saying it's really hard to assign blame as long as the women's team trainers have knee muscle strengthening and flexibility as a core part of their regimen.

Reaction Score
1. Brady's injury is not an ACL tear. How did you not know that?
2. Neither of Bueckers' injuries had anything to do with diving on the floor. Where did you come up with this?
We were talking about the confluence of UCONN INJURIES but the nitwit nitpick boneyard continue to find it infinitely wise to waste our time nitpicking. And How do YOU know when Paige's injuries happened? The first knee injury was almost a complete mystery as we didn't see it until she was just walking down the floor. Do you think a knee cap injury happens with no contact at all? Unlikely. Or an ACL? Injuries in general often involve contact. Look at how they play. If the ball hits the floor they are taught to dive for it.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
We were talking about the confluence of UCONN INJURIES but the nitwit nitpick boneyard continue to find it infinitely wise to waste our time nitpicking. And How do YOU know when Paige's injuries happened? The first knee injury was almost a complete mystery as we didn't see it until she was just walking down the floor. Do you think a knee cap injury happens with no contact at all? Unlikely. Or an ACL? Injuries in general often involve contact.
Actually the majority of ACL injuries are non-contact. Not sure of the data on patella dislocations but I've read some studies that state most are non-contact as well.

Reaction Score
It's really been a remarkable run. Svetlana went down in February 2001 and of course Shea in the BET finals in March 2001.

I think the last UConn player to tear her ACL was Brianna Banks in 2013. Tuck had knee issues that were more chronic in nature and she did miss some time.
I might have my years confused but I believe 2010 was an ACL disaster. Caroline Doty (mentioned earlier in this thread), Kalana Greene and Mel Thomas
all suffered torn ACLs. I can’t remember if they were all on the bench at the same time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's really been a remarkable run. Svetlana went down in February 2001 and of course Shea in the BET finals in March 2001.

I think the last UConn player to tear her ACL was Brianna Banks in 2013. Tuck had knee issues that were more chronic in nature and she did miss some time.
Shea, Sveta, Caroline Doty, Morgan Tuck, Brianna Banks -- and unfortunately we need to add Sue Bird to that list, going down in her freshman year. What made that loss even worse was that since she had played in more than 20% of the team's games that season (1998-1999), she was not allowed to redshirt.

Her TASSK Force teammate, Keirsten Walters, never did realize her potential due to injuries.

And if I recall correctly, Nicole Wolff also had chronic injury issues and redshirted a year (however, she chose to graduate with her classmates).

Jessica Moore and Ashley Battle had to heal and come back from injury. Jess (in)famously tore her ACL in one of the championship games against Tennessee, but finished the game with 14 points and 9 rebounds; while Ashley's elbow injury in her freshman year resulted in a redshirt.

Just my opinion, but I think UConn has had its share of injuries over the years. Overall, we're not quite as lucky as some may think.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Shea, Sveta, Caroline Doty, Morgan Tuck, Brianna Banks -- and unfortunately we need to add Sue Bird to that list, going down in her freshman year. What made that loss even worse was that since she had played in more than 20% of the team's games that season (1998-1999), she was not allowed to redshirt.

Her TASSK Force teammate, Keirsten Walters, never did realize her potential due to injuries.

And if I recall correctly, Nicole Wolff also had chronic injury issues and redshirted a year (however, she chose to graduate with her classmates).

Jessica Moore and Ashley Battle had to heal and come back from injury. Jess (in)famously tore her ACL in one of the championship games against Tennessee, but finished the game with 14 points and 9 rebounds; while Ashley's elbow injury in her freshman year resulted in a redshirt.

Just my opinion, but I think UConn has had its share of injuries over the years. Overall, we're not quite as lucky as some may think.

Yes, I know. I was responding to the post that referenced UConn not losing an All-American caliber player to a severe injury in the last 20 years which is accurate. Doty and Banks aside, we've been very fortunate with serious injuries since 2008. That run of good fortune has ended. As I mentioned, Tuck missed most of the 2013-2014 season after opting for surgery to address her chronic knee condition.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I might have my years confused but I believe 2010 was an ACL disaster. Caroline Doty (mentioned earlier in this thread), Kalana Greene and Mel Thomas
all suffered torn ACLs. I can’t remember if they were all on the bench at the same time.

Mel Thomas and Kalana Greene both went down with ACL tears during the 2007-2008 season. As I recall, Kalana was first (against South Carolina) and Mel's happened later against Syracuse. That was Maya's freshman season. The team made it to the Final Four but lost to Stanford in the semi-final game.

Caroline Doty tore her ACL twice while at UConn: First, during the 2008-2009 season, and Second, the summer before the 2010-2011 season. Caroline also tore her ACL while in high school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom