Ice Brady out for the season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ice Brady out for the season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As with any sport played you risk being injured, not the fault of the staff or practices just one of those things that happen in life. If it happened when she was running to class who would you blame? No one likes to be injured and no fan wants to a player to get injured but that's life. There really are worst things in life. I like all the rest of the UCONN fans will have to hope for a complete & swift recovery and look forward to watching her play next season

Reaction Score
People are not robots. Anatomy is unique to each of us. Trying to establish a link between injury and cause with any degree of confidence is a major effort taking years of data assembly and study. So, we are left to our own observations and conclusions based on insufficient information. As such, we should be careful with how we approach that discussion. Sometimes "stuff" just happens.

What we can do is be supportive of the athlete as they go through the process from injury, to treatment, and through recovery as we wish the very best for them moving forward.

This should also be a sobering reminder to everyone that it doesn't take much for all of your hopes, aspirations, and expectations can be gone in an instant.

Personally, I'm not writing off the season based on injuries to players. They still have a lot of talent. The road just gets steeper.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Coincidence? Causation? Call it whatever you want. But all I'm saying is Rosemary Ragle left UCONN in 2016. Since she left we have not won a NC and the injuries seem to have been piling up.

bbgj6.jpg

Reaction Score
Coincidence? Causation? Call it whatever you want. But all I'm saying is Rosemary Ragle left UCONN in 2016. Since she left we have not won a NC and the injuries seem to have been piling up.

bbgj6.jpg
In the vernacular of the street, "somethin' a'int riiight!"

Reaction Score
I cannot ascertain the reasons so many highly regarded athletes succumb to serious injury once they arrive in Storrs, but I would respectfully suggest that UCONN fill a couple of more positions on their roster here on out.
Here we go again.
Before first game-short bench.
There will be additional dings and pulls (at a minimum) as the season proceeds. Will only get worse.
NOW AMARI HAS TO STEP UP.
Inez may not yet be ready for prime time- this will be revealed.
Devastating news.

Reaction Score
This is horrible. Wishing her a speedy recovery. I was very much looking forward to her progress this year after an impressive summer with USA basketball.

Assuming that Dorka and Aaliyah are starters, does that mean Amari will be the backup center? (I consider Ayanna a forward). Albeit a very talented forward, but a little undersized for the center position.

Reaction Score
If you're going to question Huddy's training methods you must analyze her work over the years in all of the places she was employed. You can't just look at her years at UCONN because there can be so many factors which contribute to injuries as many have stated. You have to look at the injury experience throughout her career.

Huddy is not just someone who hung out a shingle and wandered in to Storrs off of the street. I suspect (but of course only have her credentials and experience to judge) that there is no substantive correlation between her training methods and the injuries that have occurred on her watch.

Reaction Score
Injuries come in cycles and there are too many factors that go into the equation…there does not need to be a blame game or second guessing….
Believe in the system and that Geno and CD and staff will figure it….I still think we can win a championship this season….Go Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
I get the disappointment. I get the wondering about...how did this happen. I do. Imagine how the team feels...the healthy and the injured. Everyone just get it out of your system and then get back in the dogfight supporting these ladies. They need it more than we do. Time to set some attendance records and to be the best 6th man in women's college basketball history. Huddle up...we got work to do.

sun

Reaction Score
UConn is fortunate to have enough depth to handle the consequences of her injury.
Folks have rightly or wrongly blamed Paige's injuries on her slight build which it's the opposite for Ice.
Ice played extensive minutes for USA BB and is known as a gym rat.
If anything it's the players who push themselves too hard.
That's partly how they got to become UConn Huskies in the first place.
There's a sliver lining here somewhere, we just need to look for it.
Ice will be able to redshirt and perhaps play the 4th year when UConn will really need her the most.
Hopefully she'll become stronger & an even bigger & brighter UConn star because of this setback.
No pain no gain.

Reaction Score
Really? Ask the football board. There are 12 players out with injuries, almost all sustained in non-game situations.

It's disingenuous to say look at FB with 12 injuries in a contact sport among 85 scholarship players (14%) versus 6 injuries on the WBB roster of 12 (50%).

Almost all sustained in non-game situations? No. At least all the following (eight) were injured in games:
Carter;
Houston;
Brewton;
Jones:
Marion;
Roberson;
Anthony and
McCarthy.

Ross (second broken foot in two years which could indicate a bone loss issue) and McFadden (caught foot in turf when kicking) were preseason, and Fitzgerald and Brinson were practice injuries.

WBB injuries:
Bueckers (two different injuries);
Fudd;
Ducharme;
Juhasz;
Griffin and
Brady

Half the 12 player roster suffering serious injuries, resulting in a significant number of games in which they could not play, in less than a year, is concerning and should be evaluated to see if there's an area that needs to be addressed.

Issues mentioned by others, such as over training and the year round focus on one sport, could be the problems but we won't know if we don't review it.

Reaction Score
The press release said surgery "to repair damage suffered during the dislocation." Some ligament damage as well? Not sure.
The key seems to be to avoid rupturing the patella tendon. That's the one that is most difficult to get back to normal from.

Reaction Score
Just crushing news so close to the start of the season, wishing her a full and speedy recovery. I was really looking forward to seeing her play.

Amari, I think we're going to need you more than ever now.....you can do it.
Yes, Amari and the whole rest of the UCONN WBB family. I love the quote from ICE.
Best Wishes to ICE, looking forward to you full return next Fall!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
WBB injuries:
Bueckers (two different injuries);
Fudd;
Ducharme;
Juhasz;
Griffin and
Brady

Half the 12 player roster suffering serious injuries, resulting in a significant number of games in which they could not play, in less than a year, is concerning and should be evaluated to see if there's an area that needs to be addressed.

Issues mentioned by others, such as over training and the year round focus on one sport, could be the problems but we won't know if we don't review it.
You do know that Azzi Fudd's foot condition existed before her arrival at UConn, right? What was the serious injury she suffered?

You do know that Caroline Ducharme's hip condition existed before her arrival at UConn, right? What was the serious injury she suffered? She missed a few games last season due to a concussion but no games due to the hip issue that required surgery during the off-season.

You do know that Dorka was hit going up for a shot during a game and landed on her wrist which was then fractured, right? How would training prevent that?

Reaction Score
Ask Shea Ralph
I asked her. Right now she's dealing with two starters out for the season with torn achilles and another starter out for the season with an ACL tear. As soon as she figures out how to field a competitive team with the remaining nine players on the roster, she'll get back to you about UConn's injury problems...lol

Seriously, I hate this for Ice, but UConn will still be a power. Vandy, not so much.

Reaction Score
This is horrible. Wishing her a speedy recovery. I was very much looking forward to her progress this year after an impressive summer with USA basketball.

Assuming that Dorka and Aaliyah are starters, does that mean Amari will be the backup center? (I consider Ayanna a forward). Albeit a very talented forward, but a little undersized for the center position.
Clearly backup C is now a question mark. Before this injury the top candidates were Amari and Ice, and there might have been more that thought Ice was the better bet. Now it is Amari's to lose, but there are other alternatives, it's just that they are all PF's. PF was our deepest position and even after this injury, we have three above average players that can play there in Aaliyah, Ayanna and Aubrey.

Aaliyah might have to play some C, with Ayanna or Aubrey at the PF spot during that stretch. That is not ideal with Aaliyah having to play a significant part of her minutes out of position, but you are still putting quality players on the floor. Amari could make all that a mute point if she shows she can handle the backup role. Ayanna might be able to play C, but with an extra inch and more bulk to bang I would think Aaliyah would be a better choice.

Aubrey might have been considered the 5th small option previously because of our lack of depth there, and being loaded at PF. Now I think she will get some minutes consistently at the 3 and the 4.

Reaction Score
For one thing, women have more ACL injuries than men as I understand it. If you are a woman soccer player you can almost assume you will have an ACL at least once in a professional career. So a lot of us men just don't get the frequency of acls. My personal suspicion these injuries are happening from all the diving for loose balls. Top teams want that level of hustle right? They expect and demand it. Paige bought into that as was great as a result but look what it cost her. A player like Paige might well have her career truncated from that approach but it's a big part of what makes her great.

My heart goes out to Ice, who had the whole world opening up for her this year and now will have to work hard to get that opportunity back. We all hate seeing it happen. Imagine if it were our daughter going through that. It's one of the great obstacles of life but we all have them right? Ice had hers early and before she even had a chance to display her ability this year. Now she needs to realize it's part of the game and when she works hard to come back it will be even more meaningful to her when she returns. So sad for her and wishing her strength and resilience!

Reaction Score
But don't you see?

Shea obviously adopted Hudy's training and conditioning methods.
That's why there have been such a rash of devastating injuries at Vandy.

There is a clear causality.

:rolleyes:
We all may have somewhat different definitions of " Causality". I
choose to suspend judgment. Because I don't know why this, or
many other life events occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics